Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th March 2012, 17:33   #241
Senior - BHPian
 
m_upreti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 1,571
Thanked: 305 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
This is frustating as the same information is available in their website too, what do they think, someone who can take their mail id or toll free no from the website can not read it from there?
Expect it to be launched by July '12
m_upreti is offline  
Old 8th March 2012, 07:30   #242
BHPian
 
Fusion2006's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 150
Thanked: 23 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartik.virmani
...
Steering mounted Audio & phone control
...
At least they are not writing 'satellite audio' anymore!
Fusion2006 is online now  
Old 8th March 2012, 13:24   #243
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

As per your own thought process you would do well to wait and watch for a bit instead of jumping the gun in a hurry.

The Duster is bound to be a good vehicle because it has been tried and tested outside of India for a while now - unfortunately there is no 4x4 here which indeed was important from my perspective. Hence it went out of my consideration set -also because of the delay in launch etc.

Since you are anyway not in a hurry, if you can wait until say the year end or even the beginning of next year, the vehicle would have had a chance to bed down a bit in our conditions and more importantly Renault would have been able to open up a few more service centres.

I think that is a better way to go unlike this mad rush business like what happened with the XUV on account of its price vs features & bling value proposition!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The way people are looking at:

1. If books start by mass, after the vehicle is launched, many hope, the story would be same as XUV. Those who want to buy will have to wait for a long time.
2. I predict same would be the story with Ecosport as well.
3. Hence many are OK to pay the booking, which is anyway refundable.
4. But people dont want to take the risk of getting drowned in the deluge of bookings once it starts.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 8th March 2012, 13:46   #244
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,604
Thanked: 8,593 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I think that is a better way to go unlike this mad rush business like what happened with the XUV on account of its price vs features & bling value proposition!
I am not all in a hurry. Would rather wait to see the dust settle on these UVs, before
I decide. Hopefully by next year, one of these guys (at least Duster) should have decision made in terms of how it does.
ampere is offline  
Old 8th March 2012, 18:24   #245
BHPian
 
Rigid Rotor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 236
Thanked: 124 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

+1 to that. We really need to wait a bit and see as to how the Duster shapes out.
On the maintainability front - the Renault workshop network is still very sparse. Appears to be just one dealer-cum-workshop listed for the whole of Bangalore! A similar situation exists for Delhi - as someone had also pointed out a few posts earlier.
There was a press release some time back regarding Renault's intentions of increasing their dealer & workshop network significantly. Doesn't seem to have translated into anything yet on the ground, however.
Rigid Rotor is offline  
Old 8th March 2012, 20:52   #246
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,652
Thanked: 244 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
+1 to that. We really need to wait a bit and see as to how the Duster shapes out.
On the maintainability front - the Renault workshop network is still very sparse. Appears to be just one dealer-cum-workshop listed for the whole of Bangalore! A similar situation exists for Delhi - as someone had also pointed out a few posts earlier.
There was a press release some time back regarding Renault's intentions of increasing their dealer & workshop network significantly. Doesn't seem to have translated into anything yet on the ground, however.

That will be completed by August 2012.

Quote:
An extensive distribution network through the country will be completed before August 2012. A minimum of 35 cities will be covered (14 were opened as of May 2011). In addition, a Sales & Marketing team was organized within Renault India.
Source

Just FYI, the current duster is 4.31m length attracting 22% tax, if they can shed 0.31m they can further save 12% tax to 10% for below 4m but since its a Global product, I am not sure if they will be inclined to change the specs initially for India.

Last edited by dadu : 8th March 2012 at 20:55.
dadu is offline  
Old 9th March 2012, 20:58   #247
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,437 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

IAB uploads some new pics of the duster. I am surprised that this is a much smaller car than I expected. Just the height of a autorickshaw! the driver sits at almost the same height as the rick driver.

Name:  dus.jpg
Views: 1618
Size:  156.7 KB

See how wide the car is! I don't think it's a skewed image since the Alto in front looks alright! Guess there will be enough shoulder room and also the car should be really stable owing to less height and great width!

Name:  dus_1.jpg
Views: 1934
Size:  155.9 KB

More pics here: Renault Duster testing in Chennai - a set on Flickr

Detailed report here: Renault Duster testing in Chennai with camouflage

Edit:: I feel there could be a difficulty parking this in right spots due to the width! Are we seeing alloy wheels in these pics?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th March 2012 at 21:05.
swiftnfurious is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th March 2012, 22:25   #248
BHPian
 
asdon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 950
Thanked: 293 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

I am ok with height till the time they don't touch the GC, looking at the picture I think this SUV will have very less body roll and stable at high speeds.
asdon is offline  
Old 10th March 2012, 10:00   #249
BHPian
 
sumeshmani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: bangalore
Posts: 477
Thanked: 104 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Thanks for the link. These are useful photos, gves us a bit more understanding on the cars relative dimensions.
None of the photos give away any clues about the SUV being 4x4 or 4x2. I know, like many members commented, chance of a 4x4 is slim. Just wishful thinking on my part .
sumeshmani is offline  
Old 10th March 2012, 13:12   #250
BHPian
 
liferocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: gurgaon
Posts: 67
Thanked: 39 Times
Question re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
IAB uploads some new pics of the duster. I am surprised that this is a much smaller car than I expected. Just the height of a autorickshaw! the driver sits at almost the same height as the rick driver.

Edit:: I feel there could be a difficulty parking this in right spots due to the width! Are we seeing alloy wheels in these pics?
Seems like a lower trim. no body colored bumpers or OVRM
liferocks is offline  
Old 10th March 2012, 16:35   #251
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by liferocks View Post
Seems like a lower trim. no body colored bumpers or OVRM
The bumpers are body colored, though they have been camouflaged.

Are they doing it the Figo way? Body colored bumpers on all the models?

I am still waiting to see it in flesh. Renault, at atleast bring it to showrooms!
ObsessedByFIAT is offline  
Old 10th March 2012, 19:47   #252
BHPian
 
man_and_machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 428
Thanked: 215 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

how far is usually a car from its launch from road testing?
man_and_machine is offline  
Old 10th March 2012, 23:06   #253
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post
how far is usually a car from its launch from road testing?
I think it depends on the manufacturer. For example, Mahindra usually tests their cars for a minimum of six months before official launch. Tata has been testing the Strome for I don't know how many months, or maybe years.

What I have read and understand is, usually companies keep a target mileage which they cover on the products (KM per per day or likes of it) before any official word.

Though I stand corrected, if anyone has better insight, please do share. Even I had this question for sometime now.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline  
Old 10th March 2012, 23:21   #254
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 8,934 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
I think it depends on the manufacturer. For example, Mahindra usually tests their cars for a minimum of six months before official launch. Tata has been testing the Strome for I don't know how many months, or maybe years.

What I have read and understand is, usually companies keep a target mileage which they cover on the products (KM per per day or likes of it) before any official word.

Though I stand corrected, if anyone has better insight, please do share. Even I had this question for sometime now.
Indian Manufacturers test the products at the time of development stage, so it takes longer for them to put the car in production. It normally takes years.

On the other side Foreign Manufacturers mostly have the car ready and it only needs to be adapted for our conditions so it may not require rigorous testing.
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th March 2012, 23:26   #255
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 532
Thanked: 198 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Indian Manufacturers test the products at the time of development stage, so it takes longer for them to put the car in production. It normally takes years.

On the other side Foreign Manufacturers mostly have the car ready and it only needs to be adapted for our conditions so it may not require rigorous testing.
Thanks! But then why is the Duster being tested for so long? Not sure of other brands because I have never really followed any of the new launches so very closely.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra to unveil new Gusto 110 cc scooter at Auto Expo 2014 EDIT: Now Launched Aditya Motorbikes 7 16th September 2016 20:57
Force Motors (including Force One 4x4) @ Auto Expo 2012 GTO The Indian Car Scene 32 19th March 2016 10:44
Audi (including Q3 and A3 e-tron concept) @ Auto Expo 2012 jalsa777 The Indian Car Scene 53 2nd February 2013 20:43
Nissan (including Leaf) @ Auto Expo 2012 Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 52 25th October 2012 22:00
Jaguar Land Rover (including C-X75 & Defender Concept) @ Auto Expo 2012 jalsa777 The Indian Car Scene 12 16th January 2012 01:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks