Fiat Petra 47 36.72%
Fiesta 16 12.50%
Indigo 19 14.84%
NHC 13 10.16%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2nd April 2006, 19:36   #31
BHPian

The Italians make the safest cars...they make sure you get both the speed thrill and thesafety.
Indigo comes close to the Petra...but still has enough ground to make up.
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:10   #32
mxx
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech
Hi All, I saw the new cheeky red bright and colourful vibrant Aveo 1.6 and I must say this car looks very good from outside as well as inside. I did not get a chance to test drive it however I came upon this web site where the Aveo was given a thumb down by the Euro NCAP on 3rd March 2006. This review says that - "the Chevy Aveo was singled out for unacceptably high risk of injury to the driver’s chest". I would not risk buying a car which does not provides proper safety, though the higher end model does have ABS and Airbags etc. So why has this review mentioned so?

http://paultan.org/archives/2006/03/...rom-euro-ncap/

Even Skoda Octavia bear huge damages in collisions - http://www.vv.se/filer/11632/skoda_o...tor_011126.jpg

My current shortlisted cars are Aveo / Ford Fiesta / Honda City ZX / Maruti Swift (for long run).

Any suggestions as I want to put hard earned money to proper use? I did single out Aveo but this European review on the web site has made me think again.
Thats y its called crumble zone, it is supposed to get damaged to reduce the force of impact, so that the passengers are not hurt.
Skoda is safe by all standards, with 4 star safety rating for occupants.
http://www.euroncap.com/content/safe...?id1=3&id2=102
Old 9th April 2006, 17:03   #33
BHPian

No activity since almost a week. So we can assume most of the interested people have participated. "Fiat Petra" won by a huge vote of 41%.

This really shows when it comes to safety people dont go by their hearts, but by their mind. Otherwise would have seen another close contest between Fiestas, Balenos and Aveos

Hope that TATAs provide good support to the FIAT cars and we indians will have a safe car as an option in the 7-8 lakh range.

BHPian, its good to see unbiased voting.
Old 7th April 2008, 19:09   #34
BHPian

I want to ask some question regarding Car safety here ( I hope its noy OT here)

Day before yestrday Two young Doctors ( brothers) from DMC Ludhiana met an terible accident in late hours of night, and sadly both Died It was shocking for all of us .One of the brother was my Senior at Medical college

They were travelling in night from Ludhiana to Ferozpur in thier Honda City and they had an Head on Crash with A loaded ( with stones) Truck coming from opposite side .

After the Crash both vehicles fell into shallow pit beside road . Apparently Truck Driver escaped un hurt and fled from the scene . and to the worst part is that nody came to help and bodies of both Docs lied there whole night to be discovered nect morning .
As there was no Eyewitness except Truck Driver ( who fles) it is being said that one of th etyre of car burst and led to the accident .

My question

Is the tube less tyre not standard with Honda city ( NHC) ? and Does the tube less tyre make a difference in such situation?

Is there any better car in this segment ( less than 10 lakh) which could have survived such horrible crash ( I am asking this because the Crash was so horrible that both bodies litererally crushed with amost seperated body parts of both the brothers )

It has been really difficult time for the family as they were the only Sons they has and both were unmarried. I finding really difficult to reconcile myself and these question came up in my mind and I though I will learn about car safety from Others here

Thanks

Jatinder SIngh
Old 8th April 2008, 07:05   #35
Senior - BHPian

Default Tough Choice

Well of all the cars mentioned, Accent Baleno got 2/5 in Euro NCAP ( Baleno was without airbags, Accent was with airbags. If Baleno had airbags, it would have scored 3/5). Aveo has 2/5 with airbags.
Corsa has 3/5.
Petra, NHC, Indigo, Fiesta have never dared enter the Euro NCAP tests.
NHC is based on Jazz which has scored 4/5, but every thing changes as we add a boot and it must be tested again.
SX4 what we have in india was tested again with boot for verification and it passed.

So out of this four, its Corsa.
With out any doubt.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 8th April 2008 at 07:08. Reason: Missed Aveo
Old 8th April 2008, 14:02   #36
Senior - BHPian

dont know about accidents with petra, but i have seen lots of indigos crashed very seriously but still all the occupants very safe inside. i remember my friends indigo which had turned turtle at a speed of 80KMPH when he slept while driving and ran over a divider bollywood style, it rolled 6-8 times before stopping. he was wearing a seat belt and just some broken pieces of glasses had hit his face. he was left unhurt. the car had to be scrapped.

the sheet metal folds to a very high extent and bears all the impact in the indigos. also the metal is heavy. my vote goes for the indigo.
Old 8th April 2008, 14:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

I always go by the NCAP ratings. A certain car may feel solidly built but that is no guarantee of its crash worthiness. High time they introduced standard crash tests in India.
Old 8th April 2008, 14:41   #38
BHPian

wow there are so many others who think like I do- Fiat Petra among this bunch is my choice.
Old 9th April 2008, 06:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Default Indigo not the best.

We have lost some of our close relatives when they crashed in Indigo that just came out of second service a day before. There were five adults and belted. The entire steering column came lose and they lost control at around 80kmph.
Four of them died.

About the aveo, it was clear that the car is not safe. If you look at the video of crasing provided by euro NCAP, then you will yourself observe this phenomenon.
Aveo is not a safe car. Baleno is upto some extent. Accent is also not that safe.
Petra never ventured into Euro NCAP, but its corsa with 3/5 that is really safe in all the above mentioned cars.
Indigo is not safe as our experience tells us. And this is very, very costly experience.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 9th April 2008 at 06:21. Reason: Typing errors.
Old 9th April 2008, 09:08   #40
BHPian

While Driving I Have Found The Corsa To Be The Most Roadworthy Car in India In That Segment,Maybe Followed By The Petra,but The Fiesta is a No No.......
Old 9th April 2008, 10:33   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
We have lost some of our close relatives when they crashed in Indigo that just came out of second service a day before. There were five adults and belted. The entire steering column came lose and they lost control at around 80kmph.
Four of them died.

About the aveo, it was clear that the car is not safe. If you look at the video of crasing provided by euro NCAP, then you will yourself observe this phenomenon.
Aveo is not a safe car. Baleno is upto some extent. Accent is also not that safe.
Petra never ventured into Euro NCAP, but its corsa with 3/5 that is really safe in all the above mentioned cars.
Indigo is not safe as our experience tells us. And this is very, very costly experience.
indeed a very bad mishap. this shouldnt have happened. very unfortunate. might be a very major accident. i have seen indigos at very bad state in the body workshop. when i inquired about the accidents the workshop people said the occupants were just slightly injured. they also said indigo is very difficult to crush. also reworking indigo body is a pain as the sheetmetal is very heavy.
ur incident reminds me of diana's death in a mercedes.
Old 9th April 2008, 11:10   #42
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

It should be Fiesta, for me. Reasons :

1. Its modern and the latest in this list, so hope it has latest safety features (in terms of architecture of the car not just ABS/EBD/Air Bags or TC)
2. Continental cars are usually good at safety/stability even at more than average speeds, may be because they are designed from the scratch for cross country drives and highway travel? (driven Mondeos, surely better road grip, handles those unvisible bumps cleanly and feels sturdy still than Japs)
3. Designed and manufactured by companies from countries where the Safety/Crash tests are more rigid than others.
Old 9th April 2008, 15:24   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The poll is two years old and hence, outdated.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread