Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

View Poll Results: Which Is The Best All Rounder Car For India? A Jack Of All Trades?
MUVs Like Innova/Xylo/Aria/Ertiga 88 22.17%
Any Small Car In General, But Ideally, A Maruti! 49 12.34%
Segment Busters Like Yeti, Fusion, Jazz etc 95 23.93%
Fast, Luxurious, Not Too Big But Comfortable Sedan 80 20.15%
A Diesel 4x4 SUV. 65 16.37%
Others 20 5.04%
Voters: 397. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29th March 2012, 18:40   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Your Nomination For Best All Rounder Car In India

It is absolutely a Hatchback with good power, space and refinement! I have a Swift but looking at it objectively, it has got to be the Honda Jazz!

- Space
- Looks
- Honda Engine (refinement)
- Effieciency
- Handling
urajkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 19:26   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

The poll just tells us that there is no one ideal car. It depends from person to person and would vary depending upon the need, parking facility, vitamin M and many other things. I think this is the first poll I have seen with such equally divided opinions.
drmohitg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 22:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The poll just tells us that there is no one ideal car. It depends from person to person and would vary depending upon the need, parking facility, vitamin M and many other things. I think this is the first poll I have seen with such equally divided opinions.
Also keep in mind the requirement in Citys and Metros are different from the requirements in Rural areas. In my village, Mahindra Bolero/Tata Sumo is the ideal vehicle, but they are not the best for highway cruising. So a combination of both will be the ideal solution for me. A Xover with small wheel base, high ground clearance.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 23:45   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
What according to you is the best car for the Indian driving conditions?
My vote goes for a pre-owned Skoda Yeti 4x4 Elegance:

Basically, with a Yeti, we get a small car that has the ride & handling of a sedan and practicality of a SUV. It would have been 100% perfect allrounder if -

- Yeti was made by Honda or a Toyota
- Had 7 seats like the Ertiga, with last 2 being foldable of course
- Had Automatic transmission.

What's your nomination for the best allrounder car?

Exactly ....This is one of the few silly thoughts crosses my mind when i see an Yeti in front or in the rear view mirror . I would love to have one and that is enough for everything:

I have my reasons:

-Size of Yeti never create any problem anywhere.

-Damn good interiors and slightly bigger than sedans (in terms of stance and Convenience).

-Mild off-roading capabilities. I still cant find a reason to justify somebody is driving a fortuner or a safari inside city limits,especially a cities like bangalore (95% of the time) and rest of the time through nicely paved NH to kerala or chennai .Once in a life time take them to a hill top just to make sure it remembers the SUV & 4*4 tags they carry!!

-Occasional trips to any hill station or a long 1k+ trip with enough luggage space and maximum 4 guys.(thats the maximum i have done..there might be guys go for a long (3-4 days) vacation with 6-7 guys .,but i think thats a rare occurance considering the luggage they will have to carry.Most of the times a group more than 4 (not less than 6) would opt for two vehicles(families are conveniently neglected as i belong to the migrant community stays in Bangalore and family in home town).

_Mileage & diesel adv.

- better handling of roads other than NH's. I come from kerala and know what does a bad road stands for!!

I vote for Yeti ..But the price and Skoda tag....what to do
born2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 01:05   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2drive View Post
But the price and Skoda tag....what to do
According to ACI magazine, Skoda has slashed Rs. 1.4 Lacs off the price tag of 4x4 Yeti in Elegance trim. And there's Rs. 1 Lac discount on the 4x2 Yeti. That should put more Yetis on the road!
smartcat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 01:54   #66
BHPian

If it's an all rounder, It should be the yeti. It has done well in the international market. Big on space, Big on safety, big on everything for that matter if you talk about an all round vehicle. Go for shopping, go for camping, go for off roading, house shifting etc, Yeti will do it all. Hence an all rounder for sure. And yeah, not to forget the ease of parking.
kingofmyworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 06:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

The effective price of the Yeti on road BLR with these discounts is almost exactly what one would pay for a similar spec in the UK.
The difference is that there one can use the car configurator and build in all the fiddlies one wants, at a price. If, for example they would allow the same facility here, there could be more takers for this most excellent vehicle.
I'd have liked one in the Elegance 4x4 SE trim and maybe with the DSG!

This said, the latest ACI also talks about the Ford Kuga slated to come to India on the heels of the Eco Sport. They also mention a 7 seater Yeti which is "being worked on", which might be the "Snowman".
All this is good news for the small SUV buyer in India.

Perhaps this is the time for Ford to come back with its Fusion at a digestible price - it will find favour with our public!

Given our roads and overall conditions, these are absolutely the ideal vehicles for us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
According to ACI magazine, Skoda has slashed Rs. 1.4 Lacs off the price tag of 4x4 Yeti in Elegance trim. And there's Rs. 1 Lac discount on the 4x2 Yeti. That should put more Yetis on the road!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 08:25   #68
BHPian

For me its the Hyundai Verna CRDI. Its luxurious, comfortable, powerful, VERY fuel efficient diesel, and has an AC to beat the harshest Indian summer.

In the small car segment, I still swear by my 2006 Zen VXi. It's a pocket rocket!
newcoolgadgets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 08:49   #69
Senior - BHPian

All-rounder as in Performance, FE, service and pride of ownership: that was a Scorpio in India, until a few months back. The Bolero still is, in the countryside.
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 10:53   #70
BHPian

As this thread is about all-rounder my vote goes to pre-worshipped YETI.

+ves
- Its small so driving in City & parking is easy.
- You can drive it like a sedan on highway at highspeeds.
- Lot of after market performance mods.
- Off-roading, though not extreme.
- Has lot of safety features

-ves
- Have to get services done by a private skoda mechanic due to horrible skoda service.
- Front shape is good, back is OK but sides look bad they need a redesign.
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 14:07   #71
BHPian

Would rather put it this way: The only segment that can offer you most advantages of a sedan, and at the same time help avoid the pitfalls of owning an SUV, is the compact SUV segment. To me, this is an inarguable fact taking into consideration most of the factors related to owning and driving a vehicle in India. Every other segment is a compromise one way or the other.

Once this got established, the choice was quite clear since there aren't many options in the first place as of today: it has to be the Skoda Yeti. But considering the price, a pre owned one makes a lot of sense since it is percieved as a market dud, besides being Skoda. A less than 10K KM used Yeti 4X4 should be available for under 9 lakhs in North India IMO, although if someone can share a first hand experience on the same that would be helpful.

So yes Smartcat, agree 100% with your choice, and I'm secretly wishing inside that not many people agree with our analysis or it will become difficult to lay hands on one, when the time arrives
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 14:17   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

How does the Yeti become the best all rounder car in our market? I see most people echoing that thought in there posts but I have a question. Shouldn't the price of a car be also considered before calling it an all rounder? Because if not then the X1, Evoque and many other cars also become an all rounder.

It is rather strange to me that the best all rounder yeti needs to fulfill these criterions:
1. Has to be used.
2. Has to be serviced outside to beat the exorbitant Skoda after sales costs.

Both these points have been mentioned by most members while voting for Yeti but then it beats the whole purpose. Any car to be called the best all rounder car should be considered only with its OTR price tag and not the prices in the used car market IMHO. Again it should be easy to get serviced so that one would not shy away from taking it to remote corners of the country without the fear of a breakdown.

Last edited by drmohitg : 30th March 2012 at 14:19. Reason: Text added.
drmohitg is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 14:21   #73
BHPian

As much as I may be panned for this , I'll go for the original Maruti Swift Dzire Vdi/Zdi (assuming that looks is not the main criteria for this comparo)

Why ?

1. Maruti A**
2. Small Turning Radius - great for the city
3. Comfortable,soft rear seat squabs and plush ride
4. Great FE
5. Cheap spares
6. Reasonably FTD for the segment
7. Great resale
8. Low initial Capex
9. Humongous boot
10. Decent interiors with good features (ACC etc)
11. Very Reliable

Fulfils the average Indian buyer's requirements to a T !
JishD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 14:27   #74
BHPian

We are forgetting which car is the best selling car in the world - the toyota altis
vivekrvcse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 14:30   #75
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for 'Segment Busters Like Yeti, Fusion, Jazz etc"
Cars like Yeti and Forester (Fusion to a certain degree) can do whatever a sedan can (comfort, ease of handling, dynamics) but can do something more like taking on bad roads and carrying more luggage (by folding the rear seats)
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote