Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 17th March 2012, 23:14   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Vista - Highly Underrated MJD hatchback compared to Swift ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
So while the 1st gen Indica looks good even after 14 years of existence (have you seen a brand new CR4 LX lately?), the Vista fails to impress in terms of style, even though it is an improved product otherwise.

The Swift is no beauty but at least it has style and presence.

Cheers!
I am no Indica Vista fan, but I beg to differ. I find the exterior looks of the Vista leagues ahead of the Indica. Even the inside looks much better, except the central speedo.

Even then, the ugly cobra-head like speedo of the Indica is thankfully absent in the Vista.

As regards the Swift, it does look hot even today.

So as the old saying goes--'beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder'
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 22:54   #137
Senior - BHPian

Vista VX with all discounts including exchange bonus for petrol car comes out to be around 80k cheaper now than the Swift VDi !

Surely an unbeatable deal ?
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2012, 23:06   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Vista VX with all discounts including exchange bonus for petrol car comes out to be around 80k cheaper now than the Swift VDi !

Surely an unbeatable deal ?
Please don't go by the exchange discount. Typically, dealers evaluate your car for a lesser price making the deal look sweeter.

Having said that, the Swift is surely and overpriced car. Especially the diesels. Here are the prices for OTR Bangalore: Swift VDi- 7.3L, Vista VX - 6.9. Comparatively, Ritz VDi is far more VFM at 6.7L (VDi ABS 7L) and they were offering 20K discount on exchange bonus when I bought my Ritz 2 weeks back.
blue_pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2012, 14:50   #139
BHPian

While Swift is a very good car, I prefer a Vista Q for the space, seating position and price.

One of my friends has a Vista Q. No hassles over service. The Service Centre is doing just fine whenever the vehicle is sent to it. Had a replacement for PS pump without any problem. I see no problem with Tata Service.

I had an Indica which did 2.8 lakh kilometres. Never once did it trouble me while on go (except once when the dynamo belt snapped; but I continued driving the vehicle to nearest garage).

Last edited by simplyself : 11th June 2012 at 14:55.
simplyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 23:30   #140
BHPian

I have a Vista. It is tough and stronger than Swift. The greatest plus point of Swift is the A.S.S which cannot be compared with TATA A.S.S. Cost of ownership of Swift is less in the long run. Maintenance of Vista is bit more, but if you are an Indica fan, then this should not bother you to ride a TANK on the road. I did not like Swift's rear space comfort.

If you do not like any hassles of service then Swift is the car for you. Swift is famous because of the product stability in the market.

If you are a frequent long distance traveler, Vista is always the best. A real fact I want to share is, after driving Vista, I was never comfortable with any of the other hatchbacks in this segment. Tata has better cars in their stable. If TATA provides a separate premium service station for white board cars this would beat any other service stations. The Turn Around Time during service needs to improve.

Last edited by yogeshnaik : 9th December 2012 at 23:38.
yogeshnaik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th December 2012, 23:48   #141
BHPian

Truly believe me i have never experienced the kind of comfort that my Manza offers me. It is really hard to believe that a Tata car is so good, but indeed it is. Many do not know the best things about a Tata car, most stay away from it. I was also one among them till i bought a Tata product. But yes, i agree that there are frequent niggles with a Tata car and also the service is not upto the mark. I have learnt to live with it.

Ignorant people (off course those who are not part of this forum) have a wrong belief that Tata cars are of low quality and only meant for taxis.But thats not the truth.

But it would be hard to believe if i say that my i10's service from the Hyundai A.S.S is no better than the Tata. Only Maruthi stand on top with the A.S.S because i had a very long term relationship with my previous Maruthi car. Hyundai is too costly in terms of service and lacks top notch service job.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 11:57   #142
rkg
Senior - BHPian

I do own a Indica Vista Qjet Aura. Oct 2008. One of initial lot.
So far the car has run 64 K
It had taken me to Vizag from Bangalore( 2 times)
Bangalore to Dwarka, Ujjain, hyd , a total of 6K
Bangalore-gokarna-kolhapur-bhimshankar-trimbak-shirdi-pandhrapur-bangalore 3 K
Several other small trips.
It has never let me down on the highway.
I had got exceptional service levels on the way at Tanjore,Indore,Bijapur,tirupati freely
(most of the times to correct the engine guard to original level)
None of the original electrical's have failed so far( power windows, lights wipers, fog lamps etc)
I have not changed the bulbs till now( head lights, fogs, brake lamps etc) SPare bulbs provided at the time purchase are still with me. Recently i have changed front left fog lamp at 60K. Rest all are fine
Iam ok original audio provide by TATA. Only display is not good. BUt sound quality is ok for me. It is also working fine without any problems.
Original wipers lasted for 56K
Brake pads for 54K
Tyres for 54K
Concorde service is Ok for me sofar. Not bad, not exceptional. But i was always provided a spare car whenever car was with them for more than a day ( thrice to be specific)
Concorde, Bangalore always checked the car before every long trip, freely
Concorde always provided me pick up and drop for service(for both paid and free services)

Space offered is very good.

I have always traveled with my parents( father 80 Y, mother 75Y) on long distance. No fatigue at all (Tirupati-Vizag 14 hours at a strecth , twice)

Milage
City 13.5 to 14.5( with and without AC
Highway around 18 always with AC

Now iam planning to change a bigger car.

My choices are really restricted because of my Vista, which has spoiled me for space
Only drawback in the car is AC is little poorer compared to my brother's Marina. It should have been little better

Last edited by rkg : 10th December 2012 at 12:00.
rkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th December 2012, 16:26   #143
Senior - BHPian

I have just recently bought a preowned 2009 Vista QJD and have to admit that its a no-nonsense car. Lots of space ( love the trays under the passeger seat for bottles/books etc ) , good driveablility in the city ( maybe because I am coming from petrol cars ). FE - have not been able to check but i guess it should easily give 15-17kmpl in the City. In a nut shell it goes about doing its job in a kind of humble way without any grumbling.

BUT.....
1) interior plastic quality is poor - my i10 is leagues ahead
2) Even the ETIOS which supposedly has poor interiors looks better. I am not the one who is choosy about the "soft touch " etc, but whatever is given inside should have neat edges and screwed up well together. In the Vista, may of the plastics have rough edges ( like Chinese toys ), they are flimsily put together ( as if juveniles were recruited at half the salary that Maruti pays to its contract labour ), the indicator stalk markings look like amateur art work
some e.gs
a) power window switches are crude
b) door opening latch looks like it will fall off
c) seat adjusting clamp below and in the side are very very flimsy
d) button used to switch on A/C or recirculation gives no feedback - u dont know whether it was pressed or not.

3) Noise levels are on the higher side. I can see Siwfts/Ritzes making lesser noise ( running with the same Fiat engine )
4) Clutch - really HARD. saves 1 day at the Gym ( spent on squats !- sorry slightly exaggerated ).

I dont want to discuss about TASS because I dont have a first hand experience and enough has been said.

all in all, its priced at its given level for what it offers. TATA is not doing any of us any favours by pricing it "lower". People also buy it if the benefits suits their needs and the drawbacks are not deal breakers for them. So I dont see any reason for calling it under-rated. In a open market where customer choice is not restricted, people decide what they want to pay for. So it would be unfair to say that people who bought a SWIFT or a European HATCH have made a foolish choice by ignoring the Vista.

Last edited by narayan : 10th December 2012 at 16:35.
narayan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote