Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2012, 09:30   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 862 Times
Default Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Come April 1st new buyers will have to pay more for cars with a new slab system in place in Kerala.

For cars upto price Rs.5 Lakhs road tax is 6%
5L to 10 L - 8%
10L to 15L - 10%
above 15 L - 15%

Also putting a Times of India link which elaborates on the subject -
Cars to get expensive - Times Of India

(Mods - I am not sure if this is to be posted elsewhere - I did search. Please shift if required)
wilful is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 10:31   #2
BHPian
 
FasterPhene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: BANGALORE
Posts: 28
Thanked: 5 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Looks like Kerala decided to take a leaf out of Karnataka's road taxation rules. Still the tax rates in Kerala are way better than the Karnataka road tax rates. Reminds me; when they recently announced a proposal for a uniform road tax PAN India, I hope they were not suggesting to copy the Karnataka model.
FasterPhene is offline  
Old 26th March 2012, 11:56   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

I think this is going to be good for some cars and bad for some others in the same segment because, if I'm not mistaken, the current tax system is based on engine CC. Cars above 1500cc pay 8% and cars below that pay 6%.

So, for eg: currently the Chevy Cruze owner has to pay higher road tax than an Altis diesel owner, although both cars cost about the same. Now, both cars have the same tax rate. So it's going to affect the OTR of Altis diesel more than the Cruze. Same holds in the C-segment as well where the Vento and the Linea owners paid 8% and 6% tax respectively for their new cars. Of course, the Linea has no variant costing >10L - so it doesn't matter much for Linea. But, the Vento will now be even more expensive when compared to the Linea.

Looks like the govt has decided to pinch all car owners because a few are refusing to pay toll for newly built 4-lane roads.

Last edited by StarrySky : 26th March 2012 at 11:58.
StarrySky is offline  
Old 26th March 2012, 15:07   #4
BHPian
 
Thilak29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL 14 / KA 05
Posts: 384
Thanked: 345 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Come April 1st new buyers will have to pay more for cars with a new slab system in place in Kerala.

For cars upto price Rs.5 Lakhs road tax is 6%
5L to 10 L - 8%
10L to 15L - 10%
above 15 L - 15%

Also putting a Times of India link which elaborates on the subject -
Cars to get expensive - Times Of India

(Mods - I am not sure if this is to be posted elsewhere - I did search. Please shift if required)
What was the previous taxation slabs?
Thilak29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 15:56   #5
BHPian
 
vinodv001's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 86
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
What was the previous taxation slabs?
If my memory is correct, it is based on Engine capacity.
less than 1500 cc - 6%
More than 1500 cc - 8%
vinodv001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2012, 19:33   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
mail4ajo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 1,834
Thanked: 222 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

First, the taxation based on the engine capacity is adam's age system. Several high priced cars have a lower CC than their less priced counterparts.

With these higher taxes, hope they fix the roads in Kerala. Some of the main roads are in pathetic shape.
mail4ajo is offline  
Old 27th March 2012, 09:49   #7
BHPian
 
figo_mba's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Posts: 473
Thanked: 208 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Now we can see 'BATA' style prices on cars soon.

FOr Example Price of the All new Venta 9,99,999
Beat - Rs. 4,99,999 etc etc
figo_mba is offline  
Old 27th March 2012, 14:07   #8
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Wow 6%! You were paying half of what we pay here at Hyderabad - 12.5% (or is it 14.5% now?! )

Is it just me or do I see a slew of tax increases across the nation in every state?
hellmet is online now  
Old 27th March 2012, 15:15   #9
BHPian
 
2cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: India
Posts: 320
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

^^ True. The trend seems to be uniform across the states, barring a couple of important items in a couple of states (VAT on fuel in Goa!). Truly bad days ahead for the motoring world.
2cents is offline  
Old 27th March 2012, 15:38   #10
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,431 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Now we can see 'BATA' style prices on cars soon.

FOr Example Price of the All new Venta 9,99,999
Beat - Rs. 4,99,999 etc etc
Chances are pretty low. And that's because the ex showroom prices are NOT constant in all states. From what I remember it's ONLY Mitsubishi which has a ONE INDIA Price system. But what you said makes a lot of sense, a mere Rs. 1000/- can save cash in the range of 20,000/-! Atleast till now I have NOT seen companies taking effort to do this favor for customers, so I doubt that's going to happen in future as well.
swiftnfurious is offline  
Old 27th March 2012, 15:57   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
But what you said makes a lot of sense, a mere Rs. 1000/- can save cash in the range of 20,000/-! Atleast till now I have NOT seen companies taking effort to do this favor for customers, so I doubt that's going to happen in future as well.
It might force them to, if a direct competitor has a ~20K price advantage due to difference in taxation. They might lose 4-5K on the ex-showroom price, but might save 12-15K on discounts offered. It's better to have customer paying less to the govt than to have the customer paying less to you
StarrySky is offline  
Old 27th March 2012, 16:03   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,161
Thanked: 3,756 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

After all KL is now Congress ruled, so why should they not follow the tax and squander route. The Central budget is also a harsh one - the taxes are 10x the give aways.
sgiitk is offline  
Old 27th March 2012, 16:03   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
lurker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tura
Posts: 1,308
Thanked: 641 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
^^ True. The trend seems to be uniform across the states, barring a couple of important items in a couple of states (VAT on fuel in Goa!). Truly bad days ahead for the motoring world.
maybe a cut in petrol prices or some kind of rationalisation is due and states are taking advance measures for preventing severe drop in revenue.
lurker is offline  
Old 27th March 2012, 16:41   #14
BHPian
 
2cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: India
Posts: 320
Thanked: 75 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
... Atleast till now I have NOT seen companies taking effort to do this favor for customers, so I doubt that's going to happen in future as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
.... It's better to have customer paying less to the govt than to have the customer paying less to you
Necessity, as they say, is the mother of all inventions, and these are troubled times. In fact, I always wondered why Car companies never resorted to these methods - sell just the bare bones car, and most other things fitted as accessories at the dealer (like bicycles). Alloys alone can bring down the cost by atleast 50k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
maybe a cut in petrol prices or some kind of rationalisation is due and states are taking advance measures for preventing severe drop in revenue.
Fat chance mate! They have to give petrol free to compensate for the increase in tax elsewhere if they intend to
2cents is offline  
Old 27th March 2012, 17:06   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: EU - Nordic
Posts: 1,563
Thanked: 953 Times
Default Re: Hike in Kerala Road Tax

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Necessity, as they say, is the mother of all inventions, and these are troubled times. In fact, I always wondered why Car companies never resorted to these methods - sell just the bare bones car, and most other things fitted as accessories at the dealer (like bicycles). Alloys alone can bring down the cost by atleast 50k.
They do that even now. But, just for eg:, Fiat alloys cost ~9.5K per wheel. How many people opt for this? Most people who fit alloys on Fiat cars that came without them buy it from outside at about half the cost. So isn't it better for Fiat to add alloys to the car for maybe 35K extra take more "guaranteed" money from the customer?

I think optional extras make sense only if customers can source it only from the manufacturer. In the current scenario in India, even ABS/Airbags are really such optional extras.
StarrySky is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tax on Tax? Road tax should be calculated on ex-factory price (not ex-showroom)! SILVERWOOD The Indian Car Scene 88 30th July 2017 12:39
Tax hike makes two-wheelers costlier in Maharashtra dZired Motorbikes 8 1st February 2017 17:37
Congestion tax, Road tax and Regn taxes on the anvil GeekSrik The Indian Car Scene 24 20th March 2012 07:47
Road Tax in Delhi to hike from 1st April 2010! iTNerd The Indian Car Scene 38 29th September 2011 11:52
Road tax or income tax? SLK The Indian Car Scene 6 5th October 2004 14:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks