Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th March 2012, 17:48   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Registration woes. Toyota dealer says "insufficient documents"!

Check with dealer if the passbook of a nationalized bank will do. Here in Delhi-NCR one can get a vehicle registered using the passbook a nationalized bank along with a notarized affidavit.

If you already have an account in one of the nationalized bank nothing like it, if not then you can get one opened using your elec bill.
BANDHAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 19:00   #17
BHPian

Thanks guys, really appreciate your inputs.

I spoke to the manager again, who in turn spoke to her seniors and after juggling a few calls confirmed that they can register the car albeit at an extra cost on INR 8,000/-

They claim that there is "RTO Camp" held every week for the Aadiwasi people who do not have a ration card and/ or voters card and/or passport.

The next camp is held on Friday (16th March, 12) and they will apply for my registration then. Unfortunately I could not get more information as I was in a meeting when she called and had to hang up.

@drmohitg and @swiftnfurios:
Thanks guys, I did. I'm still not getting my hopes up until they finally do it now.

@ghodlur
Yes I have a permanent place in Dombivali. I'm not doing anything illegal. I don;t understand why they have to complicate such basic things.
Case in hand mkpiyengar's post!
vandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 21:10   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Vandan,

On a related note, please ensure that Shinrai "invoices" your car right away. If it's not done by Friday the 16th, you will be paying the new post-budget prices. As of now, there is a 50:50 chance of the Government hiking taxes on diesel cars.

And yes, if your dealer refuses to co-operate anymore, get in touch with Toyota directly. They take these things very seriously.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 21:45   #19
Senior - BHPian

I have done registration on my bikes and car through affidavit, first time i had a letter from company HR as i am staying at so and so address, now i have registered my bike with just a BSNL landline bill. Pan card as ID proof.

I was charged 750rs as affidavit charges, i am sure there is some commision in that.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 13th March 2012 at 21:46.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 13:28   #20
BHPian

Cannot comment on the exact RTO requirements in your area as they differ from place to place. One thing that does not change is the might of the brokers outside RTO offices.

My suggestion to you would be as follows:

1. Request your dealer to provide you with all requisite documents in original to you. (Tax Invoice, Sale Certificate, Manufacturer Certificate, etc.)

You may be asked for a formal letter of request which should not be a problem. In fact, a written document is always beneficial in case dealer tries unscrupulous activities at a later stage.

2. If dealer fails to comply, escalate matter to dealer principle and if required Toyota Area Office. These documents are your right. they cannot deny you these documents.

3. Apply for registration through your agent/broker. Pay him through your own external funds but only after you obtain registration certificate. This will allow you the peace of mind since you are only paying after surety of registration. Please DO NOT pay in advance to the agent. You can always pressure a dealer to refund you money but agents is a totally different case.

4. Produce the registration certificate at dealership and request them to refund registration charges. Once again, make a formal request through a letter.

5. Dealer has to comply in this situation else once again approach Toyota Area office.

6. If toyota official do not help, threaten with legal consequences. (Highly unlikely as toyota will support its customer's plea since you are not asking for any unjustified refund.)

7. Drive Away! (That is, if you haven't already done so!!!)
akhilesh51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 16:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I have done registration on my bikes and car through affidavit, first time i had a letter from company HR as i am staying at so and so address, now i have registered my bike with just a BSNL landline bill. Pan card as ID proof.

I was charged 750rs as affidavit charges, i am sure there is some commision in that.
Affidavit charges are just Rs. 25. The stamp paper charges are separate - I think it was about Rs. 50 or 100.
I have done this twice in Pune to get two vehicles in my name.

@vandan: If you have time, visit the RTO in person. There is generally an enquiry counter - I would say both Pune RTO's have a very friendly person who gives you detailed step by step instructions for all sorts of queries. Just explain him the problem and record the entire conversation. That should be enough for the dealer.
Just like with others, I have no clue about *your* RTO - so there could be some differences.
The official charges for vehicle registration are very less.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th March 2012, 16:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think you will need two address proofs (since you are registering outside Mumbai) -

1) ORIGINAL telephone bill in your name (has to be MTNL, no airtel or TATA allowed). If bill is not in your name (suppose your dad's name), then a ration card copy with the same address showing your's & your dad's name would be required.
2) An electricity bill. Property agreement may or may not be considered.

After the address proof, they ask for individuality proof wherein the proof SHOULD have the same address in which you are registering your car. Driving license is not considered as a proof. Passport, Election card, etc. is considered.

I guess what the dealer is saying is not entirely false. Nowadays the RTO has become very strict after a lot of scams were exposed. So the dealers are reluctant or hesitant to handle such "special" cases. However, if you try doing the registration on your own with the help of an agent, you may be able to do it, of course with some extra expenditure!

Yes, the dealer should have checked your documents before hand & then taken the money. If at all they did that mistake, they should atleast refund the money to you.

You can fight with the higher ups in the dealership for the refund or atleast send mails to Toyota regarding this issue.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 14th March 2012 at 16:50.
raj_5004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 13:17   #23
BHPian

My Honda Accord was registered using the Sales agreement of my flat at Palghar. I had bought an investment flat and I have electricity bill on my name. These documents were enough. Of course both the documents were in my name and not my parents so it helped. If your agent manages get it done, the dealer will refund the money once you go to higher ups.
tazmaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 14:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Vandan,

On a related note, please ensure that Shinrai "invoices" your car right away. If it's not done by Friday the 16th, you will be paying the new post-budget prices. As of now, there is a 50:50 chance of the Government hiking taxes on diesel cars.

And yes, if your dealer refuses to co-operate anymore, get in touch with Toyota directly. They take these things very seriously.
I just spoke to the Assistant Manager again. She confirms that the budget will not affect me anyway.

However I'm still a little unsure as they had previously also said that I will ave no problem in registering the car.

How can I ensure that they stick to their word this time? Should I just call up the customer complaint and inform them before hand?
Old 15th March 2012, 14:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

Why wouldn't you escalate this matter to customer complaint dept already? You already know how good their confirmation was last time, I'd suggest you promptly document all your information exchange with this dealer and keep everybody posted on the proceedings. I'd again say, escalation to customer complaint dept should be done immediately.
fine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2012, 15:17   #26
BHPian

*Update*

I just shot a mail to Toyota customer care explaining the entire episode. Let's see what happens..

P.S.- I missed the 30 minute window to edit my previous post.
Old 15th March 2012, 21:24   #27
BANNED

I would like to tell you to avoid dealing with sales representatives in the dealerships and clerks in the RTO. If there is any problem in registration, go and talk to a Motor Vehicles Inspector (MVI) or Assistant Motor Vehicles Inspector (AMVI) in the RTO. These are the guys in uniform. Explain your problem to them and they will help you out. Anybody lower down is not authorised to take any decisions and they will just go by the book.
FRgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 04:25   #28
BHPian

Hi guys, sorry for going MIA, was not in India since the last 10 days..

As some of you know, I shot a strong mail to Toyota stating I would cancel my booking if I did not receive the car before I was back from my trip (my father would take delivery)

To my amazement, the showroom gave me the car in 3 days after sending the mail! I was hitting myself for not doing this 4 weeks back

I wasn't here but my dad said they didn't bother him at all and was wondering why I was making such a big deal out of it (he was completely unaware about the registration problems )

So to conclude, it turns out that my property papers, phone bill (TATA Indicom) and electricity bill were enough to register the car outside octroi!

Off topic: I drove my car today for the first time, feels amazing!
vandan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 09:26   #29
BHPian

Hello Vandan,

Congratulations on your new Etios.

Looking at the change in requirements after involving the manufacturer, I suspect the earlier actions from the dealer was just some options to make some easy money ?

Enjoy you new car and wish you many many miles of happy and safe journeys
S5157 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2012, 09:27   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan View Post
To my amazement, the showroom gave me the car in 3 days after sending the mail! I was hitting myself for not doing this 4 weeks back

Off topic: I drove my car today for the first time, feels amazing!
It feels great to know that Toyota takes these issues seriously. This is the reason we all suggested you to mail them. Such kind of swift action ensures the confidence in the brand.
Anyways congratulations on your car. Expect to see a TD report .
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote