Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 09:41   #721
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,266
Thanked: 1,330 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I would therefore hazard the statement that a top spec duster with all safety stuff, diesel power, higher bhp engine, 4x4 etc is worth 12 to 13 on road blr, given the current pricing climate.
What is the latest pricing guesstimate on the bare bones dCi85 model? Few pages back, Nishant had mentioned a breakthrough pricing strategy starting at ex-showroom 8 lakhs!

I personally don't need anything apart from a reliable diesel engine, PS, AC and ABS.

Last edited by itwasntme : 8th June 2012 at 09:44. Reason: Reduced quotes
itwasntme is online now  
Old 8th June 2012, 09:53   #722
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme

What is the latest pricing guesstimate on the bare bones dCi85 model? Few pages back, Nishant had mentioned a breakthrough pricing strategy starting at ex-showroom 8 lakhs!

I personally don't need anything apart from a reliable diesel engine, PS, AC and ABS.
Might very well be true at 8 plus taxes etc to reach about 9?
An expectation of 8 On road blr is a little unrealistic.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th June 2012 at 09:59.
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 8th June 2012, 10:30   #723
Senior - BHPian
 
itwasntme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 2,266
Thanked: 1,330 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Yup, ex-showroom 8/8.25L would be ideal for a non-ABS/airbags version similar to the Scorpio LX and the Safari LX.

The problem is that the Renault Marketing team will have carefully studied the Scorpio pricing and robust sales figures, and could decide to add the 'Renault' + 'new car' premium to it. That would put it easily at 9L ex-showroom.

They must be deeply worried about the 80k diesel cess as well.

Also, Tata's may want to cash in with a huge price cut on the Safari LX to quickly convert all those who always wanted a 'budget' Safari but could never afford one. If they have any sense, I expect them to trim some stuff from the LX (even detune engine to 120bhp) and cut the price to around 7.25L ex-showroom.
itwasntme is online now  
Old 8th June 2012, 11:47   #724
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 263
Thanked: 126 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

My enthusiasm about Renault Duster is fizzing out with all these talks about the vehicle being priced 10+ Lacs. I am not going to pay anything more than 9 OTR here in Mumbai and now have to think of alternatives.

I shall however wait for the actual product launch before making any decision final.

Did you notice my signature? It won't stay there for long now.
Animesh is offline  
Old 8th June 2012, 12:37   #725
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 49
Thanked: 22 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animesh View Post
My enthusiasm about Renault Duster is fizzing out with all these talks about the vehicle being priced 10+ Lacs. I am not going to pay anything more than 9 OTR here in Mumbai and now have to think of alternatives.

I shall however wait for the actual product launch before making any decision final.

Did you notice my signature? It won't stay there for long now.
Yes, agree with you. Initial euphoria is going to die down when the price is revealed. Ford Fiesta story going to repeat again.

I am eagerly waiting for the pricing, and if they price is north of 8L, then my money is going to Skoda Rapid.
smartindboy is offline  
Old 8th June 2012, 12:38   #726
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Pune
Posts: 920
Thanked: 362 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Shankar, I agree with you. I have been tracking the Duster for more than a year now I think. I would overlook the interiors and other shortcomings. But for someone who is perhaps depending on a test drive without that background perspective, the interiors will not be pleasing at lets say 12-13 lakhs but lower one maybe willing to overlook.

You have Yeti which itself is overpriced but sit in a Yeti as its as good as any car in that price range in terms of interiors and features and specs, the Duster is a different breed so the more I look at it the more I feel the pricing has to be spot on to work for volumes which Renault would want from the Duster.

Thar didn't really work and the Scorpio and the Duster buyer I think will be different. There will be an overlap but the Duster will appeal to a broader audience.
raul is offline  
Old 8th June 2012, 15:34   #727
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 630
Thanked: 323 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Oh they are just plain titillating now ..
Renault have again changed the picture on the Duster link !!

Renault - DUSTER
BUXX is offline  
Old 8th June 2012, 16:24   #728
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul
Shankar, I agree with you. I have been tracking the Duster for more than a year now I think. I would overlook the interiors and other shortcomings. But for someone who is perhaps depending on a test drive without that background perspective, the interiors will not be pleasing at lets say 12-13 lakhs but lower one maybe willing to overlook.

You have Yeti which itself is overpriced but sit in a Yeti as its as good as any car in that price range in terms of interiors and features and specs, the Duster is a different breed so the more I look at it the more I feel the pricing has to be spot on to work for volumes which Renault would want from the Duster.

Thar didn't really work and the Scorpio and the Duster buyer I think will be different. There will be an overlap but the Duster will appeal to a broader audience.
Incidentally I also, like you, used to think the Yeti was overpriced but after buying one, I have completely changed that thought. Just do a comparo of the same spec Yeti in the UK, Europe and Australia and you will see that it is very fairly priced in India. Part of the perception that it is expensive is on account of its smaller compact dimensions because here we tend to go by size, consciously or sub consciously. But for its type, it is an excellently clever little beast. Do a feature comparo of the Yeti vs even a Captiva or X Trail and you will see what I mean.

