Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 19th April 2013, 11:36   #46
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Default Re: Nissan to revive the Datsun brand in India!

Somehow, these brands Lada, Datsun etc sounds so strange to me.

Does it not require great amount of money to create a brand unless it is doomed to fail even before launch ?

GM is unable to sell the chinese cars even with Chevy name and bowtie. and how can i expect a strange name like Datsun to click ?

I am tired of explaining relatives in smaller towns about which company i work for(not many know beyond Infosys and TCS in the software world).

Isnt this similar story ? If i try to explain my car is a Datsun ? This has low cost and cheap written all over the brand.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 11:46   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post

Does it not require great amount of money to create a brand unless it is doomed to fail even before launch ?

GM is unable to sell the chinese cars even with Chevy name and bowtie. and how can i expect a strange name like Datsun to click ?

I am tired of explaining relatives in smaller towns about which company i work for(not many know beyond Infosys and TCS in the software world).

Isnt this similar story ? If i try to explain my car is a Datsun ? This has low cost and cheap written all over the brand.
Datsun is a very well known brand for old timers - just ask someone aged 50+. Actually I came to know about Datsun cars from my father / uncle who had actually driven Datsun cars.
As a brand - Datsun is actually older than Nissan, but as Datsun branded cars ceased to be built after mid 80s, few of our generation have seen one.
blackasta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 11:50   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Datsun is a very well known brand for old timers - just ask someone aged 50+. Actually I came to know about Datsun cars from my father / uncle who had actually driven Datsun cars.
As a brand - Datsun is actually older than Nissan, but as Datsun branded cars ceased to be built after mid 80s, few of our generation have seen one.
I am aware of the brand legacy but as you say there is a generation gap and we have not heard of the name before.

I hope the cars dont look 80s too . Since Nissan is planning to re brand some other cars, hoping to see modern Datsuns. (atleast a decade old designs !!)
Old 19th April 2013, 20:21   #49
Senior - BHPian

So whats different in these cars as compared to what Chevy is now offering as? Bland looks, bland interiors and no desirability. And Chevy isn't selling much so whats the USP that Datsun has to make it do any better? Or is Nissan happy selling what ever numbers since the cost of development/production will be so so cheap, it all adds up to the kitty.

Just trying to make sense based on the models being speculated here.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 19th April 2013 at 20:23.
Old 19th April 2013, 21:16   #50
BHPian

Nissan is actually reviving the brand not just in India but in Indonesia, South Afria and Russia as well. Since they will make entry level cars, as what others said I read they may bring in a car similar to Lada Kalina which I heard is pretty popular in Eastern Europe.

OT: The name Datsun is an acronym of their former partner's surnames:-
  • Kenjiro Den
  • Rokuro Aoyama
  • Meitaro Takeuchi
As for Sun, it's a well known fact that the Japs add a 'Sun' after every word.

The Lada Kalina:-

Cheers!
Rohan
Attached Images

rjalihal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 01:11   #51
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

OT:

Ummm.. Which Chinese car does GM sell? Are you referring to the Sail twins?

The Sail is actually based on the old Opel Corsa platform. I don't see anything really wrong with this, if the objective is to keep the costs down. Ford does it with the Figo! Heck, even the runaway success, the Renault Duster, is actually an old car that's been thoroughly reworked and remodeled, and it's by Dacia. Another low-cost 'budget' brand.

Datsun has the ability to click, if it can generate Duster-like appeal. If not, it will be a dud like the Sail. And you never know, if they get the space-economy-image formula right, they could be in for a slice of the pie.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2013, 07:46   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post

OT:

Ummm.. Which Chinese car does GM sell? Are you referring to the Sail twins?

The Sail is actually based on the old Opel Corsa platform. I don't see anything really wrong with this, if the objective is to keep the costs down. Ford does it with the Figo! Heck, even the runaway success, the Renault Duster, is actually an old car that's been thoroughly reworked and remodeled, and it's by Dacia. Another low-cost 'budget' brand.

Datsun has the ability to click, if it can generate Duster-like appeal. If not, it will be a dud like the Sail. And you never know, if they get the space-economy-image formula right, they could be in for a slice of the pie.
Agree with you. I just gave an example of auto makers not launching latest global models and whatever they call made especially for India looks like an insult to India

May be this will continue till our desi companies offer world class products which are modern and reliable too

Till then its like if we want modern,stylish,reliable, fuel efficient, with low on maintenance we need to buy ten different cars
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 11:57   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

The first model from Datsun for India will be a hatchback that will sit under the Micra and will compete with the likes of Hyundai i10 , Micra size with huge cabin- sub 4 lakh. Global re-launch July 2014, tweets Hormazd.

Cheers!
Old 25th April 2013, 16:25   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

The stage is set

Launch date : 15th July

1st model to be unvieled : 5 hatchback in the < 4 L category (codenamed K2)

Engine : 1.2L 3cyl Petrol (Sadly no diesel)

Other details reveal it will be as spacious as the Micra

Source : http://www.autocarindia.com/News/341...is-july.aspx/2
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2013, 17:36   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
The stage is set

Launch date : 15th July
Its 15th July next year right?
Old 25th April 2013, 17:50   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
This July (2013) it is.

2014 july they have another model planned in 3 Lakh category

Last edited by karan561 : 25th April 2013 at 17:51.
karan561 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 06:05   #57
BHPian

Quote:

+1
I echo similar sentiments.

1. Nissan exactly isn't a premium brand that it needs a less premium brand to sell lower priced vehicles
2. The segment that Datsun is eyeing for has all the big guys of the industry very well entrenched, given this, in my opinion Nissan as a brand has better chances of doing well than a lesser known 'cheaper' brand
3. Setting up a brand costs money and more money to maintain it. It adds to the sales expenses and to sustain these expenses the brand sales need to cross a certain mass. That means in the lower segment that Datasun is targeting Datsun has to sell enough and further Nissan has to sell enough to sustain itself. I for one do not think that Indian car market is large and mature enough to accommodate this yet.
Old 26th April 2013, 08:26   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
This July (2013) it is.

2014 july they have another model planned in 3 Lakh category
15th July is the date set for the global premiere of the Datsun brand, alongwith the unveiling of their first prototype which will hit Indian roads by mid- 2014.

Carlos Ghosn himself will be present for the function.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2013, 08:48   #59
BHPian

No matter how much I appreciate Nissan's efforts to be a serious player in the Indian automotive industry, I just cannot digest the fact that Nissan is going to make such a huge investment in resurrecting a dead brand and position it below brand Nissan in developing markets! Strange.

I'm not aware how long has Nissan been in developing markets other than India, that they've tested them to really find potential for a second brand in the line-up and also justify the costs for doing so? Also, is Nissan really a premium brand to even consider launching a new brand to differentiate itself on the price front? Launching Infiniti makes sense, if you want to sell a Nissan to someone who is in the market for a stealth European luxo-barge, the likes of BMW, Audi or a Merc; but launching Datsun to sell a Nissan to someone who is in the market for a reliable and efficient Japanese tin-box, is confusing. Isn't that what Nissan is for?

There are markets where Hyundai is present along with Kia, but then there is a clear intention of positioning Hyundai as an upmarket luxury brand aimed at the rich and famous, with Kia taking care of the lower segment. Hyundai has always made those intentions very clear and has worked towards it. In India, Hyundai isn't really the same as in those markets, though it did taste success with its Sonata line of cars. Hyundai understands this and maybe that's why they aren't bringing in the Kia brand and are fighting Suzuki with Hyundai. Eon could have very well been called the Kia Eon, but it went ahead as a Hyundai Eon as Indians relate to Hyundai more strongly.

I could only wish for Nissan's adventure to be a success, if it doesn't end up confusing the customer, that is.

Last edited by SankalpDesai : 26th April 2013 at 08:59.
Old 26th April 2013, 09:16   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai View Post
No matter how much I appreciate Nissan's efforts to be a serious player in the Indian automotive industry, I just cannot digest the fact that Nissan is going to make such a huge investment in resurrecting a dead brand and position it below brand Nissan in developing markets! Strange.

I'm not aware how long has Nissan been in developing markets other than India, that they've tested them to really find potential for a second brand in the line-up and also justify the costs for doing so? Also, is Nissan really a premium brand to even consider launching a new brand to differentiate itself on the price front? Launching Infiniti makes sense, if you want to sell a Nissan to someone who is in the market for a stealth European luxo-barge, the likes of BMW, Audi or a Merc; but launching Datsun to sell a Nissan to someone who is in the market for a reliable and efficient Japanese tin-box, is confusing. Isn't that what Nissan is for?
I actually can identify with what Nissan is trying to do with the Datsun brand. They have tried this (a budget brand below Nissan) in developed markets with the Dacia brand, and have found reasonable success. Maybe they are trying to repeat a similar feat with the Datsun brand (in developing markets). And in markets like India, itís not difficult for a brand to catch up if it can cater to the so-called VFM aspirations. Renualt-Nissan have a fine example in the Duster.

Now my worry is on the amount of cost cutting they will have to do derive something more cheaper than the Dacia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SankalpDesai
There are markets where Hyundai is present along with Kia, but then there is a clear intention of positioning Hyundai as an upmarket luxury brand aimed at the rich and famous, with Kia taking care of the lower segment. Hyundai has always made those intentions very clear and has worked towards it. In India, Hyundai isn't really the same as in those markets, though it did taste success with its Sonata line of cars. Hyundai understands this and maybe that's why they aren't bringing in the Kia brand and fighting Suzuki with Hyundai. Eon could have very well been called the Kia Eon, but it went ahead as a Hyundai Eon as Indians relate to Hyundai more strongly.
Actually, over the years brand KIA has developed much faster than the Hyundai brand, and itís no longer an inferior brand to its sister.
Closed Thread