Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th January 2012, 22:09   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default re: BMW/ Mercedes India 2012 model updates,

^^ So Finally 525d will have a boosted twin-turbo version of the 20d 4 cylinder engine from 520d, instead of the current detuned version of 30d 6 cylinder engine from 530d.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2012, 23:26   #17
BHPian

Downsizing the motor in the 525d may not sound impressive but twin stage-two turbo's and additional 14bhp! Now that sounds nice ..When they make better, cleaner & economical performance.. You know technology is working in the right direction .. This shall make our soon 525d/530d purchase even sweeter.

@S350-E240L
Superb insider information bro. Any additions on the kit levels in the 525d?

Moving to the Mercedes aspect, C250 CDI still to be sold with 5-speed or will they finally be getting in the 7G-Tronic on it?
n:CorE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 09:29   #18
BHPian

@S350L-E240
Thanks for putting it all together on this new thread,anyone with queries on the BMW range now knows exactly where to look.
Pity if the 330d and/or 325d are not launched simultaneously with the new 320d.With the market replete with offerings in this segment,it will not be too long before either Merc or Audi probe this chink in BMW's hitherto impregnable armour and slot in a model,which rightfully should come from the BMW range if they wish to continue wearing the tag of"the Ultimate Driving Machine".No other car has worn this badge as convincingly,to my mind at least,as the BMW 3 and it will be a pity if BMW and it's customers in India miss the bus on this one.
Of course,it can be argued that sales of the 525d with the 4 cylinder twin turbo,as proposed by you,would be affected by a 330d/325d intruding on it's territory,hence the need to limit the upper end of the 3's performance.Pity that,in the process the car most ideally sized for our road conditions and traffic i.e. the 3,will miss out big time.
In my opinion, the 5 and 3 diesel ranges could be optimised by the following models being offered.
530d-Perfect at the top of the heap,all the creature comforts,highest spec engine (6 cyl. @ around 6 secs. to a 100),feature-rich, for the occasional owner/driver who still wants all the bells and whistles,but more often than not,is chauffeur driven.
525d- Loaded with features designed to cater the the chauffeur-driven,4 cyl. engine@around 7 secs. to a 100),a car for someone who wants a reasonably priced 5 for the status,size comfort,for the corporate head not really in a hurry.
330d-PERFORMANCE,PERFORMANCE,PERFORMANCE.Engine specced for power(around 6 secs. or below to a 100,M seats and trim offered,not overloaded on gadgets.Ideal dimensions for the enthusiast owner/driver.For the guy who lives to drive.
320d-Entry level 3 series,4 cyl. @ around 7.5 secs. to a 100,a more affordable 3,but decently loaded with gadgets,enough to satisfy the buyer who may otherwise choose a rival brand.For the upwardly mobile owner/driver whose rush will come from the brand and all it stands for,with outright performance not a paramount concern.
Come June,we will know if BMW is listening to at least one already satisfied customer!

Last edited by 911987 : 15th January 2012 at 09:32. Reason: incomplete sentence
911987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 21:20   #19
Senior - BHPian

.anshuman,

Yes and while it maybe hard in terms of marketing to convince people that downsize is for better, the car sure deserves a test drive to make one smile wide,

Also X1 as of now across the world is not offered with the 8 speed in diesel and also the tune for the 20d is @ 177 globally so I don't think until the facelift we will see any changes technically, just like the 7 being a flagship still only is available with the 6 speed in lower models until the facelift later this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman
^^ So Finally 525d will have a boosted twin-turbo version of the 20d 4 cylinder engine from 520d, instead of the current detuned version of 30d 6 cylinder engine from 530d.
N:Core,

Test drive both, but the 530d has some amazing features no rivals offer in India, HUD, Navigation to name a few. And about the kit levels all models this year get the same kit levels in fact this year a new model too has been added.

C gets the 7G in few months will be a silent launch only, but won't happen before mid 2012 as a lot of old kits still exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n:CorE

@S350-E240L
Superb insider information bro. Any additions on the kit levels in the 525d?
Moving to the Mercedes aspect, C250 CDI still to be sold with 5-speed or will they finally be getting in the 7G-Tronic on it?

Always a delight to read your posts and pass them on, but like I said initially a diesel higher then 20d is not possible as its not available anywhere in the world and model expansions globally will only happen in Q3 with the launch of touring and later the coupe and convertibles, but they will expand in India too later, in fact with growing volumes and the advantage of the F30 living its entire life cycle in India many variants in similar engines will be done, you won't have to wait till June the launch will be much before, but for a diesel motor above 20d do keep your patience horses a little longer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911987
@S350L-E240
Thanks for putting it all together on this new thread,anyone with queries on the BMW range now knows exactly where to look.
Pity if the 330d and/or 325d are not launched simultaneously with the new 320d.

Come June,we will know if BMW is listening to at least one already satisfied customer!
S350L-E240 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 22:15   #20
BHPian

Thank you for your constant updates, any word on the 35d engine ?
fre2bpowerless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2012, 23:55   #21
BHPian

Thumbs up re: BMW/ Mercedes India 2012 model updates,

Thanks a lot, cool info.
Somehow everytime I see a BMW India thread, the first thing I hope to see and always find myself disappointing is introduction of manual transmissions in India. The last time Hormazd of ACI interviewed BMW India Boss, he said manual transmissions might find place in <20L BMW cars in India.
Just wish they put it in 3-series.
If you hear anything on this, please add
RakishRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 11:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

With all due respect to Hormzad, he being a mass market journalist, would have little info from the companies as the information he prints would have adverse effect on sales of current models,

And coming to manual transmission, due to absolutely nil demand, and the fact that Mercedes too in 2010 withdrew from the manual transmissions, do not expect them anytime soon unless suddenly a large chunk of clients stop buying cars from BMW because they did not have manuals,

Also with new CKD rules on engines and transmissions it makes it very expensive to have a few manual kits, even the 1 is not planned in manual,

Mini being a cbu too does not get a manual, as it would also require service centres to invest more in an already high investment,

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RakishRam View Post
Thanks a lot, cool info.
Somehow everytime I see a BMW India thread, the first thing I hope to see and always find myself disappointing is introduction of manual transmissions in India. The last time Hormazd of ACI interviewed BMW India Boss, he said manual transmissions might find place in <20L BMW cars in India.
If you hear anything on this, please add
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 17:13   #23
BHPian

@S350L-E240,
Thanks for the kind words and the assurance that my ramblings are being read by the people who matter.
To quote you from page 1 of this thread
"525d is a 2 liter 1995cc 4 cylinder unit producing 218 bhp and 450nm of torque, and gets to 100 in 7 seconds, While the displacement is lower its as powerful and in some areas even better but the best is the fuel efficiency is up by 21%"
With reference to the above,when you say the range-topping diesel for the 3 will be a 2.0d could the above engine,in that state of tune,be the one you are referring to or a watered down version of it ?
If the engine is specced as above,with a curb weight lower by around 250 kilos than the 5,the new 3 with a considerably better power-to-weight ratio would be no slouch!
If you can confirm the above,would really help me rein in my horses till the extra horses are on offer!
@RakishRam,
With ref to your post
"Thanks a lot, cool info.
If you hear anything on this, please add."
With Anna advised against fasting as of now and corruption still rampant,for another
just -as-worthy cause,let's you and me camp outside the BMW India facility with some demands,
1)Give us Manual transmissions.
2)Launch 1M coupe and/or beef up new 3 series,not necessarily in that order of preference.
We shall consume nothing but Mobil and ethanol.
Refreshments will not be served.
Will be a non-violent protest,all those who get carried away will be carried away.
Will not be a silent protest,we have strong naturally aspirated lungs,with boost on demand.
Will end only when our demands are met,or we are very hungry,whichever is earlier.
All similarly affected bhpians are cordially invited to join us.
If nothing else is achieved,we might at least get a factory tour!
Luck to all and Godspeed!
Old 16th January 2012, 17:17   #24
Team-BHP Support

911987 -

As of now the 2.0 being lauched in the f30 320d will be the same 185bhp one. Nowhere in the world have they released plans of any other diesel engines yet. I'm sure the 2.0 with twin turbos and 218bhp will be released too, but later and not at launch. That will probably be the 325d and the 0-100 of that would be a slight bit above 6.5 seconds.

Also did you TD the 320d with the power kit in Mumbai?
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 17:43   #25
BHPian

@Akshay1234,
Dealing with your post backwards,will be in Mumbai Thursday on,fully intend to check out the modded 3,but honestly am not inclined to put money down on a outgoing model with the prospect of a better 3 in the near future.
Sure the current cars will go at attractive prices as the new launch approaches,but the last time around,I bought the outgoing 3 (late 2007) and regretted not waiting for the facelift which decision deprived me of xenon headlights and several other,to me,less important added features.
Think I will hang on till the 2012 launch,even at that point,if I feel the saving on the older model outweighs the frills on the new car,am sure will find unsold stock at heavy discounts( am told around 2000 current 3 kits are currently awaiting new owners).
All said and done,between S350L-E240 and yourself indulging my interest in the new 3 the hunt is on and since half the fun is in the anticipation,added to the fact that every time I drive my 3,I wonder why I need any other car,am not complaining too much at having to wait a bit for my next BMW.
My son says I am very boring to be going from 3 to new 3, but show me another car that is it's equal and that's a challenge!
Cheers!
Old 16th January 2012, 17:50   #26
Team-BHP Support

It probably won't be as involving to drive, going by the trend of recent Bimmers. Though it will be a good car no doubt. Frankly it won't really add any great features but the 8 speed gearbox and the HUD (if brought here) will be brilliant.

That said the kits which they will have in stock will be the lower models of the E90. Do check if they have any highline (exclusive) in stock.

BMWs demo car with the kit is not the top of the line, and if possible do also check out the top of the line (exclusive) just so that you can get an idea of the interiors etc.

btw - how is the 911?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2012, 20:37   #27
BHPian

@akshay1234,
If the new 3 is not better and does not offer more power than my old car,will just continue with the old one till such time as something better is on offer.
As for the kits mostly being the economy version,surely a few of the 2000 reportedly in stock will be the highline version.Will trust my luck on that and deal with it,if and when the time comes.
The 911 was always the car of my dreams,but the one we have been blessed with is my son's car,bought for him when he achieved a special milestone in his life.I do drive it occasionally and it is an unbelievably docile and traffic friendly car,with probably the most speedbreaker-friendly underside of any recent sports car,that is not to say it bottoms often,quite the contrary!
It is a manual,not an auto and takes me back to my teens when I yearned for the stainless steel shift gate of a classic Ferrari,but drove a column-mounted shift Fiat.
Put your foot down and the music it makes,all too rarely thanks to our brilliant Bangalore traffic,is to die for.Please forgive the digression mods,over to BMW.
Again,Akshay,if the new 3 disappoints on performance can always hang around till someone gets tired of his A4 3.2tdi,pick it up cheap and switch loyalties in the process!
(Let's see if that winds someone up enough to see that a reeeeaallly quick 3 makes it to market!)
Old 17th January 2012, 13:23   #28
BHPian

No more beamers for me now till they change their policy on compulsory runflat tyres. I got stranded in Mahableshwar on New years eve as one of the runflats on my X5 went completely flat without any advance warning. Luckily the car was parked at home when it happened. I had to call another car from Mumbai with a good condition spare that I had retained when I replaced my tyres. Spent an entire day on my holiday just co-ordinating this mess. Just not worth the hassle.

Indian roads are just not fit for run flat tyres. If run flats are an option in Europe, I dont see why BMW India is hell bent on forcing them on Indian customers. Have heard loads of complaints from other BMW owners as well.
manishk123 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 00:35   #29
BHPian

was thinking of upgrading to A6 or Q5 with the smaller engine later this year. if the new 3 is launched with bigger engines, will surely go for that! 330d will be super amazing to drive! 300+ bhp with racechip. just what the doctor ordered!
BikerSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2012, 09:58   #30
BHPian

What is dynamic experience control?

Frankly the drive dynamic control doesn't do jack for the body roll in my 530d. My passengers are still flying about the cabin when I'm in a playful mood . Also the boost from 540nm to 560nm, though welcome, doesn't do much IMO to enhance the driving experience.
Zkalra is offline   Reply With Quote