Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 7th March 2012, 12:06   #16
BHPian

Default Re: News:Fiat mulls Chrysler portfolio for India

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Wow ... thats a great news. They should think of launching chrysler 300 in India.
==============
May be little old fashioned but looks stunning. Please launch that car in India. I will buy one if it is affordable to me
if fiat launches chysler 300 in the current specification(V6 diesel) expect a price not less than 25 lakhs.
justin.das is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 12:25   #17
BHPian

If they bring the Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Town and Country here and price it right, there will be a lot takers.
Superleggera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 12:31   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
if fiat launches chysler 300 in the current specification(V6 diesel) expect a price not less than 25 lakhs.
They will not launch same engine here. Max they will give us is 2.0 Liter diesel engine. India dont want too much high powered engines (Only few may want it & very few out of them will actually but it )

But i just love that car. Please launch it for me at least
aniketi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 13:45   #19
BHPian

This is a no-brainer. They should have done this a while back. I have a feeling that if the Linea and the Punto had been branded as Chrysler Linea and Chrysler Punto in India then they would have done a whole lot better. They don't need to bring down the American fuel guzzling models; they just need the badge which they own. The Fiat name has suffered a major beating thanks to PAL.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 15:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
This is a no-brainer. They should have done this a while back. I have a feeling that if the Linea and the Punto had been branded as Chrysler Linea and Chrysler Punto in India then they would have done a whole lot better. They don't need to bring down the American fuel guzzling models; they just need the badge which they own. The Fiat name has suffered a major beating thanks to PAL.
completely agree! Having decided to stick to Fiat brandonly, they should have at least embraced thier heritage and use it to thier advantage since most of us in our 30 to 40 will remember the Fiat as the first car in the family(my dad's first car was a fiat). With the right commercials it could have made us nostalgic & help dispel the negative perception. I say "Attach is the best form of defence"
urajkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 15:30   #21
Senior - BHPian

Looking at GM, they cant make Chrysler that successful. Indians dont value American branded cars in the same vein as German/Japanese carmakers.

I think in a small market overcrowding with brands will not help. People who want bigger/premium cars (which Chrysler caters to) may not warm up much to Chrysler.
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 12:19   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Bad news continues for FIAT India , now in the form of excise duty fraud!

Supreme Court orders Fiat India to cough up Rs 400 crore as excise duty.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16050521.cms

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st August 2012 at 12:23.
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 12:58   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Bad news continues for FIAT India , now in the form of excise duty fraud!

Supreme Court orders Fiat India to cough up Rs 400 crore as excise duty.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/16050521.cms
Firstly this is not fraud. The excise department perceive this as undervaluation. Secondly this is pertaining to the Premier automobiles era. Though FIAT need to pay for it, the current legal might not have anything to do with this case.

It would be wonderful not to spread unwanted rumours.

Cheers,
KRISHNA
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 14:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
BANGALORE, MARCH 1:
Fiat is evaluating the option of launching cars from its Chrysler portfolio, which includes Jeep, Dodge and the Chrysler, in India.
This looks like GM's move when they had to go slow on Opel and eventually pull it back and push Chevrolet which is a more customer accepted brand than Opel due to variety of reasons ranging from service network / cost of maintenance and initial product positioning strategy of Astra / Corsa / Sail / Vectra.

The kind of image Fiat has painted in the picture of Indian consumers, apart from the Fiat fans , its going to be very hard to change the notions associated with the brand.

I hope they don't pull back Fiat like Opel and continue in the small car segment which it does great all over the globe and use Dodge/Chrysler for the 9~23 lac category.

Jeep may find some niche market considering its price segment. It may be a fad for a while.

What ever the brand they bring , I hope they do understand that service network is as important as the product. You need to invest in both to see the brand succeed as a whole.

All the best for their stint !
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 14:59   #25
Senior - BHPian

I think that rather than this they should get the 1.6 Diesel engine for Linea and Punto.
Also if they launch Jeep and if I have money I will buy it.

BTW where the Charger will charge on Indian roads?
Like death Indian roads are great equalizers. Merc SUV and BMW et all wait behind broken down Tata 407's and Mahindra Pickups in traffic.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 15:31   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Firstly this is not fraud. The excise department perceive this as undervaluation. Secondly this is pertaining to the Premier automobiles era. Though FIAT need to pay for it, the current legal might not have anything to do with this case.

It would be wonderful not to spread unwanted rumours.

Cheers,
KRISHNA
I totally agree with you. The then Fiat India imported Uno cars at a higher tag price, assembled them here and sold at a lower price (well - may not be entirely correct. Possibly they kept the margins extremely low). They charged the tax from customers on the selling price and not on the importing price. They either did it because the tax rules had a flaw/loophole (which is not entirely Fiat's fault), or misunderstood Indian tax laws (which is Fiat's fault entirely).

The tax department claimed that the tax has to be paid on importing price. Finally, the courts have agreed with the tax department.

I guess the old Fiat India was dissolved and the current FIAPL was formed. Will the current Fiat India entity pay that amount?
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 16:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
The tax department claimed that the tax has to be paid on importing price. Finally, the courts have agreed with the tax department.

I guess the old Fiat India was dissolved and the current FIAPL was formed. Will the current Fiat India entity pay that amount?
This is what I was also thinking "Who will pay this tax". It took so long for the SC to decide the case, well I think Fiat still has the right to appeal to a larger bench of the SC. The earstwhile Fiat India has wind up it's operation in India and the FIAPL is a new company registered under the Companies Act thus having a different identity.

Since we are talking about Fiat, here is a recent interview of Mr. Enrico Atanasio. http://www.automotiveproductsfinder..../Aug/AR-04.asp

A relevant part is reproduced below :
Quote:
Q. Current Fiat car owners are not very happy with the existing service standards and spares availability?

That is precisely the reason we are keen to set up a strong Fiat dealer network. In India we have the biggest parts operation in the Asia-Pacific region. We will be expanding our service operations big time. We will be focusing on service and spares for Palios.

Last edited by Sommos : 31st August 2012 at 16:10.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 18:26   #28
BHPian

I don't know if this has come on the forum earlier.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/jeep-c...aunch-in-2013/

Mods: please delete if being repeated, thanks
220kmph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 19:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220kmph View Post
I don't know if this has come on the forum earlier.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/jeep-c...aunch-in-2013/

Mods: please delete if being repeated, thanks
Don't know if this is true. There are lots of contradictions with regard to future plan from Fiat. Mr. Atanasio says in this interview that no new launches till end of 2013. We may have to wait and see for the more updates or developments.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2012, 20:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

There is no way Fiat can go on till the end of 2013 without launching new models. There already are so many new dealers, and they would not want to sell 2 models for another 15 months!

I feel fully loaded Jeep Grand Cherokee will come in first, as CBU, in exclusive Jeep showrooms in major cities. Looking at its UK prices, and comparing with Land Rover Discovery, it would not cost less than 45L Rs.

I hope they launch an expensive Chrysler through CBU route. Expensive because, they have to avoid homologation process.

Last edited by rohanjf : 7th October 2012 at 20:51.
rohanjf is offline   Reply With Quote