Tata Safari DICOR 176 56.05%
Mahinra Scorpio CRDE 138 43.95%
Voters: 314. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30th September 2006, 18:42   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP
...someone also mentioned the masinagudi-ooty hairpins (kalhatty ghats). i do this stretch pretty often and trust me...i just tear up the cliff and dont need no ciggy break to cool my engine...! the scorp just loves this kinda beating and takes it without a whimper! i'm not so sure the safari can give you the same performance or even close to this on the same stretch.
NIP, mon ami, I do the Masanagudi ghats about twice a month...have been driving that road since 1986, actually, in all sorts of vehicles...and no one, but no one, just "tears" up that ghat! Went up there last week for the first time in my new Dicor in 2nd/3rd mostly and had to get into first for the left-hand hairpin bends - the car's performance impressed me no end (not that I expected any less ). I believe in sticking to the left hand side of the road - specially on the narrow Seegur Ghat, and that effectively prevents me (as also anyone else) from "tearing" up that ghat.

I do not want this to sound like I am crowing, but I overtook every vehicle on the road from Mysore to Ooty...including a few Scorpios. (So there! )

And for the off-road performance, lets not compare a 4X2 with a 4X4, what ever the make...it jsut isn't fair to the 4X2's, no matter how good they might be otherwise.
But if there's a 4X4 Scorpio owner in here, would love to compare notes with him!

Ciao!
Old 30th September 2006, 19:17   #107
NIP
Senior - BHPian

guys...no need to lose your shirt over this ! i said my scorpio can pull itself out of trouble 'ALMOST EVERYTIME'...suman baba...you need to read the posts carefully. i have gotten into trouble without the 4x4 and have had to abandon the vehicle and trek to reach certain places. and you can re-read my last post again about what i said about 'more capable' cheaper 4x4s.

i'm not debating that a 4x4 vehicle is better than a 4x2 is or not...it definitely is ! true...i love to explore and i love my vehicle (u guys make it sound like i should hate my vehicle...haha! )...it can basically go where some cars cant go. i'm not saying i go looking for crazy terrain to mudbash like the guys from 'jeep thrills'...just regular weekend hideaways that i love going to...

and condor...i didnt say check my garage for crazy offroad pics...they're just beautiful pix of my baby thats all ! besides...i've owned both mahindras and gypsies that are 4x4 and have had some 'serious fun' with them. condor...i've been there n done that before...no need to see someone elses pics...anyways i've seen GTO's pics before...one word...awesome !! and FYI i'm lookin out for a good condition classic (aint everyone...!? haha) !!

and now coming to you steeroid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid

We appreciate your love for your vehicle and the fact that you like to talk about its virtues. Making tall claims which bear no semblence to facts in order to rubbish other vehicles however is generally referred to by a term which I am not permitted to use under the rules of this forum.

This post has been made so that those that are reading this thread have the relevant facts before them. I do not wish to debate your assessment of your vehicle's capabilities.

As for the 4x2 v/s 4x4 claims ..... go ahead - we could use some entertainment here occassionally.
i dunno...u really want me to reply to that frustrated post ?! what are you saying ?! that the safai is better than the scorpio ?! ok...please yourself !! after evaluating some of your earlier posts..i hardly think it was worth even repling to your post...this is is generally referred to by a term which I am not permitted to use under the rules of this forum.

Last edited by NIP : 30th September 2006 at 19:31.
Old 30th September 2006, 22:09   #108
BHPian

Quote:
dunno...u really want me to reply to that frustrated post ?! what are you saying ?! that the safai is better than the scorpio ?! ok...please yourself
Hey NIP, From the above, it seems you are more frustrated than any one else. Cool it down. Steer, has just put the stats of two verhicles, which, as per your experience, sounded so very one sided, but looking at stats, nobody would belive your claims. Though Steer's comments are provoking, but rightly so, nobody would like to read anything which is so biased and prima facie contradicting stats on paper unless proved otherwise with evidence. I think, you need to go back and read your post once again.
Old 30th September 2006, 22:46   #109
NIP
Senior - BHPian

rajdoll...i think you're the one who needs to relook the posts once again. and also read steeroids statements in quotes in my last post and u'll know what i'm talkin about. i neither mean no offence to anyones vehicles nor am i biased...i'm just sayin what i think...this is an open forum, but i still dont think people should reply with such derogatory statements upfront.

ranjit...u go up the ghats twice a month !? wow...lucky guy. hit me up and i'll let you in on some pretty awesome 4x4 trails around the state...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjit
and no one, but no one, just "tears" up that ghat!
haha...i dont think u've met me yet then ranjit...we used to TEAR up that ghat in our souped gypsies and there was this once instance when we even blew the pistons on one of our mg410s on the last few hairpins on top. it was a weekend and the maruti service station there refused to fix it and we had to call in our rally service crew from bangy and they replaced the pistons in 3hrs flat !! (some pics here: http://multimediastudio.com/nidhi/ooty.htm) the site is really ancient...and i think the pics on it were taken back in 97 or 98...the gypsy king in the pics is me

Last edited by NIP : 30th September 2006 at 22:55.
Old 30th September 2006, 23:16   #110
BHPian

Quote:
i neither mean no offence to anyones vehicles nor am i biased...i'm just sayin what i think...
All I'm saying is please provide some logical/Mathematical/Statistical reasoning for your thinking apart from your feeling. You said Safaari is problem is more weight and height. Well weight I can agree to some extent but height... and does that weight difference really make Scorpio so very better, may be yes as per your thinking but somehow I and others could not digest that.
Quote:
this is an open forum and i dont think people should reply with such derogatory statements upfront.
I agree to that.
Old 30th September 2006, 23:39   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Scorpio : 25% (50% of 4x4)
Safari : 35% (60% of 4x4)
Don't mean to butt in, but; could you please elaborate as to how you calculated the gradeability? As in, percentage to degree conversion method?

Thanks.

EDIT: Just remembered that 30-degree gradient equals 50% in terms of Sine angle....I still can't figure out the conversion calcs..

Last edited by veyron1 : 30th September 2006 at 23:42.
Old 30th September 2006, 23:56   #112
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Don't mean to butt in, but; could you please elaborate as to how you calculated the gradeability? As in, percentage to degree conversion method?
The calculation for degree to percentile is x 1.66
Old 1st October 2006, 00:17   #113
Senior - BHPian

Err...by that formula, wouldn't the Scorpio's gradeability be 48 percent in 4x4 mode? (30 degrees x1.66)

Sorry, just confused...

Last edited by veyron1 : 1st October 2006 at 00:22.
Old 1st October 2006, 14:39   #114
GTO
Team-BHP Support

30 x 1.66 = 49.8..............
Old 1st October 2006, 14:50   #115
BHPian

Holy Moly! A bunch of techies here! But great picking up tips like this!
Thanks GTO and veyron1.

NIP, nice pics man! and a nice li'l write up about the Nilgiris! Am off again next week...planning a trip yourself anytime then?
Did the Ooty-Avalanchi-Korakundah-Ooty round in my Dicor the last time...nice trip but the overgrown accacia put a lot of scratches on my poor 'brand new' car!! :-(
(Wifey had a LOT to say about that when we got back....)
Old 1st October 2006, 14:51   #116
Senior - BHPian

I apologise. I took 1.6, not 1.66 as conversion constant.

Another stupid question- how is the constant arrived at? Parameters and formulae..? Just wanted to clarify.
Old 1st October 2006, 14:58   #117
GTO
Team-BHP Support

To be honest, I dont know. Just took this from a small 4x4 manual I have compiled with several hours of surfing and reading.
Old 1st October 2006, 15:04   #118
Senior - BHPian

Ah. Ok. Could you post the manual or perhaps the link..? Would be real helpful. Thanks.
Old 1st October 2006, 15:37   #119
Senior - BHPian

Who actually bothers to do true off roading in their Scorpio or Safari ? The vast majority of these cars will spend most their working lives on our roads with "off roading" limited to slightly deviating away from the road to the rough around it.

Both are very limited when it comes to off roading. People boast about the Safaris handling but according to the much mentioned Autocar India cone test even the old Scorpio performed better than the Safari . If you want off roading get a Trax as it can put both the Safari and Scorpio to shame.

In terms of looks, they are subjective and down to individual tastes. I will say one thing though the Safari needs a drastic make over or should I say redesign. When I see one I always get flash backs of the late 1980s.

As for the Scorpio. One thing Mahindra got right was the engine, this was a major failure on the TD Safari. The handling is nothing special (then same can be said of Safari if we consider the AC test rsults).
Old 1st October 2006, 20:56   #120

I prefer the Scorpio. However if I was buying used I would buy a Safari. As for off-roading I feel the old Mahindra Classic or Gypsy King would be far better.
Closed Thread