Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 13th January 2012, 17:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Would there be any photos showing the interior setup for Duster? Also how would the seating capacity be? would it have 2 rows ? with an Indian Jugaad of baby seats in the row? Any idea on the GC for this SUV?
A pity that such cars do not have 4*4 option even at the top of the line :(
Old 13th January 2012, 17:53   #32
BHPian

Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

I just wanted to mention about "Crash Test" in my earlier post abut Euro NCAP Safety tests. I am sorry if paragraphs compiled by me indicate any other thing than structure build quality and crumple zones.

I am more focused on crumple zones and structure rigidity becasue without intelligently applied crumple zones there is no benefit of airbags. Our Indian SUVs don't have safe cabin area becasue they don't have crumple zones, so the cabin also gets distorted/damaged badly in case of collision or roll-over and airbags alone can't help much in those situations.

My other point was lower body height of Duster, so ratio of width and height is much more compared to other boxy SUVs and ultimately this ratio decreases chances of roll-over.

I am not 100% sure but whatever little knowledge I have is that Duster has monocoque construction, which is also termed as more safer construction than the frame on chassis built. Can someone please confirm if its a monocoque or not.
Old 14th January 2012, 10:08   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

I am not 100% sure but whatever little knowledge I have is that Duster has monocoque construction, which is also termed as more safer construction than the frame on chassis built. Can someone please confirm if its a monocoque or not.

It is a monocoque chassis based on the Logan, but strengthened (Don't know strengthened in what way)
Old 14th January 2012, 16:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti

Expected pricing as per the dealer is 8-11 lacs across 5 varients (Petrol & Diesel).

Size wise I did a small comparison, re-attaching in this thread (Last 2 rows Wheel Base & Ground Clearance).

It is smaller in length and height but wider than the Scorpio
1 feet shorter than scorpio, which is a serious concern for road presence. Heard on overdrive that price will be 7-8 lacs. If that is the case, I would want to consider the options. Foldable two single seats in the back would have been good for large families with kids.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma
I quiet liked the rear, but the front end seems a bit, hmmm, alto-ish, especially the 8th picture. Hope they don't do a fluence/koleos on the pricing. How big is it, say, compared to a scorpio? Does it look like a big hatch on stilts?

Its nearly 1 feet short than the scorpio which has a major concern for road presence on bullied Indian roads. Just imagine a 5 footer standing next to a 6 footer.

Last edited by Tommie : 14th January 2012 at 16:36.
Old 15th January 2012, 02:43   #35
BHPian

If not for the wind shield, it is difficult to know which side is front and which is the rear of the Renault Dezir concept. Looks very unconventional from the outside. I also could not figure out where the head lights are for the concept vehicle.
The interiors look really good in the concept though.
Old 15th January 2012, 11:12   #36
BHPian

For everyone here who would like more perspective on Why/Why-not you need a 4WD/AWD, see http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/suvs-m...ainst-4x2.html (Why should one buy a 4WD (4X4 system)/ AWD as against a 4x2?)

The responses there are a good starting-point to consider Renault Duster (even without 4WD version) when it does get launched.
- Proven engine
- High Ground clearance
- Diesel is probably the more suitable version
- Lighter weight compared to current SUVs (read SUMO, Scorpio, Safari, etc.)
Old 16th January 2012, 11:19   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Would there be any photos showing the interior setup for Duster? Also how would the seating capacity be? would it have 2 rows ? with an Indian Jugaad of baby seats in the row? Any idea on the GC for this SUV?
A pity that such cars do not have 4*4 option even at the top of the line :(
Few videos of Duster from Morocco. Its been a super hit there with the most selling model during the first half of 2011. Its the highest selling SUV in Spain and France during 2011. This SUV has managed to surpass models like Volkswagen Polo, Ford Fiesta and Volkswagen Golf in the sales ranking in France, and was the first non-French model in Top 10. The european competition is mainly with the Skoda Yeti.

Duster sold 71,000 units in the first 6 months of launch

The pricing would be the first concern for this car since it is expected to be only 2/3rd the price of yeti.

Last edited by Tommie : 16th January 2012 at 11:28.
Tommie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 12:25   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
1 feet shorter than scorpio, which is a serious concern for road presence. Heard on overdrive that price will be 7-8 lacs. If that is the case, I would want to consider the options. Foldable two single seats in the back would have been good for large families with kids.Its nearly 1 feet short than the scorpio which has a major concern for road presence on bullied Indian roads. Just imagine a 5 footer standing next to a 6 footer.
It is actually 11.58 Cm shorter than the Scorpio, that is less than 1/2 a foot.

Also, it is a 5 seater, compared to Scorpio which is a 7/8 seater.
Old 16th January 2012, 13:07   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
It is actually 11.58 Cm shorter than the Scorpio, that is less than 1/2 a foot.

Also, it is a 5 seater, compared to Scorpio which is a 7/8 seater.
I am not sure where you got this information that the height difference is only 11.58 cm.

Here is the specs

Duster:
Length 4315 mm
Width 1821 mm
Height 1631 mm
Wheelbase 2672 mm
Ground Clearance 210 mm

Scorpio:
Length 4430 mm
Width 1817 mm
Height 1975 mm
Wheelbase 2680 mm
Ground Clearance 180 mm

Height difference = 1975-1631= 344 mm = 34.4 cm = 1.14 feet.
Old 16th January 2012, 13:19   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommie View Post
I am not sure where you got this information that the height difference is only 11.58 cm.

Here is the specs

Duster:
Length 4315 mm
Width 1821 mm
Height 1631 mm
Wheelbase 2672 mm
Ground Clearance 210 mm

Scorpio:
Length 4430 mm
Width 1817 mm
Height 1975 mm
Wheelbase 2680 mm
Ground Clearance 180 mm

Height difference = 1975-1631= 344 mm = 34.4 cm = 1.14 feet.
Hi, I was talking about length not Height , but while the current height of the Scorpio gives it a great stance it is more of a liability as far as stability is concerned.
Old 16th January 2012, 16:31   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Hi, I was talking about length not Height , but while the current height of the Scorpio gives it a great stance it is more of a liability as far as stability is concerned.
I have to agree with that bit. A lower centre of gravity is always good for overall stability of the car. The very reason why performance cars are structured as lower to the ground as possible.

In case of Duster, it has excellent ground clearance and at the same time the total height is lower than most of the SUVs. That is an excellent attribute.
Old 17th January 2012, 10:28   #42
Senior - BHPian

I cannot recollect the source of this article (guess it might have been shared on some other thread as well). However it reveals the on/off road capabilities of the Duster. Also it talks about the THE GENESIS OF DUSTER:

A, global project to meet an unsatisfied demand. The Duster project began with a simple premise: there is a genuine need around the world for a comfortable, robust and affordable 4x4. However, this demand is not currently being met. Aware of this, Renault developed an all-terrain vehicle aimed primarily at emerging markets.

Renault Dacia Duster.pdf
AutoIndian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 13:14   #43
BHPian

@Autoindian: Thanks for the detailed pdf document. Very informative and specific details. Hope the 4x4 comes to India. There is no doubt about the market for Duster in India, particularly getting a world class entry level SUV below the 12 lakhs price range. I am eagerly waiting for its release (fingers crossed).
Old 17th January 2012, 13:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

I remember either seeing this or posting it on the other earlier speculative Duster thread.
It is indeed a superb thought process on their part and clearly there is a crying need for compact SUV's in India, given the condition of our roads!
And despite all this cost engineering and so on, they should certainly bring in the 4x4 in Euro spec, to India - in a sense if they do, it will be in keeping with their much vaunted "top down" strategy!
While there may be relatively few takers here for the 4x4, I think they will find that over time, the entry of this product will be more than justified.
Provided of course that they keep their pricing sensible.
I am 100% sure that if the top spec 4x4 is priced level with the Scorpio Vlx with Airbags, ABS and 4WD, or just below that variant, a lot of people will head towards Renault as it is definitely going to be a more refined and better handling product than the Scorpio can ever be!

If this comes in, it will be the perfect answer for the "budget yet quality conscious" SUV seeker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I cannot recollect the source of this article (guess it might have been shared on some other thread as well). However it reveals the on/off road capabilities of the Duster. Also it talks about the THE GENESIS OF DUSTER:

A, global project to meet an unsatisfied demand. The Duster project began with a simple premise: there is a genuine need around the world for a comfortable, robust and affordable 4x4. However, this demand is not currently being met. Aware of this, Renault developed an all-terrain vehicle aimed primarily at emerging markets.

Attachment 872690
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 17:02   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If this comes in, it will be the perfect answer for the "budget yet quality conscious" SUV seeker.
You totally read my mind. But the price part, given the logan diesel price when it launched, I suspect it to be more than 9 to 10L ex showroom. If it is M&M will raffle like anything to fix scorpio / release another product to combat.
Closed Thread