Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:26   #91
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Technocrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mid West
Posts: 14,898
Thanked: 2,489 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

It would be interesting to see how they market these. For eons Indians have associated Jeeps with Mahindra so it would be an interesting exercise for Fiat/Jeep
Technocrat is offline  
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:32   #92
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 33
Thanked: 7 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

I just hope they are priced realistically for us to enjoy it.
arepalli99 is offline  
Old 4th July 2013, 19:47   #93
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,051
Thanked: 15,549 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Jeep’s India-bound B-Segment SUV to measure 4.2m long.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/07/j...ment-suv-85383
volkman10 is offline  
Old 4th July 2013, 20:42   #94
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jeep’s India-bound B-Segment SUV to measure 4.2m long.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/07/j...ment-suv-85383
But you see a chevy SUV in the picture!
Guna is offline  
Old 5th July 2013, 01:14   #95
Senior - BHPian
 
AyAn!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Durgapur/Calcutta/Pune
Posts: 2,167
Thanked: 850 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

For those of you in the know would be aware that this particular vehicle was involved in an interesting bit of controversy recently. Swedish automotive magazine Teknikens Värld, murderers of the original Mercedes-Benz A Class, having infamously toppled it in an evasive handling maneuver back in 1997, much to the shame of the obnoxious Germans who scurried back to their drawing boards immediately, are at it again. That bit of fancy maneuver since then came to be known as the famous "moose test", the term being coined by the German daily Süddeutsche Zeitung. Funny as it may sound, the name speaks for itself. The test actually replicates your car's ability to avoid hitting a moose(?) if one suddenly decides to appear in front of you when you're cruising happily at about 40 miles an hour. Anyways, this time, the car in question is the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. In series of tests conducted by the magazine, the Jeep, loaded optimally to manufacturer specifications, almost toppled sideways with two wheels scarily off the ground. ESP manages to bring things back to sanity later.

They also tested the Volkswagen Touareg, Volvo XC90, and BMW X5 in similar scenarios, but none of those SUVs had any problems at 43.5 mph. As tested, the Grand Cherokee nearly tipped at 39.5 mph, which, if seeing is believing, is clearly dangerous!

In a nutshell, the car failed the "moose test" and Teknikens Värld went so far as to say that the vehicle was deemed as unfit for driving. It ended with the magazine and Chrysler pointing guns at each other, accusing each other of foul play. Chrysler responded to the incident and issued this bit of faff trying to heal the wound.(off Jalopnik):-

Advised of this event by the magazine, Chrysler Group engineers made numerous attempts to reproduce the wheel-lift in a properly loaded vehicle. Extensive testing produced no such result.

A subsequent evaluation was conducted by the magazine July 8 in Sweden and witnessed by Chrysler Group engineers. Three vehicles performed 11 runs on a course prepared by the magazine. None reproduced the original event.

The uncharacteristic result was obtained using a vehicle loaded beyond its weight specifications. The Grand Cherokee's weight limitations are clearly stated on the vehicle and in the owner's manual.

Also, the extreme maneuver performed by the magazine is not certified by any regulatory agency, nor is it used to establish any sanctioned safety ratings.

Chrysler Group takes seriously any safety concerns and engineers are examining the event to better understand the magazine's claims.

A "Top Safety Pick" of the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2012 Grand Cherokee is an award-winning SUV that features Electronic Stability Control and Electronic Roll Mitigation as standard equipment. It meets or exceeds all government safety mandates and its outstanding performance has made it the most awarded SUV in history.


Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee to India-original.jpg

To read the full story, head over to:-
http://jalopnik.com/5924482/jeep-gra...asive-maneuver

Meanwhile, this video provides a smoother narration of the whole story.


Last edited by AyAn! : 5th July 2013 at 01:16.
AyAn! is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2013, 03:44   #96
BHPian
 
echo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: goa
Posts: 325
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

I think a softer suspension causes it to "bounce around". Wonder how magic suspension Duster fared in the moose test... a bit better, but somewhat similar

echo77 is offline  
Old 5th July 2013, 12:57   #97
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,051
Thanked: 15,549 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

FIAT would launch the NEW B segment SUV in India.

This B-segment SUV would be the smallest of Jeep’s offerings, with reports calling it a Junior Cherokee.

Jeep is plotting a new compact SUV which would be launched in 2014. This B-segment SUV would be the smallest of Jeep’s offerings, with reports calling it a Junior Cherokee . The SUV will measure 4.2m in length.

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/07/j...iat-500x-85476
volkman10 is offline  
Old 5th July 2013, 13:22   #98
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,376
Thanked: 528 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
But you see a chevy SUV in the picture!
My bad! They werw comparing with who it will be competing with and hence he checy SUV in picture.
Guna is offline  
Old 7th July 2013, 12:15   #99
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 21
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Ok whatever Fiat plans to do now, its upto them but one thing I know for sure is that Fiat needs to move really fast. Aggressive Ad campaigns, frequent customer-connect initiatives and new launches. Fiat has only 2 models on offer for the past so many years. Service centre infrastructure will spring up by itself once the response to new launches builds up, they just need to operationalise new models ASAP.
Learn from the Duster story. I bet people did not think about service issues before booking the duster, such a strong product it came across to be.

Move FAST FIAT.
Fiatanic is offline  
Old 11th July 2013, 13:17   #100
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,051
Thanked: 15,549 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Coming to India in October.

Jeep’s trademark capability will come as standard on all the variants along with a raft of equipment that positions the Grand Cherokee firmly at the heart of the premium SUV market.

Name:  RegisteredJeeps01.jpg
Views: 2283
Size:  60.3 KB

http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...ober-10761.htm
volkman10 is offline  
Old 11th July 2013, 14:33   #101
BHPian
 
paliontile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 70
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
For those of you in the know would be aware that this particular vehicle was involved in an interesting bit of controversy recently. Swedish automotive magazine Teknikens Värld, murderers of the original Mercedes-Benz A Class, having infamously toppled it in an evasive handling maneuver back in 1997, much to the shame of the obnoxious Germans who scurried back to their drawing boards immediately, are at it again. That bit of fancy maneuver since then came to be known as the famous "moose test", the term being coined by the German daily Süddeutsche Zeitung. Funny as it may sound, the name speaks for itself. The test actually replicates your car's ability to avoid hitting a moose(?) if one suddenly decides to appear in front of you when you're cruising happily at about 40 miles an hour. Anyways, this time, the car in question is the 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee. In series of tests conducted by the magazine, the Jeep, loaded optimally to manufacturer specifications, almost toppled sideways with two wheels scarily off the ground. ESP manages to bring things back to sanity later.

They also tested the Volkswagen Touareg, Volvo XC90, and BMW X5 in similar scenarios, but none of those SUVs had any problems at 43.5 mph. As tested, the Grand Cherokee nearly tipped at 39.5 mph, which, if seeing is believing, is clearly dangerous!

In a nutshell, the car failed the "moose test" and Teknikens Värld went so far as to say that the vehicle was deemed as unfit for driving. It ended with the magazine and Chrysler pointing guns at each other, accusing each other of foul play. Chrysler responded to the incident and issued this bit of faff trying to heal the wound.(off Jalopnik):-

Advised of this event by the magazine, Chrysler Group engineers made numerous attempts to reproduce the wheel-lift in a properly loaded vehicle. Extensive testing produced no such result.

A subsequent evaluation was conducted by the magazine July 8 in Sweden and witnessed by Chrysler Group engineers. Three vehicles performed 11 runs on a course prepared by the magazine. None reproduced the original event.

The uncharacteristic result was obtained using a vehicle loaded beyond its weight specifications. The Grand Cherokee's weight limitations are clearly stated on the vehicle and in the owner's manual.

Also, the extreme maneuver performed by the magazine is not certified by any regulatory agency, nor is it used to establish any sanctioned safety ratings.

Chrysler Group takes seriously any safety concerns and engineers are examining the event to better understand the magazine's claims.

A "Top Safety Pick" of the U.S. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the 2012 Grand Cherokee is an award-winning SUV that features Electronic Stability Control and Electronic Roll Mitigation as standard equipment. It meets or exceeds all government safety mandates and its outstanding performance has made it the most awarded SUV in history.


Makes me wonder, in the test, why do they try to get back on to the original lane rather than just shift into an adjacent lane and continue forward for some time before swerving back? I know it wouldn't be possible if there is something else that's blocking the adjacent lane, but come on, what are the odds of it happening?
paliontile is offline  
Old 11th July 2013, 15:41   #102
Senior - BHPian
 
AyAn!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Durgapur/Calcutta/Pune
Posts: 2,167
Thanked: 850 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
[/left]

Makes me wonder, in the test, why do they try to get back on to the original lane rather than just shift into an adjacent lane and continue forward for some time before swerving back? I know it wouldn't be possible if there is something else that's blocking the adjacent lane, but come on, what are the odds of it happening?
Because if you do such things with a 2013 Grand Cherokee, you die.
AyAn! is online now  
Old 11th July 2013, 16:45   #103
BHPian
 
paliontile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 70
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Because if you do such things with a 2013 Grand Cherokee, you die.
You mean to say the Moose test was designed like that to show that Grand Cherokee can kill you in such maneuvers? :P

Rephrasing my question, in a normal use-case, a driver would at best do one sudden swerve to either the left or the right lane. The next swerve to come back to the original lane wouldn't be as sudden as shown in the videos, right?

Last edited by paliontile : 11th July 2013 at 16:46. Reason: missing words messing grammar :P
paliontile is offline  
Old 15th July 2013, 11:37   #104
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,051
Thanked: 15,549 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

The 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee continues testing in India.

Expected launch is October/Festive season.
Quote:
The Jeeps would not be sold through the Fiat dealer network. Jeep is aiming for dealerships in the 10 biggest Indian cities in the first phase of its retail strategy. Independent Fiat dealers would be approached to invest on Jeep dealerships for their cities.
The Grand Cherokee is expected to carry a price tag in the vicinity of about INR 45 -50 lakhs
http://indianautosblog.com/2013/07/2...-testing-87334

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th July 2013 at 11:39.
volkman10 is offline  
Old 15th July 2013, 11:52   #105
Senior - BHPian
 
AyAn!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Durgapur/Calcutta/Pune
Posts: 2,167
Thanked: 850 Times
Default Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by paliontile View Post
You mean to say the Moose test was designed like that to show that Grand Cherokee can kill you in such maneuvers? :P
Exactly.

Quote:
Rephrasing my question, in a normal use-case, a driver would at best do one sudden swerve to either the left or the right lane. The next swerve to come back to the original lane wouldn't be as sudden as shown in the videos, right?
The next swerve is a massive dose of opposite lock to prevent the car from turning turtle. I think it's a natural reaction by the driver.
AyAn! is online now  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 Jeep Cherokee Unveiled (Jeep Liberty replacement) chevelle The International Automotive Scene 30 24th February 2014 20:10
Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo X raveen_2023 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 26 12th August 2013 03:01
Jeep Grand Cherokee Import OpticalRace SUVs, MUVs & 4x4s 1 25th October 2010 11:46
Pics : Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited v12 Super-Cars & Imports in India 12 18th April 2010 02:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:57.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks