Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 22nd March 2012, 18:51   #76
Default Re: Absolute Domination by Maruti

Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
+1. I had been to their showroom a month back for enquiring on k10. They have a car for you at almost every Rs 50k, starting from Alto to k10 to Wagon R to Ritz to.....

Customers would love so much of choice at one place. I started with k10 and went to alto lxi, then to wagon r and next to ritz. All this in one hour.
That's the beauty of Maruti. They have cars from the basic segment to the top segment, so the target audience would be from middle class to the high-tech, top-end-model-seeking class, if I could say. I don't see a major threat to Maruti (apart from Hyundai to some extent) in the next decade too.
HorsPwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:07   #77
Senior - BHPian
Default Re: Absolute Domination by Maruti

Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
But over couple of years premium has changed definition. Maruti has always been a humble down-to-earth brand but then there was a time when people looked at Civic/Camry with awe and admiration. Those cars were premium then. Today even BMW/Merc are not so premium. Even small towns in AP are bursting at seams with BMWs/Audis and no one gives them a second look. We can imagine situation in metros then. Today only Brits ( Jag, Rovers, Bentley, RR, Aston Martin ) seem to hold the proper premium title. So, an Alto guy saying to a Nano guy, " hey, mine is a premium car" is like a 6 footer saying to a 5 footer that he is closer to moon.
We aren't talking about Alto or Nano here, but cars above 10L which relatively fewer people can afford. Maybe the "premium line" should now be re-drawn at 15L because most top-end C-segment cars these days easily cross 10L.

And I think premium-ness of a car depends on what one can afford. I know a guy who bought a BMW because "Everyone has a Mercedes". Well, in his social circle, maybe. But for me, both are premium luxury cars. I don't think BMW/Merc have lost any of their premium-ness (compared to something from JLR). They may have lost a bit of exclusivity (which is also a factor when rich guys buy cars. In lower segments, you need to buy a sales dud to have exclusivity).

But, we are now way
StarrySky is online now   Reply With Quote