Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 26th March 2006, 23:31   #1
Senior - BHPian
Default The next generation of Indian cars: What do you expect?

Most of the current generation Indian cars are now due for a replacement, maybe in a year or two. What do you think will be the outcome of the second generation of truly Indian cars?
Tata is already working on the next generation Indica, and I hope they wipe out the gremlins found in the current generation. The new platform should be really versatile, like the one on say, the Golf. Also I hope the next generation Indigo does not resemble so much like others in its family. The cab-forward design might also go. I expect them to be powered by entirely new petrol and diesel engines. There could be also an all new sedan, positioned above the Indigo, but based on the same extended platform.
Tata's new UV platform will spawn a whole range of vehicles, I think. The Safari could get more grunt and a more contemporary engine. It should remain dimensionally similar to the current one as we dont really need anything bigger here. Hope they also sort out the build quailty/component issues by then. Also expecting a vastly improved Sumo, which retains its virtues of a low price, space and affordable maintenance. The next 207/Telcoline (it may not be called that) might share lot of its underpinnings/powertrains/interior bits with the Sumo. Since it is primarily meant for the export market, expect the quality to go up considerably.
And finally, the next Scorpio should get a longer wheelbase, and more interior space. We may even have a SWB 2 door version, aimed at the lifestyle market. Expect bigger and better engines from them too..
sajo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2006, 23:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

I expect improvement in not only the quality of the next generation of cars (better panel fit etc) but also an improvement in after sales service from the manufacturer and the dealers.

Out of these two areas I can see manufacturers like Tata and Mahindra going in the right direction when it comes to quality but I expect the after sales service from dealers will just remain the same or get worse. Dealers should be taught that the customer is always right.

Last edited by bigman : 26th March 2006 at 23:47.
bigman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 00:18   #3
Senior - BHPian

tata xover and Silhouette are but just a glimpse of the future to come.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 15:39   #4

I'd think the power will go up a fair bit, perhaps even a mainstream switch to DOHC.
Exo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2006, 16:06   #5

I expect the Indians roads/traffic regulation to be better! Then all cars will perform wonderfully!
Unless that is done, even Rolls Royce will perform like Ambassador

Otherwise, Indian cars are quite upto international standards now (not always though).

Last edited by sbasak : 27th March 2006 at 16:09.
sbasak is offline   Reply With Quote