Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd March 2012, 19:16   #16
BHPian

Default Re: PICS : A Day at the Mercedes Factory (Chakan, MH)

Nice pics Parrys. The Chakan factory is an awesome facility. Me and Dippy had done a 2 day trip there in 2009. It was fun especially seeing how these cars are built. Here is a link to that thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super-...akan-pune.html (A Tri Pointed Star Travelogue with Pics: Trip to the Mercedes Benz Plant Chakan, Pune)
Fireblader85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2012, 23:03   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrys View Post
[*]The Black S-Class seen here is the stripped down variant - The S300.[*]The S300 will be powered by a 3.0L V6 petrol engine producing 228 BHP power and 300 Nm of torque.[*]It is a SKD (semi-knock down) model where the entire body frame is imported, unlike the other CKD models.[*]This will be the entry level S-Class saloon.[/list]
Parrys,

The S 300 L is already on sale. It is currently the cheapest S-Class saloon starting from 89 Lacs onwards.
funkydevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 00:28   #18
Senior - BHPian

Not trying to be a prick but some errors, and some inputs,

Quote:
[*]By 2015, Mercedes will have the GLC to rival the BMW X1. Also, the GLK will be pitted against the X6.

(GLC will Rival X6, GLK Rivals X3 and BLC (name not confirmed will rival X1)

[*]Mercedes will begin with CKD assembly of the GL-Class by next year.

(This is a good move as it will be the next gen GL which goes on sale in Q3 this year globally, sheds a lot of weight and adds a lot of upmarket interiors)

[*]Mercedes is building a Brand Centre known as "Auto House 1000" in Delhi. This will be one of the biggest Brand Centres Mercedes has in Asia and will be spread over 60,000 sq.ft. It might also include several Vintage Mercedes. 5 floors and almost 30 cars to be displayed here.

If they want to build the brand how about first better service? Better configured models Esp. CLS and its diesel variants? How about some customizations in their cars? How about better inventory of AMG cars? How about better higher management staff?

A cheaper S-Class variant (Expected soon)

Another pointless move, if they wanted a volume S-Class it should have been the S250CDI in SWB or LWB, any 300 is going to do no big dent to the competition. S250CDI is the world's most fuel efficient car in it's class.

Regards,

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 3rd March 2012 at 00:40.
S350L-E240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:05   #19
dot
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing.

The pictures of sequential fitment of trim on the same car was truly nice to watch.

Had a question, does Mercedes use spot welding to merge panels to structure or adhesives as one of your pictures showed, or both as needed.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:11   #20
BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

@parrys: Thanks for sharing your tour through the MBIL facility at Chakan. Surprising for MBIL has allowed you to take pics of its facility during the tour.
Durango Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:06   #21
srh
BHPian

After looking at the pictures, I can say there is nothing special about it. The assembly line is as manual as it gets (obviously due to the volumes manufactured). Notice that they also have a "Rework" area.
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
Notice that they also have a "Rework" area.
Unfortunately for paint defects like a scratch on the body, the company initially takes up the standard rubbing-polishing procedure. A manufacturer with such premium offerings in my opinion should replace a scratched part (what is the point of a multi-layer paint shop when you are rubbing it for scratches). A reason why it is not possible to re-paint a single part separately is that Mercedes does not have an independent paint shop yet.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:45   #23
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Unfortunately for paint defects like a scratch on the body, the company initially takes up the standard rubbing-polishing procedure. A manufacturer with such premium offerings in my opinion should replace a scratched part (what is the point of a multi-layer paint shop when you are rubbing it for scratches). A reason why it is not possible to re-paint a single part separately is that Mercedes does not have an independent paint shop yet.
I would doubt that the rework is for paint scratches because in that case they would have to use air drying paint. The rework area would most probably for denting/ tinkering
srh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 21:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srh View Post
I would doubt that the rework is for paint scratches because in that case they would have to use air drying paint. The rework area would most probably for denting/ tinkering
True. I just mentioned about the paint job aspect in general, not relating to the re-work area.
parrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2012, 23:20   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
@parrys: Thanks for sharing your tour through the MBIL facility at Chakan. Surprising for MBIL has allowed you to take pics of its facility during the tour.
While in Germany I visited the Mercedes Benz facility at Sindelfingen near Stuttgart. Here, visitors were only shown the manufacture of the C Class right from the cold rolled sheet stamping to the painting and final finishing stages. They did not allow any photography beyond the museum and visitors reception building.
Its quite nice of the Merc India officials to allow photography here.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 13:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Awesome.
It must be an life time experience to see a Merc being manufactured in front of your eyes.
Quote:

The Audit Room: A freshly manufactured car is picked out randomly, and then put through an 8-hour quality audit:
Does this mean that all the car that are manufactured don't go trough this audit.
Please clarify .

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 13:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Awesome.
Does this mean that all the car that are manufactured don't go trough this audit.
Please clarify .

Cheers
All car's, before they wear the Mercedes badge go through a regular check after being washed.
The audit is for quality control, so they notice the respective issue from a respective department. (Paint job / Interior / body work etc.)
Also, it is not practical for a manufacturer to run a Audit on all the cars they produce. 8 hours for each car produced is excessive wastage of time.
Imagine how long would it take for your car to be delivered after booking it if it has to go through such a tedious audit.

Last edited by parrys : 7th March 2012 at 13:45.
parrys is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 14:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

My only grouse is why you weren't carrying an SLR. The pics don't do justice to the beauties!

Thanks for the wonderful walkthrough!
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 15:17   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
My only grouse is why you weren't carrying an SLR. The pics don't do justice to the beauties!

Thanks for the wonderful walkthrough!
I'm sorry for the bad quality images, I tried my best with manual settings. I just need to gather enough patience to buy and use a DSLR.
parrys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 15:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Red face Re: PICS : A Day at the Mercedes Factory (Chakan, MH)

@parrys,

Thanks for the wonderful pics. You indeed are a lucky chap to get an invite. Maybe next time you could tag me along (thane connection you see)

I could see many unsafe things in the plant like fire hydrant being blocked by dust bin, workers with no safety helmet, no ear plugs (I bet it would noisy on the shop floor), half sleeved uniforms. Just my observations.

Loved seeing the three pointer beauties.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote