Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 24th February 2012, 13:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The BMW X1 at Rs.15,999 EMI (limited time offer)

Now BMW are available on lease. More on:
BMW launches new ‘BMW Lease’ scheme - News - Autocar India
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2012, 00:20   #62
BHPian

I love cars, but love freedom better. BMW was my ideal handling car, but this thread has wised me up. Great job by team-bhp. Let me go back and love my (ordinary) car once again.

Some distinguished members here had joked about wanting to actually see me overtaking a BMW, but with about 5 down the belt, including ones driven by hot headed guys, forget the many mercs, some times it is sad to see the great badges in the distance, in the mirror. Cheers to my stock i20 crdi, un-modded as you are, for now.
Johnn is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 11:37   #63
BHPian

just a piece of my advise. why not live life EMI free? buy a good used car cash down? why bother to go to bank and ask for a loan at all? 30 days come so fast that all the time you will be left wondering on how to arrnage next emi? loans are costly. comes with lot of credit check and huge paper work. i have been careful of not borrowing. recently bought a mint condition 300D for 3 lakh cash. bought a wrecked innova for 2 lakh, did some tlc and repair. spent 1.5 lakh and 2 months in garage. its back to mint condition. total spent around 4 lakh. runns great. on road price of new car is 14 lakh. these are just examples on how we can buy a luxury car and still pay no EMI at all.
off course it comes with lot of compromises, but then at the end of the day, peace of mind matters.
nutmello is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 12:00   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
just a piece of my advise. why not live life EMI free? buy a good use 30 days come so fast that all the time you will be left wondering on how to arrnage next emi?
Mostly the salaried people go for EMI, where they get assured/fixed salary at the end of every month and they don't need to worry about where the EMI comes from!
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2012, 14:49   #65
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutmello View Post
just a piece of my advise. why not live life EMI free? buy a good used car cash down? why bother to go to bank and ask for a loan at all?
off course it comes with lot of compromises, but then at the end of the day, peace of mind matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Mostly the salaried people go for EMI, where they get assured/fixed salary at the end of every month and they don't need to worry about where the EMI comes from!
I can related to both these points of view. Perhaps my post is OT with regards to the BMW offer but is in response to the EMI debate.

There is a middle path which was the route I took with my first car. I had the option of going in for a Rs 4 lakh hatchback having saved up about a lakh for the initial payment. At the time a number of pre-owned outlets were mushrooming and out of curiosity I decided to drop in to the nearest.

I was pretty impressed with the quality of some of the pre-owned cars that were up for grabs. The impression I got was that prices were about 10-15% north of the average second-hand market prices but I was sure of wanting to stay away from dodgy 'dealers'. Nor did I want to go through the hassle of negotiating with car owners that advertised in the classifieds.

So I set some new ground rules
(1) I would set my spend < 50% of my new car budget
(2) Id consider brands\models that I would not have had I been buying a new car.

The choice went down to an opel corsa hatch (I cant seem to recall the model name - was it 'sail' ?) and a palio 1.2 both below 2 Lakh INR. Decided in favour of the palio which had clocked 25K kms after four years of city use & negotiated the price at Rs 1.8 lakhs. One of the doors had been tinkered on account of a minor crash & the seat covers were ghastly (but thankfully they were the 'zip-on' type). Mechanically the car was sound with electricals like power windows & rear wipers in good nick.

My EMI burden was low and even the lower fuel economy of the palio (I got about 9 kmpl) was off-set by the low initial purchase price. I used the car for three years and the maintenance expense incurred was on account of a new battery, a failed condenser fan & a faulty component in the alternator.

The driving experience was, IMHO, far superior than what a maruti or hyundai would have offered for the price range of new cars that I was targeting.
Zed is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 19:04   #66
Senior - BHPian

The way I see it 16K/ month & 120K/ year adds up to 26K/month. (thats the scheme right!) Add to that Fuel cost, maintenance & insurance. It could be somewhere around 35K. Leave aside the initial down-payments (if any)
Now even if you have a take home salary of 1L, paying 35% is a real big deal. That too for 7 years. 16K/ months looks doable but the reality is very twisted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
Decided in favour of the palio which had clocked 25K kms after four years of city use & negotiated the price at Rs 1.8 lakhs.
My EMI burden was low and even the lower fuel economy of the palio (I got about 9 kmpl) was off-set by the low initial purchase price.
I wonder why do you need an EMI for just 1.8L. It is better to save for a few months and play it upfront.
I too bought a Palio 1.2 (used) at 1L. Yes I saved some money in the purchase which is now giving good returns. (High interest rates - Greater investment opportunity in FD). Although the FE is pathetic 9.5-10Kmpl, the absence of EMI more than makes up for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zed View Post
I used the car for three years and the maintenance expense incurred was on account of a new battery, a failed condenser fan & a faulty component in the alternator.
That's not much to be honest in 4 years.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 19:22   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu
Now they are offering 5 Series (520d) with EMI of 29,999 per month
And today's The Hindu has an advt for Land Rover Discovery 4, with an EMI of just 97,295
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2012, 20:45   #68
Zed
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post

I wonder why do you need an EMI for just 1.8L. It is better to save for a few months and play it upfront
This is not relevant to the discussion on hand but just to answer your query, I had an interest free loan from the organization I worked with.
Besides in 2005, Rs 1.8 lakhs seemed a lot more than it does today.

Last edited by Zed : 27th February 2012 at 20:47.
Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 14:49   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Top Tip: If one believes that they can truly afford a BMW, their bank-balance must be twice the price of the actual car, i.e. one must have an additional 30 lakhs to blow (like a little self-security deposit, or something), over and above the 30 lakhs that they intend to spend on the car, if they want to enjoy hassle-free motoring.
Not entirely true. Had the case been to have the value of car as bank balance before buying it, then half the world wouldn't have been buying vehicles.

From my experience after having bought and sold 3 cars and all on EMI (santro, scorpio, elantra) i am quite sure that one should only buy vehicles on EMI as that also helps you to keep a tab on your thought process of buying a new car. The emi only pinches your pocket or monthly expenses for 2 years after which due to inflation and increase in purchasing power you tend to forget about the EMI itself, of course one needs to have a stable job or at least stable income to be in this position. Well, if one don't have this choice then wouldn't be thinking of buying a car, right.

Planning the finances properly can bring you into the horizon of buying a new car without much hassle. But if you imagine that you will save the money and then buy the car, well at the end of your saving period you will find the new car is out of your price bracket. Not a bad idea to save and buy, but when you can go the other way round, i prefer that one. Also you dont need to have heavy bank balances, just that every month you should have an additional 30% of your EMI amount earmarked for your expenses on vehicle, so while planning the finances you need to factor in this amount also for monthly expenses. It is all about planning.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 21:30   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
Not entirely true...

...It is all about planning.
Sir, I'm afraid you've mistaken me. I believe I was referring to German cars that demand more from its owner. Running costs, spare parts and regular servicing-costs of European cars can be much higher than cars made by the Japs, Koreans, etc. For more on this, please have a look at this:

Quote:
I appreciate your opinion and your views and there is logic in it.

What I'm trying to say is that we must be rational when it comes to investing pot-loads of cash on a depreciating asset, such as a BMW 320d. Maintaining a German car is very different from maintaining a Jap, Korean or an Indian car. Running costs will shoot up and spare-parts are frankly exorbitant.

For instance, an outside-rear-view-mirror for a Hyundai costs under 10k, even when equipped with features such as turn-indicators, auto-fold and auto-adjust. But in a Mercedes, it is 3 times more.

If one buys a BMW with all his hard-earned money and has little left, he is certainly going to feel the pinch when a two-wheeler smashes his ORVM. But if the same person has a big amount saved up and dedicated for his ride, the pinch would be felt, albeit, a lot less.

There might be maintenance-schemes by BMW, that would bolster and cushion the expenses for existing customers. But how much is it going to 'shield' you at the end of the day? They are, after all, expensive cars. And sooner or later, you will have to spend a lot of money on them.

One must remember that 30 lakhs is 30 lakhs. And spending that much money on an asset that's potentially going to milk your wallet will warrant the need for a bigger bank balance.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 29th February 2012 at 21:34.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 00:51   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Sir, I'm afraid you've mistaken me. I believe I was referring to German cars that demand more from its owner. Running costs, spare parts and regular servicing-costs of European cars can be much higher than cars made by the Japs, Koreans, etc. For more on this, please have a look at this:
suhaas307 you have a point there, i agree to it. That is where i covered up asking to apportion at least 30% of your EMI towards these costs (this do not cover the monthly fuel expenditure), that will build up a corpus over a period of 6 months and it can continue like that. Since the first couple of years there wouldn't be much maintenance as far as engine running and wear and tear is concerned, this corpus can cover all those incidental charges as well as the 10k km servicing costs (BMW charges 25k for diesel machine servicing). Planning the finances including this expenditure in the EMI is the base where one should start while making the purchase decision and then one can live the dream of driving a BMW.
rajeshchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 15:40   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
always consider whether you are at the point of your life where you can buy, own & drive a 28 lakh rupee car.
Very Very Aptly put. This scheme is great, it certainly looks mouth watering but only to someone who has the cash flow that will ensure you have the pleasure of owning such a brilliant machine rather than pain.

Someone outside this forum had put it aptly, if you make yourself a good cash flow and you are financially secure then when you have the money to buy your dream car, it would not matter wheather it is 28L or 1Cr.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 14:36   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

More neat deals from BMW which I think are practical that what I have seen. Hope this helps. Have few more pdf; will post of anyone wants.
Attached Images

jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 17:09   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
More neat deals from BMW which I think are practical that what I have seen. Hope this helps. Have few more pdf; will post of anyone wants.
Yes please if you could post the other PDF's so I can get a fair idea. I was just reading if it can be 24-25 on road Delhi for an X1, then I guess it can be a good alternative to Fortuner. I know there is nothing remotely similar amongst the two , but our main aim is to have a car for you know taking to weddings or functions, so yeah shamelessly I will say we need a show off car. I was under the impression BMW would touch 30 on road, so had never thought on those lines.
Thanks
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 22:59   #75
BHPian

A discount of 5,58,000 on BMW X1 20d , I just can not believe it .As stated above 320d an an outgouing model is being offered at 6,00,000 discount in comparison. I could not understand the logic . Hard to believe for an X1 owner who got 0 discount less than an year back.
.Albatross. is offline   Reply With Quote