Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 5th March 2012, 16:46   #31
Team-BHP Support
Default Re: Future of Scorpio after launch of XUV500

Scorpio competes in sub 10L bracket mostly and outsells competition(Safari) by 2x
So why would Mahindra hand over the market to Tata?
Lots of segments have multiple vehicles from same MFR. As long as Mahindra sells bolero, scorpio, Xylo, XUV in large numbers, it has no reason to discontinue.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 17:31   #32
Senior - BHPian

There are a lot of Scorpio fans out here, including myself.

I am a fan of big butch SUVs & would anytime prefer a Scorpio over a softer XUV, provided Mahindra launches an upgraded Scorpio with 140 bhp (160?!!), better & spacious interiors, good ride quality, more safety, abundance of features & brute looks. Even if M&M prices it alongside the XUV, I feel it will get more takers.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 19:41   #33

Dr Pawan Goenka recently clarified the product overlap issue in an interview.
"XYLO is a MUV, Scorpio is a SUV and XUV is a modern crossover."

Hence even though the prices overlap, Mahindra positions the three products very clearly into different segments.

It's highly unlikely that Scorpio will be discontinued until there is a suitable successor to it. XUV is not its successor. May be the next generation Scorpio is.

Going by the Bolero history, there may not be a big bang all new Scorpio. The upgrades may be incremental. Lot of XUV features are going to make its way to Scorpio.

That said, Scorpio is not Bolero and it's a lifestyle vehicle. Thinking on these lines, its quite probable that they bring an all new Scorpio. Guess we'll have to wait.
tachobells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 20:41   #34
Team-BHP Support

What is the big deal really?
Almost all top variant hatches are a small packet away from their counterpart entry level sedans, e.g. I20 - Verna, Swift - Dezire, Indica - Indigo, the works, heck there is a much smaller difference in prices in the above examples than the Mahindra siblings.
As pointed out by swiftnfurious, not every Scorpio sold is the top end variant. There is a substantial 2.25 Lacs difference in ex - showroom cost between the XUV 5OO and the Scorpio with the same level of kit.

However, as mentioned in our official review Mahindra has succeeded in filling the gap between the top end Safari / Scorpio and the Pajero / Fortuner with the XUV 5OO. There mostly were a large number of people who would opt for a 15L C+ segment sedan / stretch themselves to the Pajero / Fortuner / Captiva / settle for the top end variants of the Safari / Scorpio due to unavailability of a fitting 15L SUV prior to the launch of the XUV.

Tata did have a first mover chance with the Aria, but their pricing strategy ensured them an appearance in our 'Market Duds' thread rather than competing for car of the year
manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th March 2012, 18:58   #35

Originally Posted by BANDHAV View Post
But this is the case when M&M is not producing/delivering enough XUV5OO, I am pretty sure once it's available off the shelf just like Scorpio, the numbers will be telling a different story altogether.

I am not suggesting that Scorpio will become a pray of in house cannibalization but doing same sort of numbers at current price point with XUV around will be a hard nut to crack.

Can you please elaborate this?

There are some serious niggles and issues with XUV. While the market response is overwhelming, some basic issues such as braking is not resolved. Please read the thread "XUV 500 niggles and their solutions".. I, for one posted about 9 different issues - 3 of them serious enough..

Just to give bring you upto speed

1. The braking is not effective - Though the customer service folks give variety of reasons, the bottom line is that it is acknowledged by Mahindra and they seem to be working on a fix for this.

2. Major noise when you brake - From front wheels - Especially in a speed breaker

3. Clutch very notchy - Scorp seems better

4. Gear shift is not smooth

And there are many other issues including rattling noise.

I would advise anyone planning to buy XUV to wait for another 6 months or so - The price differential not so bad compared to all these issues.

Btw.. All my issues are handled by their Customer Service VP - Their service may be good - But the issues remain unresolved. Would you risk your life with a vehicle which has pathetic braking? Or with a vehicle which makes a bad noise every time you brake? (I used the car for 5000KMs now) - These issues were not identified during test drives.. These are showing up upon using the vehicle for a long time
sheelapratosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 15:35   #36

When the old war horse Bolero is still ruling the market after so many years, the very thought of M&M stopping Scorpio which was the game changer for them and helped them shed thier old rustic image (they even have a history book on Scorpio's journey) is out of question.

At best like the Xylo, there will be a makeover soon with the new front grille look (Much much better than the current silver toothed bugs bunny look) which should make the Scorpio look more butch & macho!
urajkumar is offline   Reply With Quote