Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2012, 12:37   #31
BHPian
 
Pallavi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 107
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Peculiar strategy, coming from a company that launched the value-for-money Superb Ambition only recently (Link to thread (Skoda Superb "Ambition" Variant launched @ Rs. 18 lakh)).
Maybe the guys who were responsible for Fabia pricing are yet to attend the "How to price the cars right in Indian market" training which the Superb Ambition pricing team attended
Pallavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 13:07   #32
BHPian
 
throttleking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 780
Thanked: 336 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

There goes another Skoda. Some disaster are written deliberately. No focus on improving their services and dealer network, no focus on customer satisfaction (read Harish's thread), and to top all exorbitant pricing for some the models, this is a recipe of disaster.
throttleking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 13:22   #33
Senior - BHPian
 
S2!!!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,810
Thanked: 9,104 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Lamb dressed as mutton to sum things up!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
I just need to know one thing about this car: PURPOSE
. Neither does this car have any off-roading ability in the form of a 4WD system, nor does it have the punchy 1.6L diesel nor petrol engines for touring purpose. The boot is the same size as the regular hatchback too and is no Skoda Combi.

To sum it up it doesn't add any further value and is not a long distant tourer from any angle and even if I was interested in the Fabia, why wouldn't I just buy the Fabia instead of spending more on its visually muscular sibling with the same puny heart.
S2!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 14:57   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
greenhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: TN-14
Posts: 6,833
Thanked: 1,309 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by govigov View Post
That is a unique point of view. Would you mind sharing the learning?
You have to take about three marketing courses to get it fully ( I can say this is something along those lines, but cant say that for sure - I was sleeping in those classes). The following articles might give you a clue.
The 'brand halo' effect on durable goods prices: brand reliability and the used car market | Academy of Marketing Studies Journal | Find Articles
Marketing Examples: Reference Pricing
greenhorn is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 15:11   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

I notice on this thread that many of us crib quite a bit about Skoda, not least this time, when Skoda has launched a "cosmetically enhanced" version of a vehicle.

Why cant the same standards then apply to Maruti and Hyundai and all those others including Mahindra and Tata and so on? Considering that for years and years they've been doing very little else other than idiotic "limited editions" and other cosmetic upgrades on existing models! Same goes for that Palio "Tendulkar" edition with a silly signature on it. And the VW "IPL" rubbish.

Fact is that someone who wants to look a little different from the herd, will end up considering possibilities of vehicles like the "cosmetically enhanced" Fabia Scout.

This is only an observation so help me god!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 15:29   #36
BHPian
 
avisidhu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 618
Thanked: 456 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I notice on this thread that many of us crib quite a bit about Skoda, not least this time, when Skoda has launched a "cosmetically enhanced" version of a vehicle.

Why cant the same standards then apply to Maruti and Hyundai and all those others including Mahindra and Tata and so on? Considering that for years and years they've been doing very little else other than idiotic "limited editions" and other cosmetic upgrades on existing models! Same goes for that Palio "Tendulkar" edition with a silly signature on it. And the VW "IPL" rubbish.

Fact is that someone who wants to look a little different from the herd, will end up considering possibilities of vehicles like the "cosmetically enhanced" Fabia Scout.

This is only an observation so help me god!
Shankar, what you said would have made perfect sense had the price difference been acceptable, say around 30-40K.

No one here is complaining about the extra goodies, it's the atrocious pricing which is simply not digestible, especially considering there's no engine upgrade too.
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 16:21   #37
BHPian
 
Yeldo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Kochi
Posts: 719
Thanked: 644 Times
Talking Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

"Halo" is OK, but then, what Skoda are trying here is shine a Maglite- type flashlight (the smaller type that comes with some car tool / accessory kits) behind the Fabia, and wish the buyer to think it as an aura- filled halo!
Yeldo is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 16:33   #38
Senior - BHPian
 
W.A.G.7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,095
Thanked: 717 Times
Angry Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

It looks good, but frankly speaking I am bored of the beige colour anywhere inside our outside the car. The pricing is ... cannot say anything more than this.

And with that extravagant pricing and all the high maintenance costs, Skoda is not going anywhere. How bad; it may be a really good quality product, but is spoiled because of a bad parent company; and bad company policies and practices.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 16:36   #39
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

Agreed AVsidhu. Totally agreed in fact. The International Fabia Scout was supposed to have a higher GC and so on. (Atleast that is what the Auto Mags reports when it was showcased in Jan at the Auto Expo etc)

However, the same logic as per your below post applies (in ref engine capacity etc) to the Suzuki Swift Limited Edition and all the myriad such cosmetic upgrades that are rife from all the other manufacturers including VW and Hyundai and Chevy and what have you?

So why single out Skoda to grumble at? That is all Im saying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Shankar, what you said would have made perfect sense had the price difference been acceptable, say around 30-40K.

No one here is complaining about the extra goodies, it's the atrocious pricing which is simply not digestible, especially considering there's no engine upgrade too.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 17:00   #40
BHPian
 
eq24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Crazy-gaon, NCR
Posts: 376
Thanked: 307 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Agreed AVsidhu. Totally agreed in fact. The International Fabia Scout was supposed to have a higher GC and so on. (Atleast that is what the Auto Mags reports when it was showcased in Jan at the Auto Expo etc)

However, the same logic as per your below post applies (in ref engine capacity etc) to the Suzuki Swift Limited Edition and all the myriad such cosmetic upgrades that are rife from all the other manufacturers including VW and Hyundai and Chevy and what have you?

So why single out Skoda to grumble at? That is all Im saying.
I understand your point about the other cosmetically changed limited edition versions and what not. I guess the general resentment is not towards the product wholly but towards Skoda as a company in India.

Horror stories amount on this forum about Skoda's dealers harassing the ends out of customers and this does not generally shed a good light on the company so when even a slight error or wrong strategy decision is made by Skoda it is magnified manifold. I guess its human nature sir.

On another note after reading dkaile's wonderful report on the superb I too reached Skoda Gurgaon with quite strong intentions to go for the car as it seemed an irresistible offering considering the price offered, till this day Sir I am to recieve a call from the dealership about a TD.

So considering all this I am glad you are happy with your Yeti and you fall in that minority on this forum who have received decent service from Skoda, the rest of us folk are left with nothing else but a sour taste in our mouthes.
eq24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 17:01   #41
BHPian
 
man_and_machine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 428
Thanked: 215 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

except for the cladding and leather stuff, if this not the same as the pre-dress down fabia that was available during its initial launch. I guess they are looking at the premium hatch segment. But, that market is not tilted towards the Duster, EcoSport sort of "new" arrivals. i20 has a lead that fabia can never touch and a 8+ you are already competing with Sunny which is a different league (in all senses). What is Skoda thinking?
man_and_machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 17:28   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: KA-09
Posts: 347
Thanked: 350 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So why single out Skoda to grumble at? That is all Im saying.
This is a Skoda thread and hence every body is grumbling abt a Skoda!

On a serious note, I see your point, but the fact is the "SCOUT" badge stands for a set of characters in other markets. When they afix the same badge and give us a completely watered down product without any of the character is it not justified when people cry foul at it? This is not same as limited editions and I feel the two are not comparable.

How would you feel if Mercedes badges a variant as AMG and gives only the body kit?
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 19:14   #43
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,325 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

No worries there mate. I agree about watered down stuff being unattractive - especially when the international version of the same vehicle is so much better. Submitting that the same goes for the other manufacturers who flog their watered down junkmatics here whereas they are kept on their toes in other markets. Poor blessed Indians - I guess we just have to live with these things!

Meanwhile grace of god I am happy with my Yeti - maybe I am in the minority here but Im quite happy to be that way. That Yeti, to me, as of this moment, is one of the best things to have happened! Cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eq24 View Post
I understand your point about the other cosmetically changed limited edition versions and what not. I guess the general resentment is not towards the product wholly but towards Skoda as a company in India.

Horror stories amount on this forum about Skoda's dealers harassing the ends out of customers and this does not generally shed a good light on the company so when even a slight error or wrong strategy decision is made by Skoda it is magnified manifold. I guess its human nature sir.

On another note after reading dkaile's wonderful report on the superb I too reached Skoda Gurgaon with quite strong intentions to go for the car as it seemed an irresistible offering considering the price offered, till this day Sir I am to recieve a call from the dealership about a TD.

So considering all this I am glad you are happy with your Yeti and you fall in that minority on this forum who have received decent service from Skoda, the rest of us folk are left with nothing else but a sour taste in our mouthes.
Yes I agree I would be displeased if Merc gave me a junkmatics jalopy and made me pay big bucks for it. I do believe this edition of the SCOUT is similar to those "Limited Editions" because even those carried a premium for nothing but cosmetic dolling up. Remember the Esteem Limited, the Zen Carbon and the newest one the Swift Limited Edition?
Same old story there too, as the Scout - overall that is.

Dont get me wrong I am not excusing Skoda - Im simply saying what's sauce for the goose ought to be sauce for the Gander too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
This is a Skoda thread and hence every body is grumbling abt a Skoda!

On a serious note, I see your point, but the fact is the "SCOUT" badge stands for a set of characters in other markets. When they afix the same badge and give us a completely watered down product without any of the character is it not justified when people cry foul at it? This is not same as limited editions and I feel the two are not comparable.

How would you feel if Mercedes badges a variant as AMG and gives only the body kit?
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 21:37   #44
BHPian
 
Geo_Ipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vellore
Posts: 395
Thanked: 359 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

I really don't have much to say about the Scout's pricing which has not already been discussed here.

One thing that crosses my mind is the roaring success the Fabia is enjoying in the world of rallying. Yet, no word about that by Skoda to try and promote the Fabia??!! Especially since the Indian MRF APRC team has also shifted to Fabia's from the Lancer Evo's they used to sport?? Am I the only one who thinks that might be a good advertising strategy??

But on the other side, even Mitsubishi never utilised their rallying success in selling cars in India. And I do not recall any advertising involving their rallying success to promote their Lancers in India. Am I right??

(( - My 100th post! Thanking TBHP and fellow BHPians))

Last edited by Geo_Ipe : 25th April 2012 at 21:39.
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 21:50   #45
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

I wish I could say 'something is better than nothing'...but this does not even qualify for that.

First of all, a gray bumper in India is considered unpainted which makes it look downmarket and therefore this car actually looks worse than a regular Fabia.

Secondly the price.

Third, where is the raised suspension? (thats present in the Euro Scout)

That's something people living in semi urban areas or driving in construction sites would have appreciated. Sort of like a mini Yeti FWD.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
6 lakhs to repair Skoda Fabia engine. EDIT: Owner sells Fabia as scrap! zombiedriver Technical Stuff 234 27th July 2016 16:32
EICMA 2015: Indian Scout Sixty launched Tushar Superbikes & Imports 4 13th July 2016 14:42
Skoda (including the Fabia Scout) @ Auto Expo 2012 Rehaan The Indian Car Scene 26 4th August 2012 12:33
Is Skoda planning to launch Fabia Scout in India? iSpoke The Indian Car Scene 52 30th November 2011 15:31
Skoda octavia scout - Rich man's adventure? kvish The International Automotive Scene 12 6th September 2006 18:44


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:22.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks