Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2012, 17:28   #181
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,845 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

The previous i20 not only had two reverse lights, they also had two rear fog lights.
sidindica is offline  
Old 6th April 2012, 14:03   #182
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Mumbai, MH
Posts: 499
Thanked: 177 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP
Saw 3 Fluidic i20s today, being moved to dealer stockyard. It looks good in darker (grey, black & probably bronze) shades, but in lighter shades (white, silver, etc.), it looks too soft & a wannabe rather than a flamboyant alpha as compared to other Fluidic Hyundais.
Don't mean to nitpick, but I'm not entirely sure the i-Gen i20 is in line with Hyundai's new fluidic design philosophy. It seems conspicuous by its absence from their marketing as well - unlike the Sonata where it's very 'in-your-face'. It seems to be positioned merely as a next-gen facelift rather than one purely built around the fluidic philosophy.
Omtoatom is offline  
Old 6th April 2012, 14:38   #183
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

Visited the Hyundai dealer yesterdy and had a detailed dekho at the new i20. one word to describe it : FANTASTIC. How many car manufacturers that we know who give so much for such a price. We saw the i20 Sportz model on the display and it had everything and more that we can expect out of a car at that price.

I left the price list home but if i recall correctly the petrol Sportz model is priced at about INR 6.56L OTR. Which according to me is well placed considering the features it has. I am no expert at it but I am sure Sportz will be a mass seller in i20 family.

We asked the showroom manager about the major significant changes apart from the rain sensin wiper, auto headlamps, reverse camera etc and he said 3 main changes are

1. New Petrol Engine.
2. Changed AC unit
3. Changed Steering column.

These are the 3 things he highlighted even without us asking about the AC or Steering issues and all. Also there is clsoe to INR 1.5L price difference between Sportz (P) vs Sportz (D). Is it justified for someone who drives approx 1500 kms per month with occasional highway useage ( 1000 kms city and 500 kms highway). The reason i ask this is, i am considering this car for my dad, but i am not yet sure P or D. He currently drives a 4 yr and 55k kms old Cedia which he is extremely happy with but thanks to the traffic and parking chaos in our colony and office building and the city in general, he is considering moving to a Hatch back with decent luxury and safety features. Hence i20 Sportz came into consideration.

Regards,

Last edited by h@r$h@l : 6th April 2012 at 14:40.
h@r$h@l is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 14:57   #184
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodpk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,011
Thanked: 463 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

Got a chance to test drive the new petrol i20 for around 2 KMS within city. Could not exceed 80 KM/H. The engine is not at all responsive. Only marginally better than my 800 cc Alto. Steering is too vague and does not give any feedback. NVH levels were good.
pramodpk is offline  
Old 6th April 2012, 15:28   #185
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 695
Thanked: 759 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

3. Changed Steering column.
An advice. Just ask the chap if the steering column is indeed new, what if the steering rattle crops up in your car? Will they take back the car and refund your money in case it does crop up? The Hyundai RO is in your city, seriously consider talking to them over the steering rattle issue before buying the i20.

FYI, the steering rack and yoke spring/plug are new, not the steering column (apparently the new parts will take care of rattle issues, but no guarantees from Hyundai). Flashback to 2010, "new" parts were installed on facelifted 2010 BSIV models to address steering rattle issue and we all know what happened next. They ended up issuing a TSB that affected more than 9 lakh i10s & i20s and yet the issue remained unsolved. I know of cases where people sold off their barely two years old i20s fed up of the steering rattle issue. Hyundai should be ashamed when their customers end up selling their cars over this very shamefully unfixable issue.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 6th April 2012 at 15:32.
skanchan95 is online now  
Old 6th April 2012, 17:54   #186
Senior - BHPian
 
Vik0728's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,739
Thanked: 2,152 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post

We asked the showroom manager about the major significant changes apart from the rain sensin wiper, auto headlamps, reverse camera etc and he said 3 main changes are

1. New Petrol Engine.
2. Changed AC unit
3. Changed Steering column.

These are the 3 things he highlighted even without us asking about the AC or Steering issues and all.
I probably could not agree more with you h@r$h@l on your thoughts.

My brother is on the lookout for a Diesel hatch and we visited Advaith to have a look at the same. We just loved the car and though many people will complain about its flaws and has beens, I for one, honestly believe that Hyundai deserves all the Appreciaton.

Look at the effort they have put in to a class of cars where the competitors are selling high numbers without even offering any such improvements. Hyundai could have just incorporated fluidic design and left it at that, but they have gone way ahead with the I-Gen.
Swift, New and Old are Rattle Mother ships but nobody cribs or complains though an I10 would offer more features.

My Point is: People are Living with All the Rattles and Fall-offs on a Swift and may be it does not have a steering rattle/Ac issue.
I am sure people should accept Hyundai's efforts at atleast attempting to fix the steering rattle/AC issue and stop cribbing about the Past.
Vik0728 is offline  
Old 6th April 2012, 19:45   #187
BHPian
 
skanchan95's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mangalore KA-19
Posts: 695
Thanked: 759 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

And how much time & money does it take to fix those rattles in a Swift? It is negligible compared to the time & money that it will cost( when the car goes out of warranty) to fix steering rattles in an i20. The steering rack of an i20 costs a bomb, in case you didn't know. To fix the steering rattle issue, they have to open up the the steering rack(and column too in some cases), which takes alteast 2-3 hours to open & fix back up. What happens when the car goes out of warranty? I hope Hyundai does not expect people to keep on changing steering rack to fix the issue(which keeps on recurring).

I say this because I owned a Swift before this uber rattler i20 and the rattles which someone is referring to were from the door /dashboard panels, which hardly took any time and money to fix. Hell, some of the rattles, I could fix myself.

EPS malfunction was another issue I faced with my i20. So, apart from the rattle issue, I consider the i20's steering unsafe as well.

Appreciate them for their efforts? People by buying their cars, are not buying their cars but investing in them hoping that the i20 would serve them well over a long period. For three years they have not been able to come up with a permanent solution for the issue? Are they running a car company or something else? I know of people who have sold off their i20s within two years over this issue. Isn't that hard and unfair on them? Hyundai did not treat them well when kept on complaining over the issue. Is that how a "responsible" car company supposed to respond to serious complaints?

So, while it may be easy for people to say people are "cribbing" about the past, but when one has face the issue himself, one will know how painful it is to get stuck with a unsafe rattler like the i20 after paying up more than six and a half lacs!!!!

Five Stars safety in Euro NCAP ratings my foot!!!! What is the point of having all those gizmos in the i20 when you have a critical part of the car like the steering that is unsafe and keeps rattling from time to time? Why doesn't Hyundai come out in the open and confidently say the rattle issues have been fixed in the new i20? What's stopping them? Self doubts that the issue will crop up again? Or being unsure whether the issue has been fixed or not? Going by the way I have received responses from Hyundai, they are still not sure whether the issue has been fixed or not

Last edited by skanchan95 : 6th April 2012 at 19:54.
skanchan95 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 19:56   #188
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,449
Thanked: 6,438 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
...Also there is clsoe to INR 1.5L price difference between Sportz (P) vs Sportz (D). Is it justified for someone who drives approx 1500 kms per month with occasional highway useage ( 1000 kms city and 500 kms highway). The reason i ask this is, i am considering this car for my dad, but i am not yet sure P or D. He currently drives a 4 yr and 55k kms old Cedia which he is extremely happy with...
1500 kms per months is pretty much in the diesel territory. I will NOT buy an i20 unless I need a petrol car WITH an auto. We got better options in the market otherwise!

If you plan to sell the Cedia, I am sure you are going to get pea-nuts! If I may ask, why don't you retain Cedia & buy a Beat D for City drive?Unless you plan for the top variant, you should be able to get some good deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
..My Point is: People are Living with All the Rattles and Fall-offs on a Swift and may be it does not have a steering rattle/Ac issue.
I am sure people should accept Hyundai's efforts at atleast attempting to fix the steering rattle/AC issue and stop cribbing about the Past.
My view:

1. Old Swift had rattles, but was priced lower than i20!
2. AC in the swift is/was bone-chilling! People may forgive rattles, NOT an ineffective AC.
3. New Swifts have NOT consistently reported rattles like the old ones.
4. People paid "premium" prices for i20, so why do you expect them NOT to crib when basic stuffs were NOT working as expected?!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th April 2012 at 19:59.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 21:11   #189
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,123
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

@Vik0728 - Rattles and fall-off's arent life threatening as a the steering issues of i20 is/was. And if you are still not convinced, please read through skanchan95 post above, his post and complaint isnt without a reason. You may see it as cribbing, but you'd understand the pain of it only when you get to experience it.

As swiftnfurious has mentioned, maruti seems to have fixed the rattles in swift for good, I wish hyundai has done the same to the i20's too. If they have done so, its definitely a commendable job.
bala80 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 21:17   #190
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Anand, Gujarat / Virginia Beach, US
Posts: 459
Thanked: 177 Times
Default

Currently we have booked Jazz for in-city use. Primary requirement was to buy an Auto tranny Petrol hatchback but since none were available in premium hatchbacks, we booked next best alternative, Jazz. But with new i20 AT, I am having confusion on should I cancel the Jazz and go ahead with i20 AT? I am inclined towards Jazz but it doesn't have AT.

Another question that I have, is i20 AT available in Asta trim or is it just only Sportz trim?
Nitrous Power is offline  
Old 6th April 2012, 22:05   #191
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,162
Thanked: 3,757 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous Power View Post
Another question that I have, is i20 AT available in Asta trim or is it just only Sportz trim?
Only Sportz but with all round discs. If there was a Jazz (or Brio) AT then we will not be discussing it here. I think 2L for the AT with Gamma in place of Kappa is daylight robbery.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th April 2012, 23:19   #192
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Anand, Gujarat / Virginia Beach, US
Posts: 459
Thanked: 177 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk
Only Sportz but with all round discs. If there was a Jazz (or Brio) AT then we will not be discussing it here. I think 2L for the AT with Gamma in place of Kappa is daylight robbery.
Thanks for the information. I know, 2L is a very huge difference and it is indeed a day light robbery considering the engine capacity difference. However, I think we will cancel the Jazz and book i20 as our first priority is AT.
Nitrous Power is offline  
Old 7th April 2012, 17:34   #193
Senior - BHPian
 
wilful's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: cochin
Posts: 1,120
Thanked: 862 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

When are we going to get the comprehensive Team-BHP report on the New i-Gen i20? I am eagerly waiting for it (as I am sure are a whole lot of others).
wilful is offline  
Old 7th April 2012, 23:54   #194
BHPian
 
Rodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 349
Thanked: 21 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95
And how much time & money does it take to fix those rattles in a Swift? It is negligible compared to the time & money that it will cost( when the car goes out of warranty) to fix steering rattles in an i20. The steering rack of an i20 costs a bomb, in case you didn't know. To fix the steering rattle issue, they have to open up the the steering rack(and column too in some cases), which takes alteast 2-3 hours to open & fix back up. What happens when the car goes out of warranty? I hope Hyundai does not expect people to keep on changing steering rack to fix the issue(which keeps on recurring).

I say this because I owned a Swift before this uber rattler i20 and the rattles which someone is referring to were from the door /dashboard panels, which hardly took any time and money to fix. Hell, some of the rattles, I could fix myself.

EPS malfunction was another issue I faced with my i20. So, apart from the rattle issue, I consider the i20's steering unsafe as well.

Appreciate them for their efforts? People by buying their cars, are not buying their cars but investing in them hoping that the i20 would serve them well over a long period. For three years they have not been able to come up with a permanent solution for the issue? Are they running a car company or something else? I know of people who have sold off their i20s within two years over this issue. Isn't that hard and unfair on them? Hyundai did not treat them well when kept on complaining over the issue. Is that how a "responsible" car company supposed to respond to serious complaints?

So, while it may be easy for people to say people are "cribbing" about the past, but when one has face the issue himself, one will know how painful it is to get stuck with a unsafe rattler like the i20 after paying up more than six and a half lacs!!!!

Five Stars safety in Euro NCAP ratings my foot!!!! What is the point of having all those gizmos in the i20 when you have a critical part of the car like the steering that is unsafe and keeps rattling from time to time? Why doesn't Hyundai come out in the open and confidently say the rattle issues have been fixed in the new i20? What's stopping them? Self doubts that the issue will crop up again? Or being unsure whether the issue has been fixed or not? Going by the way I have received responses from Hyundai, they are still not sure whether the issue has been fixed or not
Has ur car rattle fixed? I am so irritated by i20 rattle that plan to selll the car. Now my car is out of warranty but I had sent to service station at least 15 for this issue. I recently bought new dzire and pleasantly surprised by refinement of car when compared to i20. I some times even think to get another swift though I would prefer a change.
Rodeo is offline  
Old 8th April 2012, 10:56   #195
BHPian
 
Blow Horn Ok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bokaro
Posts: 597
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Face-lifted Hyundai i20 "i-Gen" launched @ 4.73 lakhs

I have seen that generally a face-lifted model receives positive response (mostly). IMO this is the first time where a face-lifted car is facing equal amount of positive and negative feedback. I think its because the problems reported in earlier model and few negatives on the design front.
Blow Horn Ok is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Initial ownership report for the Face lifted 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander sknair Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 41 4th December 2013 11:34
Hi! My introduction and about my new Tata Indigo LS(face lifted version) v&v Introduce yourself 7 2nd September 2007 11:47
Photos: Face lifted Audi A8 L Dippy The Indian Car Scene 14 15th August 2007 17:57
Face-lifted Corolla ? Neo. The Indian Car Scene 13 9th September 2005 19:02


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:15.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks