Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
Old 14th February 2012, 22:48   #1
Default Honda City door lock from inside

Subsequent to the Vento catching fire in Pune, I was wondering about ANHC door lock. ANHC's doors do not lock automatically. They have a knob/switch on the driver door which when toggled locks all the door. I sat in the car, put the key in steering column but did not turn it and then locked the door. (All the windows were closed ). I asked someone standing outside to try opening the door but the door did not open.

Today I had given my car for servicing and asked the service engineer about this. According to him it is not expected that the door will open. He told me in case of accident , the only option if the door is locked is to break the window.

So a question to all t-bhpians, is the door lock superfluous or is my understanding incorrect
Old 14th February 2012, 22:52   #2
Default Re: Honda City door lock from inside

If you lock the door from inside, how someone can open from outside ?

You get inside the car and lock the doors, no matter where the key is, it can not be opened from outside.
Old 14th February 2012, 22:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

If you lock the door from inside then how can one open the car from outside?

And this system is applicable to all cars sold in the world.

Honda City has manual central locking and not the automatic.
Old 14th February 2012, 23:54   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Yup its kind of funny. Isn't that the NORMAL way a door lock is supposed to work? If you have locked it from inside how can anyone open the door from outside. It would just beat the purpose of the lock itself right.

For emergency situations some cars do boast of sensors that enable the doors to unlock on sensing impact. But for it to get a standard gadget in a land where most states still don't have seat belts compulsory rule is hoping for a little too much.
Old 15th February 2012, 00:06   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

When no one can open the doors from outside, isn't that when the car is considered SAFE? I understand the context in which you say this. But that's the way it is supposed to work. In many cars, during collisions there are provisions for the doors to unlock! In case of a fire, this may not activate, but you will have to manually unlock the car from inside or some one need to break the windows open. Please don't get paranoid because 2 Ventos have caught fire, but if you want to take a preventive step, you could carry a small hammer with you, inside the car.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 15th February 2012 at 00:07.
Old 15th February 2012, 02:20   #6
Team-BHP Support

Note From Support Team - The query has been answered sufficiently.

Thread Closed
Closed Thread