Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd July 2012, 17:39   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP
One the other car, managed the same distance without the problem (brake fad).
Need not really mean much for various reasons. The drivers were different, which means driving characteristics differ. The owners are different and we have no idea how each car was (ab)used. Just because 2 cars are of same vintage, we cannot do a direct comparo. Also one thing to note is that he mentions "we were driving a bit sprightly too", which to me seems like more reliance on brakes than engine-braking (sprightly driving downhill would need one to be in higher gears).

Quote:
Swifts, especially the newer lot have poor brakes problem on lower versions (as quoted by many fellow BHPinas who have driven in the Ghats), but, things weren't very good in the earlier versions.
Where did you get the information mentioned above underlined ? I read in the tbhp-review that brakes on L & V variants of new-gen Swift are not to the mark and some folks have also mentioned it on the forum - I have not driven a new-gen Swift, so not sure. But AFAIK this issue did not exist in the previous Swift - we have one for 5 years and braking is impeccable.

Quote:
I agree this is acceptable for a newbie driver, but those experienced ones like the daily travelers drive in the top gear when downhill. However, this way they manage comparable fuel efficiency as that of driving on the plains. Yes they use the engine braking a lot but, also fry the drum/ disks of their vehicles.
If they are driving down in top gear, I fail to understand what engine-braking are they "using a lot" ? I value FE, but not more than my life. And this is not about brake-wear which can be replaced for some money, but about loss of life due to accidents happening due to brakes not working in a ghat area. BTW, the rule is for all, not just newbie drivers.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 2nd July 2012 at 18:05.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 20:04   #62
Senior - BHPian

A difference between the 2000 and 2007 models are the absence of some storage spaces in the dash. These are good for mobiles coins etc.
Take a look at these photos.

2000 Model

Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions-2000a.jpg
Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions-2000b.jpg

2007 Model

Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions-2007a.jpg
Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions-2007b.jpg

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd July 2012 at 20:07.
rajeev k is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:04   #63
Senior - BHPian

This is all correct! But I paid the same amount for the Alto LXi in 2009, that my BIL paid for his in 2004! Come on, the money has to come from somewhere!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:26   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
Many are not aware of the basic down hill driving technique - use the same gear for coming down as for going up.
I use a lower gear for going down because using the same gear makes me go down quicker. Also, I have to keep the AC running to help reduce the speed and ensure that the descent does not drag me down quicker than I want to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
One the other car, managed the same distance without the problem (brake fad).

Secondly, Swifts, especially the newer lot have poor brakes problem on lower versions
I believe the weight of the vehicle also plays a factor here because reduced weight means reduced inertia.

I believe you are referring to the comparison of the Swift ZDi/ZXi brakes to that of the other Swifts. That is indeed correct - larger tyres and ABS mean greater control of the vehicle and better braking.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 21:44   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Can't really say if its saving anything for Maruti, but just another difference I noticed between the Old and New models.

Old -- New
Attachment 948989
Wait.. What is the difference here? Sorry if I am being really thick.. But I cannot spot a difference other than the badges..
swarnava.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2012, 22:17   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Wait.. What is the difference here? .. But I cannot spot a difference other than the badges..
The tail lamp cluster in these pictures doesn't have any difference other than the turn indicator poece colour, whereas in earlier models upto around 2006, the tail lamp assembly had the reverse lights at the topmost point.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 00:15   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
This is all correct! But I paid the same amount for the Alto LXi in 2009, that my BIL paid for his in 2004! Come on, the money has to come from somewhere!
Exactly. Can't blame Maruti alone here. Correct me if I am wrong but the cost has not increased where as raw material costs have gone up considerably. Alto being in value segment, I don't think company can raise the price beyond certain level, so they have to cut down somewhere. Having said that, cutting down on 5th passenger Lap belt is a very irresponsible step from market leader.
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 00:46   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Wait.. What is the difference here? Sorry if I am being really thick.. But I cannot spot a difference other than the badges..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
The tail lamp cluster in these pictures doesn't have any difference other than the turn indicator poece colour, whereas in earlier models upto around 2006, the tail lamp assembly had the reverse lights at the topmost point.
As Rajeev said, turn indicator glass is now amber, with clear bulbs. Earlier models had a clear glass and amber bulb.

Badges was another difference, but like a few member clarified on the last page, this seems to have been reversed.
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 13:51   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Having said that, cutting down on 5th passenger Lap belt is a very irresponsible step from market leader.
You cannot sell a car in India without seat belts, for each of the legally allowed occupants. The reason for the missing 5th belt is, Alto is only a certified 4-seater.
Traffic authorities have the right to penalize, if they find more than 4 adults in an Alto.

Last edited by Daewood : 3rd July 2012 at 13:57.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2012, 22:56   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
You cannot sell a car in India without seat belts, for each of the legally allowed occupants. The reason for the missing 5th belt is, Alto is only a certified 4-seater.
Traffic authorities have the right to penalize, if they find more than 4 adults in an Alto.
If Alto is certified as 4 seater by RTO then yes, technically Maruti is not at fault. But the bigger question is, since Alto had 5th passenger lap belt available until few years ago, Did Maruti skip the fifth belt and certified it as a 4 seater to reduce cost assuming that people are going to use it as 5 passenger vehicle regardless of 4 seater certification. If this is the case, I don't know what to call it: brilliant business move or unethical tactics?
Nitrous Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 07:38   #71
Senior - BHPian

My 2009 Alto has three seat belts at the rear, and the RC book clearly mentions the seating capacity as five persons.

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2012 at 12:32. Reason: As requested
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 08:09   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
My '97 registered Maruti 800 has 0 seat belts. Not even for the driver. So am I not allowed to sell it?

Coming back to the real topic of the thread, the same '97 registered 800 has completed more than 1.4 lakh kilometers and has started showing signs of age since the last 5-6 thousand kms. Throughout its lifetime, my dad has many many good memories with this car which has stopped us from selling it. We have had many long journeys and some breakdowns in the middle of the highways which were almost always fixed by roadside mechanics. The vibrations are increasing with time and the average mileage is now around 13-14 km/l in the city. Plus my local (reliable) mechanic told me that the mounts of the engine have weakened and need a rebuild. Planned to sell it in the coming months but the ever collapsing prices of used petrol cars that are (almost) 2 decades old have prompted me to reconsider the decision. The above quoted post seems to indicate that I can no longer sell this car. I would appreciate any insights regarding this matter.
Vikhyath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 11:02   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

^^^Daewood was mentioning about current laws that require manufacturers to provide seat belts for all occupants in cars sold today. Does not apply to old cars which never came with belts since laws in India did not require seat-belts then.

But what would you get anyway for that car ? We have a '99 M800 with 70K on the odo, which runs fine, but I guess I would get a pittance for that if we are to sell it today.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 12:32   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Did Maruti skip the fifth belt and certified it as a 4 seater to reduce cost assuming that people are going to use it as 5 passenger vehicle regardless of 4 seater certification. If this is the case, I don't know what to call it: brilliant business move or unethical tactics?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
My 2009 Alto has three seat belts at the rear, and the RC book clearly mentions the seating capacity as five persons.
Remember Hyundai doing a Comparo ad for it's Santro vs Alto, saying Alto is only a 4 seater. But the current Alto website says 5 seater. M800 is shown as 4 seater. No idea when Maruti managed to get 5 seater rating for Alto, when it is only 3cms wider than M800.

Last edited by GTO : 5th July 2012 at 12:33. Reason: Correcting quoted post
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2012, 13:40   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^^Daewood was mentioning about current laws that require manufacturers to provide seat belts for all occupants in cars sold today. Does not apply to old cars which never came with belts since laws in India did not require seat-belts then.

But what would you get anyway for that car ? We have a '99 M800 with 70K on the odo, which runs fine, but I guess I would get a pittance for that if we are to sell it today.
Sorry for the OT,
Its not about money. There are lot of memories attached to the car and we still love it. But it has served enough to lead a happy retired life. While, we would love to keep it, we don't have much parking space and after we get a new car, we wouldn't use this car much. Also, we don't have enough of Vitamin M to restore it completely. Selling it to some person who puts the car to respectable use is the only happy ending we see to this story.

The car still runs OK but if revved too much, one can feel the vibrations. This car has also been put through a lot of abuse. I learnt to drive on this car. The brakes me not be too good but its has enough stopping power if driven in speeds less than 100km/h. I say it would still survive another 5 years of city driving with some minor repairs.
Vikhyath is offline   Reply With Quote