Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 30th April 2014, 11:34   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict
It is an auto enthusiasts worst nightmare with that over zealuous RTO commissioner and no politician with courage to do anything in the UDF.
I am guessing you are referring to Mr.Rishiraj Singh IPS ? If so, IMO he is one of the best things to have happened to Kerala - he is not corrupt, does his job and has ensured that quite a lot of things wrong with Kerala traffic have been corrected - DUI, no-helmets, high accident-rate, speeding tipper-trucks killing people, speed-governors on private-buses that go on a rampage every day etc. Why do you think he is a nighmare ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict
You get fined for alloys, different color of car from what is on the book, auxilliary lights etc....
Technically all the above are illegal if you go by the rule-book - so do we have scope for complaining about their enforcement ? While fixing alloys can be seen as a minor issue, having different color of paint, but not recording it in RC book is a major issue for reasons known. And coming to auxillary lights, in a country where folks drive in Hi-beam mode all the time (for either lack of knowledge or because they just don't care), I shudder to think of the harm an oncoming motorist will face with after-market lights of more than allowed intensity etc.

BTW, we are OT here.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:04   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Putting down the current tax rates here for the benefit of everyone (easier than trawling the MVD website) - old rates in brackets :

For cars costing upto price Rs.5 Lakhs -: 7% (6%)
For cars costing between 5L to 10 L ---: 10% (8%)
For cars costing between 10L to 15L --: 12% (10%)
For cars costing above 15 L -----------: 17% (15%)

For bikes costing upto 1 lakh : 7%
Bikes costing above 1 lakh : 10%

P.S.; Don't know previous rates for bikes.
supremeBaleno is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 18:16   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Technically all the above are illegal if you go by the rule-book - so do we have scope for complaining about their enforcement ? While fixing alloys can be seen as a minor issue, having different color of paint, but not recording it in RC book is a major issue for reasons known.
What is the reason cited for fining cars with alloys?
Old 23rd May 2014, 15:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

RTO folks in Kerala are collecting road tax for every 5 years from now on along with the registration renewal for vehicles older than 15 years. We have to pay the tax till the expiry of next registration renewal.

Had to pay a tax of 1.3k for my dad's 30-year old bike and ~10k for my uncle's 15-year old Zen earlier this month. My Zen will need the 20-year renewal by end of next year and I hope the hike in road tax rates don't go up for 15+ year vehicles too. 5 year road tax could soon get close to the resale value of the vehicle.

Does anyone on the forum have a lifetime tax paid Kerala registration car/bike that has completed or is about to complete 15 years? Just wanted to see if this change is only for the non-LTT vehicles or for all vehicles.
Old 23rd May 2014, 22:46   #35
BHPian

In KL the percentage rate of road tax had been enhanced from 1st April 2014, but surprisingly the actual amount of tax to be paid has reduced .
Old 24th May 2014, 06:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilagdr View Post
In KL the percentage rate of road tax had been enhanced from 1st April 2014, but surprisingly the actual amount of tax to be paid has reduced .
Can you please elaborate? Are you sure it was not a human error if the tax amount was lesser?
Old 24th May 2014, 07:16   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
RTO folks in Kerala are collecting road tax for every 5 years from now on along with the registration renewal for vehicles older than 15 years. We have to pay the tax till the expiry of next registration renewal.
Wasn't that the case even now? Renewal of registration every 5 years by obtaining the certificate of fitness for vehicles older than 15 years?

Or was road tax collected annually upon registration renewal?
Old 24th May 2014, 07:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Wasn't that the case even now? Renewal of registration every 5 years by obtaining the certificate of fitness for vehicles older than 15 years?

Or was road tax collected annually upon registration renewal?
Road tax used to be for every 2 years till now.

Registration renewal process/timelines have not changed, They just increased the tax window from 2 to 5 years. In case the 5 years doesn't coincide with the registration renewal, pro-rated tax for 6 years is collected to make it coincide with next registration renewal.

Last edited by zenren : 24th May 2014 at 07:47.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2014, 08:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Can you please elaborate? Are you sure it was not a human error if the tax amount was lesser?
Not an error, AFAIK this happens because of the way tax is calculated. For the purpose of road tax calculation I think earlier the cost of the car included VAT and now VAT is excluded. I am sure of the reduction as both the dealers with whom I have booked my City have informed me of a reduction in the roadtax so much so that OTR cost of the car has reduced despite the last price escalation by Honda.
anilagdr is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread