Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th June 2016, 19:30   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Bringing the dead back, Discontinued models deserving a re-birth!

Besides the Sierra, all other models are internationally still available. In fact the latest Mondeo is such a looker and it will be an excellent competition for the Passat and Camry.

Last edited by ThomasZach : 8th June 2016 at 19:55.
ThomasZach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 19:33   #272
Senior - BHPian

I want the Mondeo, SRV and Contessa to be back - all obviously facelifted.
The contessa has the full potential to be brought back as a muscle/pony car.
blackasta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 20:01   #273
Senior - BHPian

I love this thread and especially those old ad pictures.

I used to lust after a Tata Sierra in the early/ mid '90's but there was no way back then I could have afforded one!

Basis this thread, the cars that I would really love to see re-vamped (where necessary) and re-launched for sure are;

1. Tata Sierra and Tata Estate - the original Indian SUV's/ Family Estate cars - but they should make a comeback with powerful engines and all the modern bells and whistles.
2. Subaru Forester - with all the bells and whistles (this car is absolutely so popular even now in Australia and UK - you see many of them all over the place. Still a Head Turner for me!) - It is really sad that this brilliant car flopped in this stupid market!
3. Ford Mondeo - in the International Spec - poor thing was way ahead of its time - I remember the Ghia badging on the rear 3 quarter window panel...
4. Ford Fusion + with all safety kit as per International Spec - poor thing was indeed ahead of its time in India.
5. Ford Ikon Original 1.6 with all the modern bells and whistles
6. Contessa with a first class powerful engine in it plus all the modern bells and whistles
7. Rover 2000 with a first class powerful engine in it plus all the modern bells and whistles
8. Mitsubishi Lancer Cedia with all the bells and whistles for sure - I rented one some years ago on a trip to Mauritius and had a rare old time blasting it along those curvy hill roads and coastal roads. What a fun car! What handling!
9. A completely revamped version of the Gypsy would also be a great vehicle to have around!
10.The SRV - the early herald of the Hot Hatch revolution...
11. Most certainly the Peugeot GLD 309 - one of the best vehicles ever to be sold here - sadly let down by its parent. Wonderful performance. Top quality suspension. And what an engine!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 8th June 2016 at 20:04.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 10:29   #274
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?

My answer might have been different before, but today, I'd say NONE.

The cars of 2016 are better than they have ever been. We also have a lot of machines for enthusiasts, from the Thar to the Abarth Punto to the Octavia 1.8 TSI.

The rides of yesteryear are way too outdated by the current standards of power, safety, refinement, features & comfort....stuff that we've gotten used to.

The only car I can think of is the W124 Mercedes E220, but even then, I don't lust after a W124 like I used to, after experiencing the newer Germans.

Would love a W126 500 / 560 SEL, although that wasn't ever sold in India, so no point going there.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 13:50   #275
BHPian

Default Re: Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?

The cars from the past

1. Tata Estate - This car had a rear AC Vent and all power windows in early 90's, a 2L Diesel engine and a rock solid body. This was the luxury segment of early 90's.

2. Opel Astra - Amazing drivonomics and style. The car introduced the indian market to Wine Red/Maroon Color and brought in the Black, which was earlier considered a taboo.

3. VolksWagen StationWagen - Simply loved it as it was a part of govt fleet used by my father in 80's, Haven't seen a more comfortable car yet, with Sofa seats. Have not seen many on Indian roads.

4. Premier Padmini - Being the first car at home and the one which helped me learn to drive. Would love to have it in my garage again.
ashishmathur14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2016, 14:38   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The cars of 2016 are better than they have ever been.
Absolutely agree. We do have a range of really good cars to choose from these days.

That said, if there is something I would want to bring back from the past - it is how the cars look.

May be I am showing signs of ageing, but the first generation models of the City VTec, Safari, Zen, Bolero or even cars like the Palio, Mondeo, Lancer, Astra - they had a sort of simplicity and elegance to their designs which I find missing in the later generations. Everything has become taller, bulkier, curvier and some, disproportionate, in the quest of becoming 'Compact' SUVs and sedans.

One of my all-time favourite fantasies is bringing back the Landmaster or the Mark 2 Ambassador from the dead - a thoroughly modern unibody platform underneath with 5 star crash safety, with the latest BS-VI drive-train and latest chassis components, but looking as beautiful as it did 40 - 50 years ago. I would have called it the Mark 5 (duh!). Well, anything is possible in dreams, right?
Viju is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2017, 01:57   #277
Distinguished - BHPian

A nostalgic, yet interesting article by the Hindustan times.

Nokia 3310 is coming back, so why can’t these cars return to Indian roads?

Click to Open

Believe in rebirth? Which old car would you bring back on sale & why?-thesmallbigcar_3e6aa738fcc911e6aa57558006908357.jpg

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote