View Poll Results: Safari DICOR/ Scorpio CRDE
Tata Safari DICOR 176 56.05%
Mahinra Scorpio CRDE 138 43.95%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9th October 2006, 14:41   #136
BHPian

Default When will 2.2 Safari arrive

Hi Guys any Idea when the new Safari 2.2l is expected. was hoping it would be for diwali. But looks like it is not going to be so.

last saturday we sold our Apr. 2004 Indigo with 80000km on odo for 3.35 L ( in Hyderabad). I never expected it to go for that much. so planning for new vehicle.

My father wants a Innova and I want a Safari. if we can expect the new Safari by Jan at the latest we will try to wait wait till then .

Any information would be of help. Thanks in advance

bye
Rahul
Old 14th October 2006, 12:47   #137
NIP
Senior - BHPian

dunno abt the safari...but a lil' birdie told me theres a 2.2ltr stinger waiting to pounce you 'round the next corner
Old 14th October 2006, 13:56   #138
BHPian

hi ,
do you guys have any idea about the engine specs of the new supposed to be launch 2.2l safari.planing to buy dicor.what do u guys say.is it worth the wait.pls throw sum light on this new engine.
Old 15th October 2006, 09:04   #139
BHPian

Default hope it is out fast

could convince my father to wait till new year but if it not out by then it would be waste to wait till then.

Why don't Tata people come out with a statement saying that a next generation Safari is going to be out next year or some other year. Keeping it as secret they are going to loose customers down the line because ppl will not be sure when a next generation car is going to be launched.
Old 20th October 2006, 02:05   #140
BHPian

sources have it that an official announcement should be made around feb-march,and the vehicle in question(2.2l)has already done rounds with the local dealers and has a said 140hp output and is a fast machine the vehicle is undergoing comprahensive testing in india and abroad,it is not expected to be a problem child like dicor as it is going to be produced in the same production line as the export models...
Old 22nd October 2006, 13:44   #141
BHPian

Default 2.2L - In 3rd Quarter of 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r
Hi Guys any Idea when the new Safari 2.2l is expected. was hoping it would be for diwali. But looks like it is not going to be so.
From The Hindu Business Line :

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/...1501660200.htm

While the company averages sales of 18,500 units on a monthly basis (January-July 2006), the existing annual production capacity of 2.9 lakh would have sufficed the market demands, but industry sources said that the company is gearing up for forthcoming product launches based on the X2 (new Tata Sumo model) and X3 (new Tata Safari) platform.
These expected models are likely to cover up the remaining expanded production capacity at its Pune plant. These models are most likely to be introduced in the third quarter of the fiscal year 2007-08.
Old 22nd October 2006, 21:14   #142
BHPian

scorpio definitely, its a stylish SUV at that price!

Safari was brilliant when it first arrived on the scene, now though it looks dated........though its wonderful for long trips as it offer high level of comfort!

Scorpio is a more versatile SUV i feel
Old 23rd October 2006, 09:09   #143
Senior - BHPian

Owning both, the Safari 4x4 1998 & Scorpio Glx 2004, I can say that while the Scorpio is peppy and a runaway on instatnt accelaration, it is the Safari that has a road prescence and a tap on the foghorn makes the driver in the front cower and scoot to left to give way.

Safari is an out and out highway machine. Has an excellant road grip and comes into its own after attaining a speed of 80 Kmph. It is totally a comfort machine for the roads. Everything is availalbe at the touch of the buttons. One needs only to get out to change the tyres or to have a leak.

What bugged me about the Scorpio was that at that price, even for the base model, why couldn't they give power assisted side rear view mirrors? And shockingly even today on the top line CRDe the mirror is manually adjusted.

Still I love both of my brutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markiv
scorpio definitely, its a stylish SUV at that price!

Safari was brilliant when it first arrived on the scene, now though it looks dated........though its wonderful for long trips as it offer high level of comfort!

Scorpio is a more versatile SUV i feel

Last edited by gd1418 : 23rd October 2006 at 09:10.
Old 24th October 2006, 14:23   #144
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ gd1418 : How do you find the braking of the two? Whos better at higher speeds?
Old 24th October 2006, 21:23   #145
Senior - BHPian

The Scorpio came into my stable on 24th Sept'06. Haven't driven it over long distance. Just doing the city running. I find the brakes a little spongy and not ipto the mark.

Though the brakes of safari are also not much to talk about, but better than Scorpio's. I dunno about the new DICORs. Haven't driven one as yet.

Once I do a long distance on the Scorpio then only will I be able to comment on which brute being better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
@ gd1418 : How do you find the braking of the two? Whos better at higher speeds?
Old 25th October 2006, 11:30   #146
BHPian

Since we have been mulling over the virtues of the engine of the scorpio and the ride and high speed stability of a safari...wouldn't it be a good idea to retrofit the CRDe scorpio engine inside a safari ????

Since the weight for both these beasts is almost similar, I am sure the free reving scorpio engine would be the best cure for the current problems associated with the lethargic nature / limited revability of the DICOR engine in a safari...so you have the best of both worlds..what say ?

Has anyone experimented with such an engine swap ?

keep thos views coming in...

~A
Old 25th October 2006, 11:40   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityapd
Since we have been mulling over the virtues of the engine of the scorpio and the ride and high speed stability of a safari...wouldn't it be a good idea to retrofit the CRDe scorpio engine inside a safari ????
And I was thinking more in terms of plonking in a Terracan engine into the Safari. If we're going to do an engine swap, why not do it in style?
Old 25th October 2006, 13:19   #148
Senior - BHPian

The Safari design is getting on a bit. The Scorpio still appears fresh, even though it was conceived in the mid-90s. I would pick the Scorpio over the Safari for now.

But I would be interested in the Safari replacement, built on the new UV chassis from Tata, due in a few years. One hopes it would be lighter, comes with refined engines, minus the electric niggles and fitted with essential electronic saftey features.
Old 25th October 2006, 14:56   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
And I was thinking more in terms of plonking in a Terracan engine into the Safari. If we're going to do an engine swap, why not do it in style?
well..I was just trying to be more practical Steeroid and obviously a terracan engine would be a good option provided you can find one easily and also what about the spares whenever something conks off in future ?

With Hyundai planning an upgrade / discontinuation of the model itself, furture spares availability is a BIg question mark.

~A
Old 25th October 2006, 15:14   #150
Senior - BHPian

Safari DICOR for me.
I travel for 3 hours everyday in the car and to places like Bandra and Juhu which are infested with autos. The safari would score over the Scorpio with its intimidating road presence and bucketloads of comfort.
Also, the car won't be raced so handling and performance, the 2 areas where the scorpio beats the safari wouldn't matter much.
The FE would matter but not at the cost of my spine.
Besides, i've been in love with the Safari ever since i can remember. It looks too hot in black with BLING alloys.
Closed Thread