Yes the Duster is a different animal and needs to be priced well to succeed. But think on it, their Fluence itself, specifically the cheaper Advantage edition which has the 1.5DCi engine which develops 110 bhp, is at 11.99 lacs ex showroom. Do you really think they can get a top spec 4wd Duster with similar engine specs at any less?

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th June 2012 at 16:26.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 16:30   #729
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DELHI
Posts: 630
Thanked: 323 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

^ actually yes, I would say.
Renault have never marketed Fluence as a VFM product and frankly the French would have gasped in agony if there was a built-to-a-cost-tag associated with any of their products.

While Dacia designed & built the Duster with exactly that thought.
BUXX is offline  
Old 8th June 2012, 21:31   #730
BHPian
 
mohandasnikhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 273
Thanked: 238 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan
But think on it, their Fluence itself, specifically the cheaper Advantage edition which has the 1.5DCi engine which develops 110 bhp, is at 11.99 lacs ex showroom.
The Fluence Advantage Edition doesn't have the upgraded 110bhp engine. It is basically the old E2 model (106bhp) stock without the engine upgrade being sold as a different edition.
mohandasnikhil is offline  
Old 8th June 2012, 22:04   #731
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohandasnikhil

The Fluence Advantage Edition doesn't have the upgraded 110bhp engine. It is basically the old E2 model (106bhp) stock without the engine upgrade being sold as a different edition.
Even more reason then, why it will be a challenge to plug the Duster at a lower price!
shankar.balan is offline  
Old 8th June 2012, 23:39   #732
BHPian
 
mohandasnikhil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 273
Thanked: 238 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan

Even more reason then, why it will be a challenge to plug the Duster at a lower price!
Well the Duster will definitely be positioned below the Fluence when it comes to pricing even though they are cars from different segments. I'm pretty convinced the Base Diesel will go at around 8.99 ex showroom.
mohandasnikhil is offline  
Old 9th June 2012, 11:32   #733
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 224
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Incidentally I also, like you, used to think the Yeti was overpriced but after buying one, I have completely changed that thought. Just do a comparo of the same spec Yeti in the UK, Europe and Australia and you will see that it is very fairly priced in India. Part of the perception that it is expensive is on account of its smaller compact dimensions because here we tend to go by size, consciously or sub consciously. But for its type, it is an excellently clever little beast. Do a feature comparo of the Yeti vs even a Captiva or X Trail and you will see what I mean.

Yes the Duster is a different animal and needs to be priced well to succeed. But think on it, their Fluence itself, specifically the cheaper Advantage edition which has the 1.5DCi engine which develops 110 bhp, is at 11.99 lacs ex showroom. Do you really think they can get a top spec 4wd Duster with similar engine specs at any less?
With due respect to individual experiences and opinions , the Yeti may be VFM for a few , but look at the monthly numbers Vs some successful models like XUV500, Fortuner, Scorpio, Ertiga , Swift vis-a-vis the Aria, Yeti , Koleos, Pulse, Fluence.

I think Renault has enough examples to know the consequences based on it's pricing actions.
hubolt is offline  
Old 9th June 2012, 12:13   #734
BHPian
 
ashwin489's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: h20 War Zone
Posts: 242
Thanked: 382 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
the Yeti may be VFM for a few , but look at the monthly numbers Vs some successful models like XUV500
A car being VFM has nothing to do with sales figures or popular opinion. Labeling a car as "not VFM" based on its success or lack of it is silly.
ashwin489 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2012, 16:58   #735
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pune
Posts: 224
Thanked: 78 Times
Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin489 View Post
A car being VFM has nothing to do with sales figures or popular opinion. Labeling a car as "not VFM" based on its success or lack of it is silly.
It may seem silly to you, but not to the majority of buyers out there.

There may be exceptions but the general trend is so. See the monthly sales figure for the models mentioned.

I think ignoring this aspect just for those exceptional cases distorts one's perception of the market in general.

The pricing has to be what the customer will generally pay or else...
hubolt is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mahindra to unveil new Gusto 110 cc scooter at Auto Expo 2014 EDIT: Now Launched Aditya Motorbikes 7 16th September 2016 20:57
Force Motors (including Force One 4x4) @ Auto Expo 2012 GTO The Indian Car Scene 32 19th March 2016 10:44
Audi (including Q3 and A3 e-tron concept) @ Auto Expo 2012 jalsa777 The Indian Car Scene 53 2nd February 2013 20:43
Nissan (including Leaf) @ Auto Expo 2012 Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 52 25th October 2012 22:00
Jaguar Land Rover (including C-X75 & Defender Concept) @ Auto Expo 2012 jalsa777 The Indian Car Scene 12 16th January 2012 01:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:26.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks