Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which Is The Best All Rounder Car For India? A Jack Of All Trades?
MUVs Like Innova/Xylo/Aria/Ertiga 88 22.17%
Any Small Car In General, But Ideally, A Maruti! 49 12.34%
Segment Busters Like Yeti, Fusion, Jazz etc 95 23.93%
Fast, Luxurious, Not Too Big But Comfortable Sedan 80 20.15%
A Diesel 4x4 SUV. 65 16.37%
Others 20 5.04%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2012, 17:22   #16
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your Nomination For Best All Rounder Car In India

Voted for the 3rd option. I will go with the Yeti, or a similar crossover (not sure if its right to tag Jazz in there).
Old 24th March 2012, 17:23   #17
Team-BHP Support

Just added a poll based on the initial set of responses.

My original thoughts behind owning a car that is Jack Of All Trades and Master Of None, a car that does 90% of what the best small car or sedan or SUV can do is this -

- When I was a bachelor, I used to load up my Optra with friends and go exploring - to the deserts of Rajasthan, Mountains of Himachal Pradesh, Waterfalls of Chattisgarh and so on. Looking at the petrol bills and missed opportunities (couldn't go to many places because of lack of 4x4), I wished I had bought a diesel 4x4 SUV instead.

- When I had to visit a few relatives in residential areas with roads wide enough for a rickshaw or when I couldn't park wherever I wanted, I was thankful I didn't have a large SUV! I actually wished for a small car during those times.

- After the baby came, I wished I had a car with boot space bigger what my Civic offers! Man, those tiny critters need lot of stuff.

- When we as a family go out together occasionally, and we need to take out two cars, I wish we had a 7 seater!

- But finally, I feel I made the right choice by buying the Civic when its time to hit the highways!
SmartCat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 18:59   #18
dot
Senior - BHPian

Let me make a quick, smart-alec prediction. We will see nominations/mentions of each car in every segment soon on this thread!!

In my opinion, the best all rounder car is Ford Fiesta (Classic), either petrol or diesel.

It can pretty much go on any road, as long as there is some road. It has proven that it is low maintenance and cost of ownership is also low. Finally it is decently refined and pretty comfortable.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2012, 19:07   #19
BANNED

I ll put my money on Innova. Its a true all rounder for an Indian Family. Traveled many times with family and friends on occasions and its really worth it.
Old 24th March 2012, 19:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

I voted for a sedan, in our conditions where not everyone has access to more than one car, it makes sense to have a boot for long journey/airport run and roads are improving for sedans to tread more places than before.

Small crossover like Ecosport and likes will enjoy a great innings in Indian context, IMHO.
Old 24th March 2012, 21:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Innova for sure! The practicality of a diesel, space for seating 6 in comfort, adequate performance and efficiency, peace of mind with Toyota's reliability, fitting varied geometry in the boot (with the last row folded of course). I love this car! But the size is an issue while hunting for a parking space or wadding through narrow streets, but still its a small trade off compared to the huge amounts of positives the car comes loaded with. I love the Innova!
Old 24th March 2012, 23:56   #22
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to be a spoilsport but I actually don't understand what do we mean by All Rounder Car in India or does it really make sense to have a poll like this?

A car as i understand has different utilily for different folks and is a factor of many different variables. If it would have been so easy to have a all-rounder then all the manufacturers would have been laughing their way to the banks.

Frankly i cannot really pick an all rounder as i don't understand what parameters should be considered.
amitwlele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2012, 00:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Sorry to be a spoilsport but I actually don't understand what do we mean by All Rounder Car in India or does it really make sense to have a poll like this?

Frankly i cannot really pick an all rounder as i don't understand what parameters should be considered.
In cricket, we have -

- Bowling
- Batting
- Wicket Keeping
- Fielding
- Captaining the team

If there is a player who is good at batting & bowling, then you would call him an All Rounder. But if he can field well, can double up has a wicket keeper when needed and also has experience captaining his state team, then it would be a bonus!

In the world of cars, we have -

- Small cars (compact, reasonably priced, low running costs etc)
- MPVs (7 seaters, practicality, high ground clearance for rough roads etc)
- SUVs (Offroadability, 7 seats, space etc)
- Sedans (Good Ride & handling, highway manners, boot space etc)

If there is a car that has many of the characteristics mentioned (but not limited to) in the brackets above , then I would call it an All Rounder.

And there is no right or wrong answer as such. You can even pick a SX4 diesel as an allrounder if you believe it has low running costs, manages to handle our pot hole infested highways without scraping, has enough space for 5 well-built people and has good highway manners. It's just an opinion.

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th March 2012 at 00:59.
Old 25th March 2012, 13:11   #24
Senior - BHPian

If one consider 'Jack of All Trades but Master of None' then almost all the cars fit in that criteria as Indian Market is highly regulated by the Excise Duty slabs. 4 metre, 1500 cc make any car either underpowered, less spacious, overpriced, oversized. So all in all, its a tough balancing act for manufacturers as well as customers.
PS: Isn't the logic of pre-owned DIESEL Yeti is flawed as we expect Diesels to have better resale value, horrible A S S of Skoda, expensive maintenance. So if the sale is already low, the owner is informed buyer, why will he sell or why will he sell cheap if at all, so its very tough to find a pre-owned Yeti (D) for a reasonable price for atleast 2 years IMO.
So the end result is that the search for best all-rounder is easier on paper but as good as finding a pearl in the ocean.
Old 25th March 2012, 16:42   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post

A car as i understand has different utilily for different folks and is a factor of many different variables. If it would have been so easy to have a all-rounder then all the manufacturers would have been laughing their way to the banks.

. IMO there is nothing like an all-rounder. Everyone has different preferences and it is almost next to impossible for one car to satisfy each persons whims and fancies. Performance, economy, comfort, handling, steering feedback, looks, VFM and the list goes on for selection criteria of a car by a prospective buyer. Each car has its own strong points together with its weak points. One cannot say that the car A is better than B is it ticks all the boxes for you. Someone else may think otherwise. I have a Ritz, it is a petrol car, decent performance, decent f.e, decent space, have taken it where there was no tarmac (off-roading if you will) but in no ways can I call it an all-rounder can I?? Or for that matter I can't say that any small car but it has to be a Maruti is best suited for the entire Indian population.

You definitely can't have a poll where you have mentioned an entire segment like MUVs/Suvs and any car but should be a Maruti. It is a very lame and a vague choice of options and in IMO the thread does not make sense.

Last edited by S2!!! : 25th March 2012 at 16:48.
Old 25th March 2012, 17:21   #26
BHPian

Although the answer is quite subjective and would depend on the price range etc, but ask me and I would pick the Jazz. Its a car that has amazed since I first took a test ride for a colleague. For sure you can ask for much more but I feel its one brilliant car to have in your stable.

Jazz for its:
- great design
- massive glass area that makes it refreshingly airy from inside
- 1.2L Vtech is a nice smoothy (wish it was 1.5L though)
- Finesse of a Honda
- practical boot space with all the permutation combinations of the magic seat
- A never get bored interior

My vote for the segment buster - Honda Jazz
Old 25th March 2012, 18:13   #27
BHPian

My vote has gone for the Innova which I am hopelessly in love with. The only thing that I might consider against it is the space needed to park it especially in big cities where parking space is a luxury.

If I were to consider a smaller car I think I would go with the Ritz diesel. I have driven a friend's petrol car and was definitely impressed with the space, mileage and comfort besides it being a friendly neighborhood Maruti. Hence a diesel will make it even more economical and desirable. Wish they could do something about the rear design.
Old 25th March 2012, 20:05   #28
BHPian

Hi,

This is what I have to say.

1. Maruti Ritz as a hatchback for:
- Well rounded ability
- Value for money, decent F.E.
- Good engine, Easy Ingress / Egress, Usable / additional makeshift boot space, comfort
- Compact from outside, quite spacious inside

2. Honda City as a sedan for:
- Well rounded ability
- Good F.E., attractively revised prices
- Space, comfort and reliability
- Proven car into its 4th generation in India

3. Toyota Innova as an MUV for:
- Redefining family travel
- Not very expensive
- Space, comfort and reliability
- A proven Toyota over the years

Thanks,
C_
Old 25th March 2012, 20:16   #29
BHPian

i voted for a Diesel 4x4, because for the obvious reasons of Price difference between petrol and diesel, plus the pathetic conditions of the roads that our Incredible India has to offer. You never know when you need a 4x4. Indians love to travel and we travel big - with families (and extended ones too) and loads of luggages, which only an SUV can provide and still be able to climb that incline to the home stay.
Old 25th March 2012, 20:21   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
. IMO there is nothing like an all-rounder. Everyone has different preferences and it is almost next to impossible for one car to satisfy each persons whims and fancies.
One car need not satisfy everybody's whims & fancies. We are not trying to come to a consensus here. The question is - is there one car that satisfies your past, present and future (say 5 years or more) requirements? What I'm trying to say is - Yeti is the perfect car for me (and for me alone, not everybody else) in that sense.

Quote:

You definitely can't have a poll where you have mentioned an entire segment like MUVs/Suvs and any car but should be a Maruti.
Agreed. But it is impractical to list out 100 different car models in the poll. You are supposed to select your nomination class (whether its an SUV or MUV or whatever) and then mention the model name in the thread. Like many have done for Toyota Innova.

I too feel that Toyota Innova is a good allrounder and suits most of my requirements as such.

- High ground clearance for rough roads
- Occasional use of 7 seats
- Humongous boot space if the last row of seats are folded down.
- Low running costs.
- Decent ride & handling mix
- 4.55 metres in length, same as my Civic.

Another Jack Of All Trades is a BMW X1 - since it is BMW 3 series on stilts. I can see its merits (I can buy a full size spare wheel and put it in the boot), but I'm trying hard to like its looks! I see a X1 almost everyday since my neighbor has one, and its looks are beginning to grow on me - albeit very slowly though.

Last edited by SmartCat : 25th March 2012 at 20:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks