Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 13th June 2012, 14:42   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Meru Plus launched : A premium multi-point rental car service

At first glance of the post title it seemed like Meru would employ more premium sedans into service and thus the Plus tag. After reading through the details, it seems like by just tweaking the pricing, it would not make it a premium service by any extent.

By offering more premium sedans read Sunny, Altis, City, Rapid and the likes thereby creating a differentiation thus upping the rates would have been justified.

Here we see that they are employing the same cars and that too ones like Dzire which would now be available in a bare basic avataar - Dzire Tour specifically for the taxi segment and if this is true then actually it would be a step back in premiumness. (wonder which Dzire version are they operating?)

Must see how this works out in the medium term as they may have a simple back up plan to convert the Plus fleet into normal Merus if it does not work out!

read - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...zire-tour.html (The old Dzire is back, named 'DZire Tour'!)
girishglg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2012, 14:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Meru plus is available only in Mumbai I think. Are the prices still Rs 21per Km? Here in Delhi all cab services including Meru (normal one and not the premium) charge Rs 20 Per Km.
Regular AC Radio cabs costs 17 per km & this one costs 21 per km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
At first glance of the post title it seemed like Meru would employ more premium sedans into service and thus the Plus tag. After reading through the details, it seems like by just tweaking the pricing, it would not make it a premium service by any extent.

By offering more premium sedans read Sunny, Altis, City, Rapid and the likes thereby creating a differentiation thus upping the rates would have been justified.

Here we see that they are employing the same cars and that too ones like Dzire which would now be available in a bare basic avataar - Dzire Tour specifically for the taxi segment and if this is true then actually it would be a step back in premiumness. (wonder which Dzire version are they operating?)

Must see how this works out in the medium term as they may have a simple back up plan to convert the Plus fleet into normal Merus if it does not work out!

read - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...zire-tour.html (The old Dzire is back, named 'DZire Tour'!)
The only thing premium about it is that they wait till we finish our job.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:10   #33
BHPian

Meru states in their Terms and Conditions that they can cancel your booking at any time without notice. If you are using their services for a ride to the airport to catch a flight, that could mean missing your flight. I don't know if Meru Plus would be any different.

I took a CityCabs taxi instead because CityCabs didn't include anything similar to that clause in their Terms and Conditions.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 15:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_nitin_r View Post
Meru states in their Terms and Conditions that they can cancel your booking at any time without notice. If you are using their services for a ride to the airport to catch a flight, that could mean missing your flight. I don't know if Meru Plus would be any different.

I took a CityCabs taxi instead because CityCabs didn't include anything similar to that clause in their Terms and Conditions.
Meru Plus is more like a travels car. I fore-see that there should not be any last minute refusals. It works like this -

Corporates will prefer "Innovas" to ferry their clients rather than Manzas and DZire Tours. A person who can afford to pay RS 21/- per km will most-probably have a car. This is for that few people, whose cars are away with other chores and who need a car to wait for a round trip, where conventional taxis and rickshaws dont wait. feel since its a premium service, they will not have last minute cancellations.
scopriobharath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2012, 15:46   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Meru Plus. feel since its a premium service, they will not have last minute cancellations.
I hope so too.

There are two ways a company can go with this - either they cancel your booking to send the car to someone else who pays higher, or they have that as a provision because if the car they are sending you breaks down on the way or has an accident, they don't want to get sued.

I have no idea of the rates but if it's a premium, I hope they will deliver the car to the house and pick it up when I'm done. If someone can catch an auto to get to their office, he/she might as well talk the auto driver into a regular pick up/drop service.
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2012, 10:13   #36
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Used Meru Plus last evening. Expensive it is, but sometimes, you just have to pay for the convenience. Folks had to go to multiple places, I was watching the race with friends, brother was out of town and the chauffeur wasn't in (being a Sunday).

Called Meru Plus. My parents were sold on the idea of the driver waiting if they had to make multiple stops.

A new'ish Dzire was here within 30 minutes of booking. Total time that the cab was rented for was close to 4 hours. Bill : Rs. 850. Mom & Dad spoke very highly of the car's condition and driver courtesy.

For the distance they travelled, point to point call taxis would have cost them less than 500 bucks. Thus, they paid 70% of the travelling cost for making the cab wait.

Last edited by GTO : 10th September 2012 at 10:15.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 19:41   #37
Senior - BHPian

Default Seat Belt saved my expectant wife's life

Seat Belt saved my expectant wife's life.

Let me share my experience with Meru Plus - The so called "premium" taxi service.

We are from Chennai and my job currently keeps me in Mumbai. My wife is expecting and we decided to keep the religious ceremonies at chennai. We had booked Dadar Chennai express on Sunday, 14th Oct, departing at 8:30 pm from Dadar.

We hired a Meru Plus owing to them that they are safe and reliable. Secondly, they have a boot where we could load luggage. The Merus have a CNG tank in the boot, as are only as good as a hatchback, so my luggage will not fit in. Meru Plus was the only option.

We received a Call from Azad Mani Tripathi - Chauffer of car MH 06 J 9412, which is a New swift Dzire (less than 4 mts version).

My wife sat in the front seat and the first mistake here. Driver tells my wife NOT to wear seat belts as Police would not catch / fine her. Being a TBHPian and hearing horror stories almost daily, I insisted my wife to wear the seat belt which she obliges.

I have already instructed him to drive slowly as my wife is carrying and also said that I will pay him some extra money over and above the meter. (I know Meru's Business Model and extra bucks help the poor souls).

As we pass along the Western Express Highway, I notice that he is speeding at 80 kmph on the right most lane. Even on request to slow down, he slows down to about 60 and then again touches 80. Right after the airport, There are three vehicles in formation An Indica, A Xylo and our vehicle behind the xylo(As depicted in the Picture. Suddenly the indica decides to stop in the middle and the Xylo steers to the left lane. My Cab driver reacts too late and me and my wife can see the dzire screetching and hit the Xylo. We shout "aaaaaaaa" and just see the dzire hit the Xylo. FOr a minute i Think that this is our last day, but Thank god, The Seat belt saved the Baby and in the womb and my spouse. The Dzire is badly damaged with bonnet smashed and bumper broken.

We immediately call our doctor and the first question we were asked is Whether My wife's tummy hit the dash-board or not. I replied that Seat Belt prevented that and Then the doctor told me that then it is 100% safe. Both Mother and Baby are 100% safe. It was then i breathed a sigh of relief. Doctor Told us IF the tummy had it the dash board, We might have needed to admit my spouse in the hospital and it might have resulted in loss of the child in the mother's womb.

Name:  111111111.bmp
Views: 2183
Size:  439.1 KB

Name:  2222222222.bmp
Views: 2188
Size:  406.4 KB

The Driver argued with me that most pregnant woman don't wear seat belts. I just told him to shut up and told its no responsibility of his to discourage a passenger from wearing seat belts. Heck Black and yellow taxis are much more accommodating.

Meru Plus' Response:

We reach Dadar station after much Trauma and We were charged "24 minutes" waiting, which is close to 70 Rs/-. We escalate the incident to the Meru Plus call center at around 8:15pm.

After 2 days one Mr Siddharth calls us and tells us that they will fine the driver UPTO Rs 500/- and/or issue a warning letter. We are not happy with this solution and we again call the call center and ask someone with "decision making power" to call us. We receive a call from one Mz Patricia and finally we receive nothing but words of sympathy. Patricia is an assistant manager by designation but she has no "decision making power". We again demand to speak to someone with "decision making power". We are called by one Sandip from Meru Plus and after 42 minues of tactical talk, we are told the following and the call is cut abruptly.

Meru Plus' Policies:
  • No policy to compensate passenger
  • Meru will NOT disclose the punishment / penalty / action that is taken on the errant driver.
  • Meru Will NOT terminate the errant driver
  • No policy to return the "waiting Charges" levied. (If accident had not happened, there would not have been a need to wait).
  • Driver will be fined UPTO Rs 500/- and given a warning.
  • No Policy to reimburse the taxi fare paid. (we paid 498/-)
  • Driver was constantly updating people about the accident on his phone, while driving. No one bothered about this.
  • Driver was driving at 60 post accident, even-though My wife and I were asking him to drive at 40 kmph. No one bothered about this.
What I should have done, but did not do:
  • I traveled by the same car after accident(Should have hired a black and yellow taxi to Dadar)
  • Should not have paid the driver anything.
  • Crowd had gathered when the accident took place, should have hit the taxi driver hard and also asked the crowd to beat up the driver(I would care for the driver, if he would have cared for my wife and child)
  • I should have called the Police and Filed an FIR.
What I Expect as a Customer paying Rs 21/- per km:
  • Meru Plus takes responsibility for any incidents by its drivers
  • Meru Plus should Compensate by at least reimbursing the "waiting" charge levied. Ideally they should not charge any fare in view of the accident.
  • Stringent action against the driver and/or Terminate.
  • Show educational videos on usage of seat belts
  • Ask Drivers to Report Accidents proactively to the call center.
  • Have on-road support to assist us (Like Pune Taxis)
MODS: Please excuse sharing the vehicle registration number and name of the person, as this mistake is too grave and will result in loss of lives. Sharing this with Fellow BHPians would be greatly helpful and preventive in future.

Fellow BHPians: Please avoid using Meru Plus.Black and Yellows are more courteous.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 18th October 2012 at 20:00.
scopriobharath is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 20:06   #38
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

scorpiobharat.

It is relief to know that your family was safe - even if thanks to care taken by yourself rather than the cab driver nut. It was just to risky having wife in front seat at such a stage. But all is well that ends well.

Feel that this is typical of most taxi drivers and yet normally meru / meru plus drivers are better of the lot even compared to normal yellow cabs and this may or maynot happen in any taxi depending upto the kind of driver we get. Most meru cab drivers were reportedly earlier driving normal taxi and so are not a better or worst breed except for the fact that they are supposed to have been given a set of rules to follow besides some kind of training.

Also though I totally agree that Meru should have a mechanism of higer punishment - even I have only had a 80/90 % good experience hit rate with Meru (though this is better than with normal black and yellow and blue cool cabs (expecially bad) - the union and flash strikes that affect taxi and auto service is also evident with meru and other private cab services.

Thanks for sharing the experience.
ACM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 20:37   #39
BHPian

Hi Bharath,

Glad to know that you and your family are safe and sound. Do not mind me saying this, but I feel you could have may be avoided this incident, or if not, at least shouldnt have let the driver go free.

I somehow do not understand why you let your expecting wife sit in the front seat? I am assuming the rear seats too had seat belts.

Secondly, how in the world could you remain calm and just let the driver go so easily? And that too you paid him to have risked your life? . I would have blown my head off and beaten the living daylights out of him. If not atleast you could have gone ahead with a FIR.

Take care and good to know that you all buckled up.
Cheers!!
Motormania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 22:09   #40
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Seat Belt saved my expectant wife's life

Quote:
Seat Belt saved my expectant wife's life..
Thank god that you and your family are safe.
Also you are lucky that the car did not have a passenger side air bag. Back seats are always better for pregnant and small children. Some countries where air bags are mandatory, by law kids are not allowed in front passenger side seat. I am not sure Dezire has seat belts at the rear if yes, that is the right place for pregnant woman, and dont forget to wear seatbelt all the time, it really helps.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 22:26   #41
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Seat Belt saved my expectant wife's life

So glad to read that everyone is ok and doing well despite the incident. Its a shame and i travel reasonably often with Meru in Delhi and i dont think i have met any driver till date who has driven rashly or not listened - the condition of their cars is a different story.

Yep i agree , you should not have paid anything and simply got into another car and then handled the matter later.

Quote:
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 22:57   #42
BHPian

Quote:

Fellow BHPians:[/b][/u] Please avoid using Meru Plus.Black and Yellows are more courteous.
Glad to know that no one was injured and your wife's well. Agree with you and I have made it a policy not to step into a MERU cab after seeing the way their gorillas (read drivers) race on the roads. And the condition of their cabs is pathetic to say the least. More than twice, I have had instances of these madcaps dozing at the wheel. Read about Meru Plus, but the very name Meru is enough to make me run away.

On related note, for similar service, if you need a cab for multiple stops, try Carzonrent - they let you use cars by the hour (min 800 for 4 hours though) and you get well maintained cabs with very decent drivers. Have used them extensively in Chennai, Mumbai, Pune & Delhi and no issues so far. A bit more expensive but atleast you are safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
So glad to read that everyone is ok and doing well despite the incident. Its a shame and i travel reasonably often with Meru in Delhi and i dont think i have met any driver till date who has driven rashly or not listened - the condition of their cars is a different story.
Thats surprising, as almost all my experiences with Meru have been bad, across cities (Blr / Mumbai / Delhi). I reside at Bangalore and I refrain from getting into a Meru cab at the airport queue. Dont mind letting others behind me in the taxi queue board before me, but I prefer a Mega or KSTDC cab rather than these green colored steel rattletraps driven by eccentric gorillas.
aroonanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 22:58   #43
BHPian

God is gracious my friend, your quick thinking about the belt saved some precious lives.
I can only promise you one thing, i won't use meru or meru plus cabs from now on... a lot of options are available mega, easy,tab etc.
kaks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2012, 23:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Well this is a bit of a surprise for me as well , most of the people i know who use Meru's have never complained either , guess you can put it down to me being lucky with the drivers that i have got so far.

I have almost stopped using the Black and Yellow's in Delhi now since these guys started their operations

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
Thats surprising, as almost all my experiences with Meru have been bad, across cities (Blr / Mumbai / Delhi). I reside at Bangalore and I refrain from getting into a Meru cab at the airport queue. Dont mind letting others behind me in the taxi queue board before me, but I prefer a Mega or KSTDC cab rather than these green colored steel rattletraps driven by eccentric gorillas.
puchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2012, 13:13   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroonanand View Post
I have a similar view of Meru. Often when you call them, their call center very professionally takes the booking. After you have waited for a while, closer to your booking time, the call center would call and let you know that the cab can not be sent for some reason or the other. At times, instead of the call center the assigned Driver calls up stating that he can not make it as he is either too far or my destination is not his preferred one. Within city, point to point of Meru is merely advertizing. Most of the time you do not get them. I normally use Easy Cabs and KSTDC from Airport too after some of these bad experiences.

Last edited by nareshtrao : 19th October 2012 at 13:14.
nareshtrao is offline   Reply With Quote