Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 6th July 2012, 11:39   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions

True. Having used an M800 bought new in 1985 till 2004 (19 years with a re-certification after 15years) and reluctantly sold it, I understand the memories/sentiments related to a car. My comment was just about the huge dip in resale values of petrol cars in general due to disparity in prices of petrol and diesel.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 11:46   #77
Senior - BHPian

Being on the look-out for a new bike, I went to Southern Hero to test ride the Karizma-R. Price OTR is ~ Rs 92000.00. I remember we paid Rs 90K while buying the same bike for my nephew more than six years ago. That leaves me wondering about the present build quality of this bike as well!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2012, 23:26   #78
Senior - BHPian

In between Maruti added the Suzuki S in the rear when the reverted to chrome lettering from the plane stickers which were used for a brief period.
Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions-060720121114.jpg
Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions-060720121117.jpg
In the above photo the tail light turn indicator glass difference can also be seen.
I have also noticed a change in the wheel discs design between 2007 and 2012 models.
2007 model
Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions-060720121116.jpg
2012 Model
Going cheap, the Maruti way : Comparing the Maruti Alto versions-060720121115.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2012 at 15:32. Reason: As requested
rajeev k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 02:21   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
In between Maruti added the Suzuki S in the rear when the reverted to chrome lettering from the plane stickers which were used for a brief period.

In the above photo the tail light turn indicator glass difference can also be seen.
I have also noticed a change in the wheel discs design between 2007 and 2012 models.
Rajeev, these changes came when BSIII were introduced. I faintly remember there was a thread in the forum pointing out these changes.

- Jose
josejoseph is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 05:38   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Rajeev, these changes came when BSIII were introduced.
Yes you are right, the tail lamp cluster and the front grill and bumpers changed with the introduction of the BSIII variant in 2006.
The change in the wheel discs were a recent one.
There is an error in my referred post, the last two pictures and the title 2007 2012 got interchanged.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th July 2012 at 05:43.
Old 7th July 2012, 09:28   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josejoseph View Post
Rajeev, these changes came when BSIII were introduced. I faintly remember there was a thread in the forum pointing out these changes.

- Jose
Quote:
Yes you are right, the tail lamp cluster and the front grill and bumpers changed with the introduction of the BSIII variant in 2006.
The change in the wheel discs were a recent one.
There is an error in my referred post, the last two pictures and the title 2007 2012 got interchanged.
The pictured tail lamp cluster (the amber one) is a recent change. This came on BS IV cars and not BS3 models.

Last edited by samsag12 : 7th July 2012 at 09:30.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 12:18   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Being on the look-out for a new bike, I went to Southern Hero to test ride the Karizma-R. Price OTR is ~ Rs 92000.00. I remember we paid Rs 90K while buying the same bike for my nephew more than six years ago. That leaves me wondering about the present build quality of this bike as well!
Remember HH slashing the prices of Karizma by around 20k after the initial launch price of 90K, after an year or so. From that level it has slowly crawled back up, to the present 92k.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 13:54   #83
BHPian

I own a BS-3, 2010 Alto Lxi. Initially, I had booked a BS-4 Alto half-heartedly as I was not happy with the missing Temperature Gauge, Digital Fuel Level Indicator, Fixed headrest, Thinner seats, etc. After the booking, the same night, I was casually going over the BS-3 and BS-4 Alto brochures and was shocked to find a massive weight difference of 30 kgs, BS-4 being lighter by 30 kgs - cost cutting to this extent . The next morning, April 24, 2010, I was lucky enough to find my preferred colour (Ecru Beige) BS-3 Alto at a different dealer, and then cancelled the previous booking. I find the BS-3 version itself to be pretty tinny - just apply "a little" pressure above the fuel cap area and it will go inside and come out like a oil tin! I noticed it when I accidentally took support from this area to find something in the boot through the left back door. Also, there was mention in one of the thread that the weight difference between the BS-2 and BS-3 version is 5 kgs! Also would like the clear the confusion about BS-3 not having tubeless tyres - mine came with TUBELESS - perhaps the last few batches came with it!
sada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2012, 13:55   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsag12 View Post
The pictured tail lamp cluster (the amber one) is a recent change. This came on BS IV cars and not BS3 models.
Read my post in the context of the BS III change when the tail lamp was first changed and then in the second change ie., the third unit brought in the amber colored turn indicator glasses. One of my earlier posts also referred this, which is reproduced below.

Quote:
The tail lamp cluster in these pictures doesn't have any difference other than the turn indicator piece colour, whereas in earlier models upto around 2006, the tail lamp assembly had the reverse lights at the topmost point.

Last edited by rajeev k : 7th July 2012 at 14:03.
Old 7th July 2012, 18:44   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
I own a BS-3, 2010 Alto Lxi. Initially, I had booked a BS-4 Alto half-heartedly as I was not happy with the missing Temperature Gauge, Digital Fuel Level Indicator, Fixed headrest, Thinner seats, etc. After the booking, the same night, I was casually going over the BS-3 and BS-4 Alto brochures and was shocked to find a massive weight difference of 30 kgs, BS-4 being lighter by 30 kgs - cost cutting to this extent . The next morning, April 24, 2010, I was lucky enough to find my preferred colour (Ecru Beige) BS-3 Alto at a different dealer, and then cancelled the previous booking. I find the BS-3 version itself to be pretty tinny - just apply "a little" pressure above the fuel cap area and it will go inside and come out like a oil tin! I noticed it when I accidentally took support from this area to find something in the boot through the left back door. Also, there was mention in one of the thread that the weight difference between the BS-2 and BS-3 version is 5 kgs! Also would like the clear the confusion about BS-3 not having tubeless tyres - mine came with TUBELESS - perhaps the last few batches came with it!
Completely agree with you on every part you mentioned as i too own a 2010 BS3 version. BTW mine too came with Tubeless tyres.

Quote:
Read my post in the context of the BS III change when the tail lamp was first changed and then in the second change ie., the third unit brought in the amber colored turn indicator glasses. One of my earlier posts also referred this, which is reproduced below.
Oh.. ok sorry if i wrongly quoted you.
samsag12 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 08:39   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukundmenon View Post
From the pic, it seems that the third passenger seat belt in the rear seat is also gone!
Sorry for the confusion - The new Alto still has 3 seat-belts at the rear. The middle seat belt (and the anchor) was tucked-in by the technician who put the seat cover, hence it looked like 2 seat belts in my photograph.
Keen observation, Mukund!

Last edited by jinojohnt : 8th July 2012 at 08:40.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2012, 23:59   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sada View Post
....... - mine came with TUBELESS - perhaps the last few batches came with it!
Tubeless tyres itself is value engineering as they cost less than tube and tyres.
Old 9th July 2012, 16:18   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tubeless tyres itself is value engineering as they cost less than tube and tyres.
That is true, but the rims cost more as they have to be air tight So on the whole it evens out from the price point of view, but from user convenience tubeless tyres are a boon.
Aroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 16:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

^^ I think the normal rims on my 2009 Alto will accept tubeless tyres very easily. There are no special steel rims for this.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2012, 19:28   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
but the rims cost more as they have to be air tight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
There are no special steel rims for this.
There is no problem in fixing tubeless on stock rims. My 2000 Alto is on its second set of tubeless tyres without any glitch whatsoever.