Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:01   #1
BHPian
 
soumobakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 275
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Renault Scala

Mod Note : Team-BHP's Renault Scala Review has been uploaded at this link (Renault Scala : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

As per information available in Public domain, Renault is planning to do a Skoda Rapid with Nissan Sunny. The model to be named is Renault Scala. Folks in Egypt would be familiar.
Based on Renault Samsung SM3 model ( Nissan Sunny in Middle East and India) and Scala in Egypt. (Renault Samsung SM3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

This will sport a re-designed bumper, grille and wheels while the rest of the car will remain largely the same as the Sunny. On the inside, the only prominent change would be the Renault badge on the steering wheel. Mechanically both the Sunny and Scala will use the same powertrain. However Renault wants to offer this at a slight premium over Sunny aka Reanult Pule and Nissan Micra.

Expected Launch in October 2012, and if images from UK Renault site is anything to go by it looks to be a winner. (Renault.com - Renault Scala)



Please contribute if you have any further news on this development.

MODS please merge if duplicate thread exists.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Renault_Scala.pdf (777.6 KB, 3011 views)

Last edited by GTO : 1st September 2012 at 20:22. Reason: Adding link to review
soumobakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:20   #2
BHPian
 
man_and_machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 428
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Isn't the car from the picture too big to be made available in the same cost bracket as the sunny i.e. 7 - 8.5 L range? I would think this is +1 seg higher, may be in the verna, vento segment.
man_and_machine is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:28   #3
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,423 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Expected Launch in October 2012, and if images from UK Renault site is anything to go by it looks to be a winner.
The car in the link is NOT surely going to come to India. Scala will look at-least 90% similar to Sunny with the difference only in front bumper & grills! Nothing more. As you mentioned the mechanicals will remain same too and there will be a slight premium over Nissan.

Renault hopes like Sunny, Scala will change their fortunes. Unless they ramp up their dealerships & A$$; I don't know how!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 22nd March 2012 at 18:30.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:34   #4
BHPian
 
lobojames9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 84
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

I saw a car testing today in Bangalore. I could not get close enough due to traffic. Similar sized car. Back was covered but the tail light assembly seemed very similar. I was wishing I could get close enough to take a picture.
lobojames9 is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:42   #5
BHPian
 
soumobakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 275
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
I saw a car testing today in Bangalore. I could not get close enough due to traffic. Similar sized car. Back was covered but the tail light assembly seemed very similar. I was wishing I could get close enough to take a picture.

Wow! Thats good news. Can you also mention where in Bangy ? Wondering why will they Test the vehicle in Bangy when there factory is in TN?

If you are stating that the Rear lights appeared similar then chances are the vehicle in brochure is the one coming to India.
soumobakshi is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:47   #6
BHPian
 
lobojames9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 84
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
Wow! Thats good news. Can you also mention where in Bangy ? Wondering why will they Test the vehicle in Bangy when there factory is in TN?

If you are stating that the Rear lights appeared similar then chances are the vehicle in brochure is the one coming to India.
I must say I am speculating and I do not want people to be excited because of what i said. Although, yes, the tail light assembly did look similar. I saw it on Residency Road around 4 p.m. Even I found it weird that a test-covered car was driving around in so much traffic.

Last edited by lobojames9 : 22nd March 2012 at 18:55.
lobojames9 is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:53   #7
BHPian
 
soumobakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 275
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Only reason that i can think why near Residency Road could be the fact that Nissan has a presence on MG Road ( Opp to Cubbon Park Police Station). And vehicle required some attention...

@ Sr TBHPians any news that you have on this development ?

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd March 2012 at 18:55.
soumobakshi is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:55   #8
BHPian
 
Sathya_sc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 531
Thanked: 642 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
I must say I am speculating and I do not want people to be excited because of what i said. Although, yes, the tail light assembly did look similar. I saw it on Residency Road around 4 p.m. Even I found it weird that a car test- covered car was driving around in so much traffic.
That must have been Sail Sedan since the tail lamp cluster looks quite similar to what is there in this Scala picture (pdf).
Sathya_sc is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 18:58   #9
BHPian
 
lobojames9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 84
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathya_sc View Post
That must have been Sail Sedan since the tail lamp cluster looks quite similar to what is there in this Scala picture (pdf).
I might have. As they say eye witness accounts are usually deceiving. Best wait for the proper launch of the car.
lobojames9 is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:17   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,849 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
As per information available in Public domain, Renault is planning to do a Skoda Rapid with Nissan Sunny. The model to be named is Renault Scala. Folks in Egypt would be familiar.
Based on Renault Samsung SM3 model ( Nissan Sunny in Middle East and India) and Scala in Egypt. (Renault Samsung SM3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

This will sport a re-designed bumper, grille and wheels while the rest of the car will remain largely the same as the Sunny. On the inside, the only prominent change would be the Renault badge on the steering wheel. Mechanically both the Sunny and Scala will use the same powertrain. However Renault wants to offer this at a slight premium over Sunny aka Reanult Pule and Nissan Micra.
Expected Launch in October 2012
What is the source of this information?

Why should Renault bring a Samsung SM3 based car, when they already have the Fluence in our market. Fluence and SM3 are almost like Micra and Pulse. And what is the source to mention that the current Sunny in India is based on the SM3?

Sorry to say, this is quite a distorted piece of news.
vb-san is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:21   #11
BHPian
 
lobojames9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 84
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
What is the source of this information?

Why should Renault bring a Samsung SM3 based car, when they already have the Fluence in our market. Fluence and SM3 are almost like Micra and Pulse. And what is the source to mention that the current Sunny in India is based on the SM3?

Sorry to say, this is quite a distorted piece of news.
I think it is based on a scoop by AutoCar India.
The link: Renault-badged Sunny named Scala - News - Autocar India
lobojames9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:25   #12
BHPian
 
gauravdgr8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: CG/CH
Posts: 477
Thanked: 372 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

As and when this is launched, it will meet the same fate as that of Pulse. It seems that the Renault team did not learn from it's pulse experience. Sales will not be anywhere close to Nissan as Nissan commands a better value due to the Japanese branding.
gauravdgr8 is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:27   #13
BHPian
 
soumobakshi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 275
Thanked: 450 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

@ vb-san: You are right Fluence is based on SM3 platform and the Sunny is based on SM3 CE platform. Let the pictures in attached file do the talking

As mentioned in my initial post, source is public domain Nissan Sunny Rebadged Renault Scala | MotorBeam - Indian Car Bike News & Reviews

Renault Symbol Link http://www.renault.com/en/vehicules/...ol-thalia.aspx
Attached Images
 
Attached Files
File Type: docx Renault Scala or Symbol.docx (948.1 KB, 594 views)

Last edited by soumobakshi : 22nd March 2012 at 19:30.
soumobakshi is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:49   #14
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,849 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojames9 View Post
I think it is based on a scoop by AutoCar India.
The link: Renault-badged Sunny named Scala - News - Autocar India
Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
@ vb-san: You are right Fluence is based on SM3 platform and the Sunny is based on SM3 CE platform. Let the pictures in attached file do the talking
As mentioned in my initial post, source is public domain Nissan Sunny Rebadged
Thanks. That link from Motorbeam makes sense – they have added it based on the ACI report (shared by lobojames9 above). Sunny rebadged as Scala – quite a possibility, considering how they have derived the Pulse. But it still does not give any indication on what you mentioned in the OP.

And AFIAK, the Symbol is a different car from the Sunny. The Sunny in India now is sold in SE Asian markets as the new Nissan Almera.
vb-san is offline  
Old 22nd March 2012, 19:59   #15
BHPian
 
HuseinZS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 35
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Renault Scala

Quote:
Originally Posted by soumobakshi View Post
As per information available in Public domain, Renault is planning to do a Skoda Rapid with Nissan Sunny. The model to be named is Renault Scala. Folks in Egypt would be familiar.
The Scala here is derived from the Nissan Sunny currently available in the GCC. Here is the link to Nissan Saudi Arabia Sunny KSA

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd March 2012 at 20:43. Reason: Please avoid quoting of Full long post specially when its on same page, thanks
HuseinZS is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Renault Scala : Official Review noopster Official New Car Reviews 147 17th November 2016 22:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks