Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th June 2016, 15:28   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Bringing the dead back, Discontinued models deserving a re-birth!

This is quiet an interesting thread. Members have mentioned some great cars one such car that comes to my mind is the ford ikon 1.8. It was such a great engine and its dynamics could put several cars of today to shame. It was sad to see that the name IKON ended with the "flair" edition which was hardly any fun to drive as the original.
just_in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:41   #257
BHPian

I wish TATA re launces Sierra, it was an amazing looking car and I remember we used to swoon just looking at it.
With the current quality standards being maintained think a Sierra comeback would be quite exciting

The old Zen what can I say about the car, having driven one for 1.5 Lakh kms and that too without any issues was one of the best cars to come out of the Maruti stables. The ride comfort, the way it used to hug the roads on high speeds was amazing

Last edited by Arkanile : 8th June 2016 at 15:43.
Arkanile is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:43   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Bring back the good old Zen and Ill gladly buy it.
+1 to that.

If there is one car I want to be brought back, it is the old, jellybean Zen. There has been no other car that has managed to ring a chord as deep in my heart as the Zen did. We owned a 2002 model for 11 years, and I so wish we had never let it go.

The best thing about the Zen was its simplicity - simple exterior, basic interior, a normal engine, a slightly hard steering, and a crisp gearbox. And still it is one of the peppiest hatchbacks Maruti has ever produced.
dZired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:55   #259
BHPian

Great thread. Of all the above, the Mondeo, the Forester and the Sierra are closest to my heart. A friend had a black Mondeo and I couldn't stop drooling over the design. Come on Ford, give us the new Mondeo again.
revvhed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:07   #260
BHPian

I thought I wouldn't find anything interesting on this list, but that was until I came across the GM Subaru Forester. I am well aware of Subaru having driven them in Denver over a decade ago where the heavy snowfall made most other cars inoperable. Back then, one could see Subarus all over Denver and the Rocky Mountains.

Here in India, I kept eyeing the car but it soon got discontinued. I remember the price being on the higher side back then (a Maruti Esteem cost only 4-5 lakhs at that time). I briefly even considered buying a used Forester. One neighbor of mine, a doctor, had a Forester that he bought new and kept using until a couple of years ago.

If GM starts selling an updated version of the Forester for a reasonable price, I will be sure to queue up.
nowwhat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:11   #261
BHPian

Don't forget the Fusion. With all the bally-hoo about Crossover's now, the good ole' Fusion unwittingly was ahead of its time. A cracker of a 1.6, crisp, short shifting tranny, generous ground clearance - it ticked all the Crossover boxes.

It also had a talented Italian competitor with a sweet, sweet 1.6 dual cam naturally aspirated mill. Ahhh, they don't make it like them anymore
Attached Images

Last edited by arjab : 8th June 2016 at 16:16.
arjab is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:11   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
If GM starts selling an updated version of the Forester for a reasonable price, I will be sure to queue up.
That is the irony. Today, we have a market where cars of each segment are aping to be SUVish.
From the Kwid to S-cross to Creta to GLA, we have cross-overs in each segment.

Sadly, the Forester, who arguably started it all (globally) bombed like anything in India.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:11   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Peugeot needs to make a comeback;

Name:  Peugeot.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  113.2 KB

Having owned the 309 TUD5 Diesel i really know what this French company diesels are capable of
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:13   #264
BHPian

Aah, the Tata Sierra.

I was just a school kid then and I always dreamt of owning this vehicle, sometime when I grow up. Its masculine features such as tail mounted stepney, the large glass window for rear passengers, high sitting position, all appealed profusely. Add to that the Tata’s steamy tagline for the Sierra, “It takes the rough with the smooth”, was like icing on the cake.

Other legendary vehicles of the yesteryears that I miss today and wish to be reborn are, PAL-118NE, Contessa Classic, Rover 2000 and Tempo Trax.
King_pin09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:18   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

Having owned the 309 TUD5 Diesel i really know what this French company diesels are capable of
Rightly said!
The TUD5 was the earlier national engine, before Fiat1.3 came into the scene.
It was plonked into several cars like Accent, Esteem Zen, and later the Premier Rio as well.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 8th June 2016 at 16:19. Reason: Mistakes in Quote
abhishek46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:28   #266
BHPian

Interesting one.

If given a chance, I would like to bring back the Maruti Esteem. Had one in my extended family long back and it was actually a status symbol in late 1990's and early 2000's. Those comfortable seats, no non-sense approach, and the beautiful petrol engine made this a memorable one in the history of our automobile industry.

Thanks.

Picture courtesy: Respective user
Attached Images

Amit_breakfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:29   #267
BHPian

Of all the cars I want to be rejuvenated and would love to own is a powerful version of the Contessa.

What a looker!!!!

Name:  Hindustan_Motors_Contessa_L_1.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  117.6 KB
BeantownThinker is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 16:29   #268
Team-BHP Support

Interesting thread but permit me to say, the exotic cougar that you might have had a crush on, is now an old granny.

If these cars were reborn exactly as they were, they are over the hill in most cases
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 18:42   #269
BHPian

Interesting thread!
Here's my list of cars and a bit of ideas how the respective manfacturers could revive these yesteryear machines.

1) TATA Estate- One of the earliest station wagons to hit the Indian market, it was sold between 1992-2000. The car's success was overall average.
If TATA provides a competent engine and a bit of modernization the Estate with the space it offered and cheaper maintenance could very well give the costlier S Cross and even the sub 4m SUV's a run for their money.

2) Fiat Siena- The sub 4m version to the Fiat Palio the Siena was probably the earliest sub compact sedan in India. Sold since the late 90s the car was finally discontinued somewhere in mid 2000s. TATA's Indigo another sub compact sedan which had a massive success finally caused the Siena to be discontinued.
IMO the current scenario where each and every manufacturer has a minimum of one product in sub 4m version, Fiat could very well reintroduce the Siena and add some weight to its product lineup.

3) Maruti Zen- Clearly a favourite amongst many here the car was once a status symbol for the middle class who wanted to have something more premium than the iconic M800.
Maruti could plonk a 1.4 or better the 1.6 mill and reintroduce it as a lifestyle hatchback!
With it's lightweight and a powerful engine it could very well give the hothatch leaders Abarth Punto and the Polo GT a tough competition.
Attached Thumbnails
Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?-zen.jpg  

Attached Images

Skyline_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 19:27   #270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post

While returning back from work the other day, I happened to notice a very immaculately maintained and polished Ford Mondeo (very rare).
It's timeless design made me look back at it again and again. And I ended up following it for the most part of my ride back home.
Brilliant thread abhishek46 and I hope at least one of the automobile manufacturers notices this

To be honest, I have only had 2 cars from the yesteryears that makes me go weak in my knees. One of which, is what made you gape in awe bro...

Ford Mondeo

Name:  fordmondeo old.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  27.7 KB

This is probably one of the best looking sedans ever on Indian roads, though it was well over a decade ahead of its time.

If only the Ford can re-launch it now, when it looks like this:

Name:  fordmondeo new.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  13.4 KB

And of course, this car converted me from a bike to car lover:

Chevrolet SRV

Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?-dsc_0239-large.jpg

Hands down, the best looking hatch ever in India (IMO).
Vik0728 is offline   Reply With Quote