Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 3rd March 2012, 12:13   #61
BHPian

The real leader of its segment is back with a bang. Watch out pretenders - Vento, Verna, Rapid and Fiesta.
Old 3rd March 2012, 12:38   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: February 2012 : Indian Car Sales & Analysis

Eon numbers are interesting. This is supposed to be the Alto beater from Hyundai and has already overtaken Nano which has been around for longer. But on the other hand, Eon and i10 numbers are quite close to each other.

Honda City should make for an interesting study too. How can a car that does not have a diesel variant, be a market leader in a segment filled with diesel cars in a country where diesel is much cheaper??

Congratulations on your caaaar @GTO!
amitoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:08   #63
BHPian

Awesome numbers, and an even more awesome report/analysis - it just gets better and better!
This should be printed - you will make a lot of money

Coming to the month - quite a blowout month. MSIL dealers should be taken to task over the swift waiting period. Is it arrogance? Maybe they dont know enough? I dont know what it is, but Swift waiting-period should be max 3-4 months. With 1L DDIS engines sourced from Fiat, I thought they cracked it..

I am disappointed with Jazz numbers.. Does it offer too much space - more than whats needed by most of us? Or is it that Brio offers just right? My sister-in-law got her Brio and boy, its so much cool and fun! She was clear that she will go for a Honda hatch only since she is in for a petrol.. But she chose Brio for its smaller size.. (the top end Brio V cost 6.23L on-road in BLR).. Jazz was well within her reach..

Good to see lot of Rapid buyers but has there been any marked improvement from Skoda A.S.S.?

Last edited by Equus : 3rd March 2012 at 13:11.
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:20   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Fiat - No offense to the ailing cricketer Yuvi and I wish him a speedy recovery; but look at how Birla insurance is making the most of his illness; where is your marketing team? wasn't your ad something similar?
FIAT's contract with YUVI was over more than a year back. Unless a new agreement is signed they aren't legally allowed to use Yuvi as brand ambassodor.
OT: Birla Insurance ad is too opportunistic. It might create a dent on their image.
Old 3rd March 2012, 13:35   #65
BHPian

Whose buying all those EECO's?

BTW does anyone know what happened to the "KIZASHI"
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:08   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Dzire is still dominating despite the chopped boot, interesting! Does this number include old Dzire as well? because its still available for taxi segment.

New Fiesta @77 has now gone down to Linea as well despite huge discounts. Ford has killed a good product due to its pricing.

@GTO, Congratulations on your caaaaaar!!

Note: Graph for New Fiesta is incomplete. I think its because of a blank value for Jan 2012.
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:00   #67
BHPian

Honda City numbers just seem to amaze me. Petrol price rise or not, people still love the city. Although I think the numbers are a bit inflated, these numbers are too good for a petrol only car. For Chevrolet, Beat is the only model bringing good numbers. I never knew Tavera was still being sold (I suppose it’s the taxi segment buying them). Chevrolet needs to refresh their product line up. FIAT facing the heat of the competition as usual and I think FIAT’s management should definitely read Smartcat’s thread for the real problem (I agree to some level with that). If lesser number of cars is an issue then to some extent even Ford has it but still they clock healthy numbers. Mahindra and Maruti enjoying great numbers again. Each and every model of Mahindra is doing numbers north of 1,000.
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:49   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Honda City numbers just seem to amaze me. Petrol price rise or not, people still love the city. Although I think the numbers are a bit inflated, these numbers are too good for a petrol only car.
+1. Even I am unable to digest those figures. The new city looks new only on paper with very few actual changes. The new CE variant is interesting and VFM but then it still cannot explain more then 6000 cars sold/dispatched in a month. More so because most of the City's limitations still stand strong and with another price hike on the petrol looming around the corner, it does not make sense.
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:02   #69
Senior - BHPian

^^ Not to take the credit on how good these cars are (City & Swift/ Dzire), I feel that the inflated numbers of these cars are because the pending supplies more than anything else.

IMO, in a normal situation, the figures should be be as under:
Swift ~ 15K
Dzire ~ 10K+
City ~ 3.5K+

Off topic, seeing a lot of Swift-D (not Dzire) taxis up North, especially the older models. It appears that the cars rejected by private buyers in favour of the new model have been lapped up by commercial buyers.
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:01   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa_kiran View Post
The real leader of its segment is back with a bang. Watch out pretenders - Vento, Verna, Rapid and Fiesta.
These are surely because of the backlog due to the floods in Thailand. A couple of months from now, say, April will give the correct figures. Infact if you take the avg of the last 4 months, the figure comes to 2.2K.

Last edited by shivasuma : 3rd March 2012 at 20:05.
Old 4th March 2012, 08:58   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
I am disappointed with Jazz numbers.. Does it offer too much space - more than whats needed by most of us?
Waiting period FOR Jazz quoted by Trivandrum dealer yesterday is 7 months!!! Brio waiting period is 2 months. May be Honda is prioritizing City and Brio over Jazz. Or some Jazz components may have production issues even now.

City selling 6000 - What would have been the sales if they had a diesel?

~Manoj
Old 4th March 2012, 09:23   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, the Sunny Diesel has not been delivered yet. Once it is, and I put in atleast 2,000 kms on the car
Ohhh No, you turned to the dark side, using the dark fuel . Just saw someone congratulating you as i had missed this post, you were nothing less then an inspiration for petrol only folks around .

Congratulations, i am sure the first 2k will go up in a jiffy.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 4th March 2012 at 09:25.
Old 4th March 2012, 10:13   #73
BHPian

One question bothers me - if we leave out the XUV, aria numbers are about average in the segment, about 500 a month? I really wonder if tata can recover the R&D costs, tooling and die costs with these numbers. What would be a decent number for the aria in this segment?

I dont think Fiat will get to a state where its survival can be questioned, as long as Maruti and Tata buy engines n tranny from them. Is this why Fiat is complacent in pushing their cars in the market?
Old 4th March 2012, 10:35   #74
dot
Senior - BHPian

Very nice presentation.

What is interesting to see that in top 10 gainers list MoM wise, Safari occupies a position, albeit the last one, but still. I am yet to see the same list for other months but what I feel is the following.

Customer is aware of the impending new model. What it probably points is that the current Safari has more appeal. Other two factors could be,
(1) the expectation of increased levies and taxes on diesel engine vehicles and,
(2) lowering of prices might have also helped.
Old 4th March 2012, 12:57   #75
BHPian

As usual - interesting read. Numbers are getting more interesting. Thanks to preivous year stock with some dealers (VW - still doing those Ad's !).

C2 is of my interest. City vs Vento / Rapid and Verna.

Thanks to delay in Jazz delays, City is on roll. But wonder the buyers - B2 stock problem resulting in C2 increase... man - that is interesting !

Actually - City's sales increase is not having impact on competitor's sales (i.e. no major decline).

Looking for the March & April - am sure it be even more interesting. Financial Year-end, Taxation, Corporate Leasing in April - etc.

Another point - petrol vs diesel continue to dominate the indian buyer's - decision making !
Closed Thread