Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 18th February 2013, 15:21   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: 3 Cylinder Nano on the cards

The 2013 model of Nano will be launched in the first half of this year, according to this report on BSM.

Quote:
"The Nano sales have gone down and we are working to get it back. It still has a long way to go but we will be introducing the 2013 model of the car in the first half of this year as part of the plan," Tata Motors Managing Director Karl Slym told PTI. The new Nano will have a lot more additional features, which would enhance the positioning of the car as an aspirational vehicle, he added. "Moreover, we will very soon introduce the CNG option of the Nano," he added.
http://bsmotoring.com/news/refreshed...-motors/6428/1
safari_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 15:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Nano has not been able to hit the spot due to various reasons discussed above. My reasons may slightly differ.

If the alto gives approx the same mileage, why would i buy a smaller, slower car for almost the same price. (the extra 20k or so will not turn buyers towards the Nano for sure)

Tata should enhance features now considered as standard. Power steering will go a long way in building up sales. No one wants a non power steeriong can, not even the taxi driver.

Tata should aim at positioning the Nano at the Taxi Market.

I will say do not write it off. Tata should be working hard at developing a diesle engined Nano soon and if it comes with all the goodies at a goody goody price its a cake walk for Tata in this class. If it can add a CVT auto box, thats the icing onthe cake and i see many women wanting it already (trying to sell a Nano at anything above 2.5-2.75 will be disaster)

So first equip your existing car with a power steering and maybe an auto box, plonk in a diesel engine with a Turbo charger, give it decent bite and u have a winner.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 16:24   #63
BHPian

800cc, 3-cylinder, direct injection common rail, turbodiesel nano development well underway. according to someone in the know, NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) issues are being refined further and final fuel consumption calibrations are being tweaked. around diwali 2014 it should be launched.
arjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 16:25   #64
BHPian

Does anyone have any information on if and/or when TATA Motors will launch an Automatic version of the TATA Nano? From what I heard this version should have been out in 2012 itself.
amrisharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 18:04   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
800cc, 3-cylinder, direct injection common rail, turbodiesel nano development well underway. according to someone in the know, NVH (noise, vibration and harshness) issues are being refined further and final fuel consumption calibrations are being tweaked. around diwali 2014 it should be launched.
Did you mean to say Diwali 2013?
directinjection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2013, 18:13   #66
Senior - BHPian

Even the article quotes Karl Slym as saying that the diesel Nano is ready, but the launch date is not decided yet.

Quote:
When asked about the diesel variant of the entry level car, Slym said: "In future, we will definitely introduce that but we have not fixed a date as yet. The vehicle is there though."
Old 19th February 2013, 01:04   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Did you mean to say Diwali 2013?
No. 2014.
TML is trying to bring the launch forward but the earliest it can happen, and that's a very optimistic view, is possibly the 2nd quarter mid of 2014. Delay due to ironing out all glitches detected during testing and validation runs. this time Tata M wants to be right first time - no more "testing on the customers"
arjab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2013, 09:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
No. 2014.
TML is trying to bring the launch forward but the earliest it can happen, and that's a very optimistic view, is possibly the 2nd quarter mid of 2014. Delay due to ironing out all glitches detected during testing and validation runs. this time Tata M wants to be right first time - no more "testing on the customers"
While the intention is good, the time required to achieve it looks too long. Can they sustain on the paltry sales of the petrol Nanos till then?

BTW, any info on the rumoured 3 cylinder petrol Nano's launch timeline?
Old 24th February 2013, 15:31   #69
BHPian

To my surprise I spotted Tata Nano test car which was heavily camouflaged. It was few seconds in which instead of observing things I took some photos of it through my age old nokia phone.

Quick observations

1) Exhaust was not in the middle of bumper. It was near left wheel. It is near that dangling rear left damper.
2) Hatch bottom line is more curved and quite different than current version.
3) It pulled very instantly than other traffic when signal went green. No smoke observed while accelerating so can not conclude whether it was diesel or not.
4) Rear bumper is totally different having very few recesses for ventilation which facilitates engine cooling.
5) Rear fog lamp(may be reflector) in rear bumper is placed above number plate
Attached Thumbnails
3 Cylinder Nano on the cards-23022013314.jpg  

3 Cylinder Nano on the cards-23022013315.jpg  

3 Cylinder Nano on the cards-23022013316.jpg  

sushantr5 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2013, 16:35   #70
Senior - BHPian

This must be a front engined NANO. I think TATA wants to go conventional on the NANO now, get the engine in the front and get a hatch that opens at the rear, but looks like this one is some time away, maybe the 2014 AUTOEXPO
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2013, 12:16   #71
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
This must be a front engined NANO. I think TATA wants to go conventional on the NANO now, get the engine in the front and get a hatch that opens at the rear, but looks like this one is some time away, maybe the 2014 AUTOEXPO
Nope - Nano CANNOT fit a front engine in the space available.

This could be either a diesel of a CNG version, or a face lift maybe.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2013, 21:54   #72
BHPian

Even the tyre looks wider. But then, anything that adds weight will probably need wider tracks and a re-calibration of the suspension in something as light as a Nano.
Contrapunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2014, 17:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

Looks like it is happening, finally! Tata Nano will get a turbocharged engine this festive season according to Autocar India.

Quote:
This will be the first time that the Tata Nano’s engine will see a mechanical addition to help boost the car’s power output significantly. The turbocharged Nano will be aimed at driving enthusiasts.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...er-388375.aspx
Old 17th June 2014, 17:54   #74
Senior - BHPian

A Tata Nano TURBOCHARGED ! for the enthusiast ! ?
And I always used to think that the enthusiasts want Power+Stability+Tank like build. How wrong was I !

On a serious note, I do not think the Nano can handle more power and pick up in its current avatar. Lets hope this is a turbo charged diesel mill planned long back, and not a turbo charged petrol.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote