Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 17th June 2012, 15:40   #916
BHPian

Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
While everything else may or may not match up Im sure it(Duster) will offer reliability and peace of mind!!
I'm also expecting reliability to be a notch up, but its too early to tell. Though the base engine (in a lower state of tune) is proven in Logan, the higher tune is yet to prove itself in the Indian scenario (Dusty environment, Poor Fuel Quality, Poor maintenance and driving habits). At 110 BHP from a 1.5 litre mill, I expect it to be one of the most stressed low-capacity diesel engines in India.

Is the 110BHP motor equipped with a VGT?

The major issue however would be Renault's wafer-thin service network which is a nightmare of sorts...A few months back, I saw a bunch of Fluence cars being serviced in an open public ground!!! I guess the cars were collected at some service point without any service facility.

Last edited by Digital Vampire : 17th June 2012 at 15:59.
Old 17th June 2012, 15:46   #917
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
While everything else may or may not match up Im sure it(Duster) will offer reliability and peace of mind!!
But for that, Renault will have to expand massively, in order to reach higher levels of customer satisfaction. The Dealer-network needs to be widened if it has to have an impact on the sales of cars like the Safari and the to-be-launched Storme.
Old 17th June 2012, 16:05   #918
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Vampire View Post
The major issue however would be Renault's wafer-thin service network which is a nightmare of sorts...A few months back, I saw a bunch of Fluence cars being serviced in an open public ground which I guess was collected at some service point without any service facility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
But for that, Renault will have to expand massively, in order to reach higher levels of customer satisfaction. The Dealer-network needs to be widened if it has to have an impact on the sales of cars like the Safari and the to-be-launched Storme.
I think it would be safe to assume that a lot of r&d might have gone into the Duster and it will most likely have very less niggles if at all.
Regarding service network - if I had to plonk my money on a reliable vehicle with a small service network to an unreliable niggly vehicle with a huge service network, i would choose the former. I would buy a Toyota even if it had no service network in India.

The Safari has been around for over a decade. The new avataar 2.2 was released in 2007 and they still churn out lemons and vehicles with niggles.
The Safari sure has its pros and cons but i would wait to see the Duster in flesh before i drew parallels with an old hog.

I dont expect too much from the yet to be released Storme either going by the reliability and niggles on the Aria.
So for the price mentioned, I think the Renault surely looks like it has a chance.
But I surely think that if i had to choose between an XUV (which is more modern in comparison to a Safari) and a Duster, I would pick the Duster.

I wonder how long it will take Tata & Mahindra to offer topnotch products which are reliable and niggle free.
And with their overseas acquisitions they have now become International -jugaad ki dukaan - instead of international khiladi!!

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 17th June 2012 at 16:12.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2012, 16:18   #919
BHPian

In EMEA the difference between the 85 and 110 is around 1500 euros and the 4x2 and the 4x4 around 2000 euros. See here - Duster SUV Preise und Ausstattung - DACIA

The options packs complicate the pricing somewhat. There is no doubt the Duster is a reliable car, most internet opinion and forums point to this.

But for a modern car buyer its offering is a back to basics vehicle, and while the base is real value the options with features one needs today takes it to the cost of much more modern engineered vehicles.

Mahindra didn't try to make a cheap car with the XUV, its just that their detailing is not very good - example the interiors, the front grill and the rear mustache - completely pointless. The XUV has everything to look much better than it currently does, like a 18 lakh plus SUV category we see. At 13 lakhs you are too close to the base XUV, more powerful engine, multi link rear suspension, modern interiors, more space, support network all over the country, much more value. Renault needs to find the sweet spot for the Duster.

Last edited by raul : 17th June 2012 at 16:20.
Old 17th June 2012, 17:03   #920
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
10.50 Lakhs - 1.5-liter Diesel (110 BHP)

16" alloys on 110 BHP Diesel. It also gets rear AC.
If this top-end version is going to be the i20 Asta of the Duster range (i.e. loaded with equipment), is sufficiently spacious and drives decently, then I'm sold on it.
Old 17th June 2012, 18:06   #921
BHPian

^^ Equipment on the Duster is barebones. Do not expect any gizmos & gadgetry. and whatever of that there will be in the Duster , it will nowhere be any close to that seen on the i20 Asta !!! the new i20 is almost space-age in comparison!

I for one, am kinda disappointed by the pricing of the 110 Diesel. It should not have breached the 10L bracket Ex showroom, with all the bells & whistles & option packs and what nots.
Old 17th June 2012, 18:08   #922
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul
In EMEA the difference between the 85 and 110 is around 1500 euros and the 4x2 and the 4x4 around 2000 euros. See here - Duster SUV Preise und Ausstattung - DACIA

The options packs complicate the pricing somewhat. There is no doubt the Duster is a reliable car, most internet opinion and forums point to this.

But for a modern car buyer its offering is a back to basics vehicle, and while the base is real value the options with features one needs today takes it to the cost of much more modern engineered vehicles.

Mahindra didn't try to make a cheap car with the XUV, its just that their detailing is not very good - example the interiors, the front grill and the rear mustache - completely pointless. The XUV has everything to look much better than it currently does, like a 18 lakh plus SUV category we see. At 13 lakhs you are too close to the base XUV, more powerful engine, multi link rear suspension, modern interiors, more space, support network all over the country, much more value. Renault needs to find the sweet spot for the Duster.
Reliability dear man! That's important too and the XUV hasnt exactly covered itself with glory on that front.
Lets also remember that we are a half starved market yet, so things like the Duster at 10 odd lacs for the top end, will certainly see some success!
Old 17th June 2012, 23:19   #923
BHPian

Quote:
Renault Duster Pricing (ex-Delhi)

7.40 Lakhs - 1.6-liter Petrol
8.50 Lakhs - 1.5-liter Diesel (85 BHP)

16" alloys on 110 BHP Diesel. It also gets rear AC.
15" steel wheels on 85 BHP Diesel.
10.5 ex-showroom will roughly be 12.6 OTR in Bangalore. For this engine spec, rear AC and additional gizmos, it seems to be worth it. I may not buy it due to my budget constraints. At the same time, the 85 bhp tune seems affordable for me. One of the top things i am looking for is space for five.
Sad to see there is no 15" Alloys on offer. I wonder what else has been slipped out of this version. The cost delta to the 110 bhp version seems to support the fact that all might not be well in the 85 bhp spec version
Old 18th June 2012, 00:08   #924
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUXX
^^ Equipment on the Duster is barebones. Do not expect any gizmos & gadgetry. and whatever of that there will be in the Duster , it will nowhere be any close to that seen on the i20 Asta !!! the new i20 is almost space-age in comparison!
I meant equivalent. I don't really care as long as I have basics like ABS, airbags, steering mounted volume controls, aux-in and electric ORVMs. And height adjustable driver seat. These are gizmos for me and if the Duster has them then it is perfect.

I didn't really mean xenons, cruise control, electric seats and sunroof and all that jazz. If it offers the above basic stuff, then it is the same as our i20 or 320d for me.
Old 18th June 2012, 00:25   #925
BHPian

Somehow the comparison of the Duster with Safari, Scorpio and even the XUV seems a bit odd to me. They may all be called SUVs, but the Duster in my opinion is very different from the Safari and Scorpio and to an extent even the XUV.

To me the Duster is the "sedan" amongst all SUVs' so to say. how can you compare a 2.2 L engine to 1.5? Weight, dimensions and handling are all different. Its natural to compare due to pricing and abilities, but as a customer if I were looking for a Safari or a Scorpio I might look at the Duster, but if I am looking for a Duster I would not look at the former two.
As a fair comparison I would have looked at a Hard top Diesel Maruthi Gypsy next gen (if one existed). The price seems fair to me, the electronics do not cost much so I guess more gizmos would not have added value to the true nature of the car (its welcome, but not critical).
Remember how much the City sells (in the petrol sedan category) even though it lacks most of the Gizmos competitors have to offer (even tried putting the features of a Verna top (P) end v/s City and see how many ticks each get!).
Now that there are some parallels drawn b/w the Safari I am trying to think, whatfrom the list of Gizmos would a Safari user miss if he cross looks at the Duster?

I guess the best selling point the Duster will have (which none, meaning Safari, XUV or the Scorpio can offer) will be the answer to : Kitna detai hai? (translate <needed?>: What is the mileage?). Not all SUV buyers (or now a days aspiring) are now a days "power and stance" hungry (including me!). I want a go anywhere car, that is all! I would not like to buy a gas guzzler just for the fancy of size and power. ( I had a Indica, which was also a go anywhere car, but that's an old story).

So for the current pricing this is on target (could it have been less, sure less is always welcome!).
Waiting to see the car in flesh at the nearest showroom.
As an aside, I am still not very convinced with the French Auto Companies in India, it might take some time to settle in.
man_and_machine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 02:10   #926
BHPian

The pricing sure is complicated. I made a excel sheet - all figures in euros for the DCI versions - to give a rough idea of the pricing range for the various versions. I am sure it will be simpler here. Figures sourced from - http://dacia.elite-auto.fr/prix-dust...esel,4574.html

For context the Yeti diesel starts from 20k-27.5k for various tunes from 4x2 110 BHP base to top end 140 BHP 4x4 Elegance DSG. The Fluence is 17.3k to 18.5k.
Attached Thumbnails
Renault (including Duster Unveil) @ Auto Expo 2012 - EDIT: Now launched at 7.19 Lacs-duster-pricing-france.jpg  

Last edited by raul : 18th June 2012 at 02:22.
Old 18th June 2012, 09:50   #927
BHPian

So is that what the variants would be named as well?
Ambience (may be confusing with Skoda), Laurete, Delsey, Prestige?
Or like in Pulse as RxE, RxL & RxZ ?
I guess things will be clear in two days time.
Old 18th June 2012, 09:58   #928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A friend just called me with the possible DUSTER PRICING! Thanks!

He says his source is quite reliable, though the pricing is still not 100% finalized :

----------------------

Renault Duster Pricing (ex-Delhi)

7.40 Lakhs - 1.6-liter Petrol
8.50 Lakhs - 1.5-liter Diesel (85 BHP)
R
Rehaan, any updates from your birdie? Were these for the mid/top variants?

Why I ask is that IAB has reiterated today that THEIR birdie is standing by the 6L figure for the petrol and slightly more than 7L (say 7.25L) for the diesel I assume these will be for the bare-bones variants.

At these rates, they'll face a stampede at the booking counter - in my humble opinion, the aam junta think quite highly of the Logan/Verito diesel engine due to the innumerable Logan taxis around! Airport taxis with 1L km + is quite common with the engine still feeling 'tight' and without any obvious effects from the high mileage and general abuses meted out to them.

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th June 2012 at 10:02. Reason: Typo
Old 18th June 2012, 12:29   #929
Senior - BHPian

Dont know if this has been posted here before by someone.

I got this email from Renault today.

Dear Sir,

Thanks for writing to Renault India Customer Care. I appreciate your interest shown in our Renault Duster.

We are very glad to inform you that Renault Duster will be launched in India by the Month of July- 2012 . Once the car is launched the same will be intimated via our website Renault, Renault Cars, Renault Car Manufacturer in India. and various media also we would get in touch with to fix an appointment for the product Demonstration and a test drive .

Below are the core features of the car for your kind reference .

Duster (Core features)
Unique & Modern design
A trendy & compact urban SUV
Stylish Chrome grille
Twin barrel headlamps
16'' Alloy Wheels
Front Fog Lamps
Keyless Entry
ABS with Brake Assist & EBD
Dual front airbags
Plush Leather Upholstery
4 Speaker Music System with USB , AUX-IN & Bluetooth Connectivity
Steering mounted Audio & phone control
Rear Defogger, wiper & washer
Electrically adjustable Outside Rear View Mirrors
Rear Parking Sensors
475 Litre Trunk capacity

Thanks & Regards,

Renault India Customer Care .
h@r$h@l is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2012, 12:43   #930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme

At these rates, they'll face a stampede at the booking counter - in my humble opinion, the aam junta think quite highly of the Logan/Verito diesel engine due to the innumerable Logan taxis around! Airport taxis with 1L km + is quite common with the engine still feeling 'tight' and without any obvious effects from the high mileage and general abuses meted out to them.
My regular cabbie drives a three and a half year old Logan. It had at last count, done 3.86 lac kms on the clock!
Perfectly comfortable vehicle. No untoward noises.

If thats the kind of longevity one can expect, them Renault are sure on to a winner!
Closed Thread