Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th March 2012, 11:20   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Poll: Anyone believes in re-birth?

Woah "Re-birth" or "Back from Dead(?)" would do just fine for the following cars IMO :

# Chevy SRV - Has been, is and probably will be the Best Hatch on Indian Soil. Wish, GM gets this back.

Name:  SRV.jpg
Views: 2606
Size:  26.1 KB

# Maruti Zen (Old) - As many believe, I agree was probably the best thing ever designed by the Worst Designers in Automobile Industry.

Name:  Zen.jpg
Views: 3161
Size:  22.6 KB

# Ford Mondeo - Slaps my face with a Silly Grin everytime I see this Beauty on the road, even today.

Name:  Mondeo.jpg
Views: 1820
Size:  27.1 KB

I just wish that if not any, atleast these 3 cars get what they lacked but deserved - RE-LAUNCH !!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 13th March 2012 at 11:28.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:35   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
A Premier Padmini or 118NE anyday. Absolutely loved those cars when I was a kid and played NFS 2000 day and night.
I would love to see a Premier Padmini 118NE anyday!! Such a lovely looking car, though you felt almost sitting on the road, it still felt very special!
vinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:37   #18
BHPian

Tata Estate gets no love??

I have added a Poll.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:44   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Could not resist posting. a lil birdie was murmuring: 'Octavia' might replace the 'Laura' tag soon !?! - was not willing to divulge any more detail though.
That is old news mate!! I think your birdie got the news a little late. But looking forward to the new Laura (Octy). The news is that they are changing the name as the Octy sold like hot cake when it was launched. The news is almost confirmed from my source in Skoda Aurangabad.
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:51   #20
BHPian

I would like to the Chevy SRV taking a rebirth. Excellent looking hatch. Give it a good diesel engine and you will have it flying off the shelf.

The Tata Sierra definitely. I have not seen such a flexible car for body modifications.

Also would like to add the Willys Jeep to the list. I think that is the most classic of vehicles that ever came to this world.

Anybody remember the Carbon version of ZEN. 2 door coupe version with a diesel engine would be just great.

Most of you might have forgotten the SAN Storm. Another sports styled car I would like to bring back on the road.

"BIKES" that I would want to bring back Yamaha RX 100/RD 350 and YEZDI.
What is life without them.. Really miss the exhaust notes of these on the road.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:55   #21
BHPian

Well, the Ford Fusion makes a strong case for itself IMO. But perhaps Ford is being smarter in launching the EcoSport instead.

Would love to see RD350's back in action, but with such fantastic mileage, it would take some brave heart to buy it these days
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:58   #22
BHPian

Have always liked the Estate/Station Wagon form factor. So, my vote goes for Tata Estate. They can use the Manza, make a Marina version of it, raise the suspension a bit, put a bull bar in front ... wait a minute. I already have a car like that (Fiat Adventure)
thalavoy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 11:59   #23
BHPian

Chevy SRV all the way.

Probably the hottest hatch ever launched in India.
Hoping against hope that GM launch the Cruze hatchback here.
speed kills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

F10 D engined WagonR with gearshift borrowed from the Swift.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:11   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
Woah "Re-birth" or "Back from Dead(?)" would do just fine for the following cars IMO :

# Chevy SRV - Has been, is and probably will be the Best Hatch on Indian Soil. Wish, GM gets this back.

# Maruti Zen (Old) - As many believe, I agree was probably the best thing ever designed by the Worst Designers in Automobile Industry.

# Ford Mondeo - Slaps my face with a Silly Grin everytime I see this Beauty on the road, even today.

I just wish that if not any, atleast these 3 cars get what they lacked but deserved - RE-LAUNCH !!
Totally agree with you on all 3 there Vik! The hatches in India have become soooo dull, and IMO the only good one out there now is the Polo. The SRV should have been priced better...like you said, a good diesel option would help it along!
The Mondeo is an old fave of mine as well, and I don't really know why they did not sell more in India. They were certainly a better buy than most of the hack sedans out there on the roads today!
vezj420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:24   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalavoy View Post
Have always liked the Estate/Station Wagon form factor. So, my vote goes for Tata Estate. They can use the Manza, make a Marina version of it, raise the suspension a bit, put a bull bar in front ... wait a minute. I already have a car like that (Fiat Adventure)
People always looked at the Fiat Adventure/Weekend as another version of Sienna/Palio, but Tata Estate stood out entirely as a different car and that DOES MAKE a difference. I will love the Tata Estate with a new soul.
DudeWithaFiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:26   #27
BHPian

I would like to see the rebirth of Ford Fusion and Chevy SRV. IMO, these 2 were launched ahead of its time and did not meet the much deserved success. Now that we have a market for these hatches, bringing them back on would not be a bad idea.
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:34   #28
Team-BHP Support

Voted for all my once-favourite cars: Mondeo, Qualis and Tata Sierra. I still remember the original Sierra adverts like it was yesterday. Nice thread!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:50   #29
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Poll: Anyone believes in re-birth?

My wishlist.

1. 1.3 MJD in a Maruti Zen, will be a hot hatch without burning your pockets.
2. Tata Sierra with 2.2L Dicor engine with better interiors and safety kit.
3. Though not on the list, an all new avatar of the good old Ambassador with a modern engine and the usual goodies.
speedmiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th March 2012, 12:56   #30
BHPian

Default Re: Poll: Anyone believes in re-birth?

Do we really need these cars back?

The fact that we think so fondly of them is because we had good times with those rides. However, in the present market, is there any place for these?

The Fords were plagued by (so called) expensive spares, the Chevy had gearbox issues, the Cielo had both. The Esteem wasnt the safest coccoon to be in, at least compared to the Dzire. The Tata Estate had niggling electrical problems.
These rides were good in their times and they have a good recall value.

The Zen was basically a rebadged Alto. However, MSIL has continued with the original 80's alto * M800, then the 90's Alto *Zen, then the 2k Alto now known as Alto and then the 2010 Alto aka A*. Globally, the evolution of the model has shaped up nice.

The RD was good, fast and extremely unsafe! The Indian version came with front drum option and braking was really scary. They go fast and smoke a lot. Good for some weekend fun. However, maintaining it is a pain. The world has moved onto 4 stroke bikes and we have to accept it that 2S is out, unless you want a trail/dirt bike (where the 4S rides are making way as well).

Its just evolution. Times have changed. Its better to remember these nice beauties as they were and not try to resurrect (not everyone makes a Mini Cooper & Fiat 500). The Mini had to be revived since that was the last of the Coopers and Beemer wanted to have a step in the small hatchback segment.
At present, only the Zen might make some sense.However, it would probably cannibalize the Alto K10 market more than doing any other product any harm. A* hardly runs off the shelf.

The Sierra looks good. However, we will need a strong A/C setup for that ride since the rear seats might get stuffy (which it did). And then the mango people will complain about the lack of windows for the rear passengers.

Fusion and SRV badges have the overpriced tag.

Its better to ensure that those that remain are taken care of well; so that, once in a while, when we see one go by, we can look at it and remember the days gone by.
Ah! Those were the Days..... (feels good to say so, Always).

Last edited by aqualeo2040 : 13th March 2012 at 13:00. Reason: typo
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote