Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 16th April 2012, 18:55   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Mileage labels on cars soon; 10L fine for violation of mileage standards

Note from Mod: There are several spelling & grammatical errors in your posts. This negatively affects the board experience for other readers.

Kindly ensure that you proof-read your posts prior to submission. Also, it would be a good idea to use spell-checkers.

Last edited by GTO : 16th April 2012 at 21:33. Reason: Correction of Typo's
musafir_blr is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th April 2012, 15:28   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Mileage labels on cars soon; 10L fine for violation of mileage standards

While I welcome the move, the government needn't have bothered. Gas guzzlers simply don't sell in the market. Can anyone think of a single <10 lakh rupee car that isn't fuel-efficient, and still manages to sell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
The government cannot ensure good quality fuel, forcing the manufacturers to not bring in their latest technologies. And then they force them to make their age-old engines more efficient. What sense does it make?
Sorry, but I beg to disagree.

- The Laura direct-injection turbo-charged petrol (TSI) - as high tech an engine as they come - is able to run on Indian petrol. A Mercedes S350 CDI runs just as well on regular Indian diesel.

- The sense it makes is this : If it weren't for the Indian government, manufacturers would still be selling us outdated junk with carburettors. MPFI, catalytic convertors, common-rail direct injection diesels....all of these are the result of the tough emission norms imposed by the Government of India.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2012, 20:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- The Laura direct-injection turbo-charged petrol (TSI) - as high tech an engine as they come - is able to run on Indian petrol.

If it weren't for the Indian government, manufacturers would still be selling us outdated junk with carburettors. MPFI, catalytic convertors, common-rail direct injection diesels....all of these are the result of the tough emission norms imposed by the Government of India.
Absolutely.
I was happy to see this thread and the opening post but was sad to see the many negative posts subsequently.

Actually I have been thinking why the government does not set FE qualifiers (just like the 1.2L engine size and 4m length).

Next on the list should be mandatory hybrid (atleast start/stop) and regenerative braking. Those who do not implement these can be charged additional 2% duty - for example.

Cheers!
Old 17th April 2012, 21:42   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Anand,

Since we are talking about compulsion, I would first recommend ABS to be made mandatory in the country. For cars costing over 7.5 lakhs, ABS & ESP - both - should be made standard on all cars.

The Government is wasting its time with these mileage standards, when the market already rebukes gas guzzlers. In a country obsessed with FE, guzzlers won't sell. This energy should instead be used toward making life-saving safety devices compulsory.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 06:23   #20
BHPian

Agree with the above post.

In addition to that, for cars that come under 7.5 lakh, ABS & ESP should mandatorily be available as an optional extra, on all variants.
Old 6th June 2012, 10:49   #21
BHPian

I got very late in office last night. I started at12:30 am. So, I thought of checking the mileage on empty roads (I had experimented a few times earlier, the last time being on the day of the bandh last week). My home is about 17.5 km from office. I drove the distance without AC. The first 1.5 km was drive in 2nd and 3rd gears, while the last 0.5 km was in 2nd gear and reversing for parking. I got am amazing mileage of 25.2 kmpl with my Honda City SMT.
Attached Images

Old 14th June 2012, 08:26   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Fuel-saving power of cars to be rated

Quote:
The move is aimed at reducing fuel consumption, saving carbon emissions and making travel more economical for a car user. Of course, fuel efficient models of cars, like refrigerators and ACs, will cost more depending upon the efficiency rating. "It will be mandatory for manufacturers to bring only those car models in the market which are matching our fuel efficiency standards from April 1, 2013. They will have star categories with five-star being the most fuel efficient and one-star the least," he said at a press briefing on Wednesday.
Quote:
Shockingly, only 9% to 16% car models are energy efficient in the country and average weight of cars are also increasing, which are affecting the fuel efficiency of cars
Quote:
As per the BEE's assumption, cars in five-star category are those which roughly consume up to seven litres of fuel for 100 km. Those consuming between seven and nine litres fall in four-star category whereas those between nine and 11 litres per 100 km belong to the three-star category. Cars consuming 12 litres of fuel for 100 km and beyond are in the one-star category
Quote:
Primary findings of BEE suggest that highest number of 105 car models fall in the three-star category while 69 models belong to the 2-star category. In the 1-star category, there are 72 models.
Fuel-saving power of cars to be rated - The Times of India
Old 14th June 2012, 15:13   #23
BANNED

A good move by the govt. but too late. ARAI figures, as far as mileage is concerned are fairly good indicators. The manufacturers too have made their vehicles energy efficient. What will be its fate? Well there are two examples. One is BEE Star Label, a fairly successful initiative, the other one is ISI Mark. Almost every major electrical appliances have given it a pass.

Wonder what impact this initiative will have on automobile sector! But the fact that the manufacturers haven't been taking kindly to it gives us a hope that it will augur well for all of us.

For the manufacturers it means one more bureaucratic hassles, some more bribe, and for the govt. it would mean more revenue and money making opportunity for the the people implementing it.
Closed Thread