Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 14th November 2015, 00:56   #241
BHPian

Default re: Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?

I always feel that Zen has the potential of being our Desi Mini Cooper, with a big engine, big brakes and low profile tires.

Maruti, please please please... Make this come true...

Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?-imag0402.jpg
Grr7 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 08:17   #242
BHPian

Default re: Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?

Definitely the Fiesta 1.6s, one of the best car with taut handling and dynamics. I just cannot think of any other car that comes close to this in its price range.
Chillout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2015, 09:42   #243
Distinguished - BHPian

Old Octavia 1.8 vRS with the 180BHP tune. Now is the time for turbo petrols.

Name:  out.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  143.8 KB
1.8 20 Valve Turbo, 150BHP, 0-100 in 8.4 Secs, Top speed 219KPH
Sankar is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 23:18   #244
BHPian

No doubt about it, I would drain out my account for a MAHINDRA CLASSIC ♡
sharoncr_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2016, 23:34   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Cherokee. The only regular American made car that is worth remembering. Very simple, but overdone engineering that will last forever. i mean a 4.0 l straight six producing less then 180 BHP is laughable, but will last forever. It will outdo a Land Rover or a range rover easily in difficult terrain. The design is a bit etch a sketch, but that is part of its charm. i loved my Jeep Cherokee, very sorry to have to sell it when we left the USA, but I will buy another one whenI get back to Europe at some point in time.

Jetoen
Jeroen is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2016, 00:11   #246
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi Cedia Sports for me.

Why?, Remap it + K & N typhoon kit + HKS Exhaust + 3x2x1 Headers = Pure Fun.

That 2 Litre engine was just so free revving.

In short, My first car, Loved it, Even more after these modifications.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 21:35   #247
BHPian

E36 BMW 318i with Manual Transmission. It is compact and has edgy styling.
altius is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2016, 22:40   #248
BHPian

Contessa with a big engine. Say, 1.8l with 140+ bhp on tap. With top notch safety features and lot of options to customize.
The old school muscle car looks and tough as it was, those days.

Aakarsh
Aakarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2016, 00:42   #249
BHPian

Opel Astra and Vectra for sure. I think the brand was ahead of its time, specially the Vectra. What a brand !
kartavya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 14:54   #250
Senior - BHPian

Default Bringing the dead back, Discontinued models deserving a re-birth!

While returning back from work the other day, I happened to notice a very immaculately maintained and polished Ford Mondeo (very rare).
It's timeless design made me look back at it again and again. And I ended up following it for the most part of my ride back home.
And that made me think, why this fine product is not in showrooms today and why it bombed.

On similar lines, there were other good products also, which once graced the showrooms of India, but they have disappeared now in oblivion.

I tried to capture a few of such examples below, with a small post mortem on why they died.

Bhpians, Pls feel free to add and correct.

1. Ford Mondeo

A legend in Europe since the 90s, Ford launched the 3rd gen Mondeo in India in 2001.
This was a car which put out around 140bhp (petrol) and around 120bhp (diesel), in 2001!. It came loaded with numerous features as well.
But the trump card was the ride and handling and the supreme engines. Obviously, It won almost every Auto Mag shootout in it's time.
It out-handled & out-accelerated every other car in it's range and era.
But sadly, it bombed on the sales chart thanks to the Accord & Camry.
Spare parts availability soon became a challenge. And ford very quickly pulled the plug on it, after 5 years of launch.
And never again bothered to re-launch it, even when the market for luxury opened up.

Just look at it's crisp lines:
Name:  fordmondeo.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  27.7 KB

2. Honda Civic

A design game changer from Honda, this car had one of the most futuristic interior designs ever in a car, in India.
It looked great from the outside too.
But, the cream was the engine. A proper rev-happy 1.8 mill.
However, dwindling sales led to Honda axing this great car, instead of bringing in the new gen model.

So, who killed it - It's younger brother, the City.

Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?-hondacivictyper01.jpg

3. Opel Astra

A popular luxury car in the 90s due to it's mature design, it came with decent engines, including a 1.7 Diesel with a Turbo.
However, the star attraction was the Styling and ride comfort it offered for that time.
The limited success however was short lived, as this car faded into death bed soon after the City & Lancer started dominating the scene.
GM of course, did not bother to bring in the new generation Astras, which were good, if not remarkable.

Name:  opel_astra.jpg
Views: 1896
Size:  8.9 KB

4. Mitsubishi lancer Cedia

A Rally legend in the Evo form, Mitsubishi watered down the lancer with the Cedia version.
It did not have the sharp handling of it's overseas brothers.
However, the car was still a good performer, with a very refined and very responsive 2.0 petrol mill.
And, in the hands of tuner, this car and this particular engine has limitless potential.
Finally, for the price point it was offered at, it was a good buy from a performance point of view.
HM for it's part did not bother updating it, and promptly axed it.

Name:  mitsubishilancercedia.jpg
Views: 1951
Size:  28.2 KB

5. GM Subaru Forester

A very capable vehicle, built on the legendary Imprezza Chassis.
This vehicle is widely regardly as the grand father of all cross-overs. It handled well OFF the road, and even better ON it.
However, Indians simply could not understand the vehicle and also saw it as steeply priced.
So, in summary it did not sell, in spite of being a good product.
Another case of being ahead of your time.

Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?-1280px20022005_subaru_forester_xt_wagon_20111118_01.jpg

6. Tata Sierra

We dont need to talk much about the Sierra. It was a big style statement when it was launched.
It had a large diesel engine, and tata offered 4wd also.
However, Tata could not capitalize on it. The price was a bit steep, and there were reliability concerns and quality issues.
But, the real issue was that this product was too ahead of it's time. The lifestyle SUV market just didnt exist at that time.
Sales plummeted And Tata soon went ahead and replaced the sierra with the Safari, which became another Icon.
But many people still remember the Sierra as the first great looking proper-SUV in India. It didn't deserve to die!

Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?-tata-sierra.jpg
abhishek46 is online now   (13) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:11   #251
BHPian

Default Re: Bringing the dead back, Discontinued models deserving a re-birth!

Bring back the good old Zen and Ill gladly buy it. But there is nothing wrong with car designs per se. Look at the international sedans available abroad from Mazda or Nissan, they look great if not fabulous. Its only when it comes to India better designs are just not making it, I really wonder why! Even Toyota and Honda's line up in our country are really shocking!
Sebring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:15   #252
Senior - BHPian

Of these cars, the only car which my heart still yearns for is the Tata Sierra. I think a bit of nip and tuck here and this car will look fantastic even today. I still remember the Pepsi advert with SRK and DC modified Sierra Karma and how I used to lust after this car. Give it a modern engine and interiors, subtle styling tweaks and I buy it even today in a heart beat.

That said I think Mazda should make an entry into India. I drive a 2.5 litre Mazda 3 and it is a fantastic car with fantastic engineering and unlike its quirky Japanese brethren, this one is a properly good looking car, even better than European cars in the same price range.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 8th June 2016 at 15:29.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:17   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Bring back the good old Zen and Ill gladly buy it. But there is nothing wrong with car designs per se. Look at the international sedans available abroad from Mazda or Nissan, they look great if not fabulous. Its only when it comes to India better designs are just not making it, I really wonder why! Even Toyota and Honda's line up in our country are really shocking!
My Bad. How could I forget the little Zen.
With 50hp and such a lithe body, it handled like a go-cart with very basic mods.
The facelifted Zen estilo was not half as much fun as the original.
abhishek46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:22   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Civic for sure. Still would look and feel the best Honda car in the lineup! Absolutely love the flow in the lines from the front to the rear. The interior as well!

That said - the tenth generation is on its way here. Supposed to be improved in every way. Does that make the eigth generation unnecessary? Mostly yes - but the eighth generation is still a lot more beautiful and there would be a significant price differential as well.

PS -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-sale-why.html

Thread exists.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:25   #255
BHPian

One small correction. Instead of the legendary Subaru brand, forester came with the sad Chevorlet bowtie badge.

Had they capitalised on the legendary Subaru forester all round capability and reliability for which it is famous internationally and helped establish the Subaru brand here, we could very well have seen even the Impreza here.

A sad product positioning and marketing failure.
rohitoasis is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote