Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 27th April 2012, 16:09   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs

I wrote to Skoda before buying my Punto. I was really hoping they would launch a 4 cylinder diesel variant. They ruled out any possibility of it in near term. Then I wrote to VW and spoke to them about the rumors of VW Polo in a 4 cylinder variant. Tough luck there too. Thankfully, I always had my eye on the Punto and a TD of the 90HP just blew my mind enough for me to lay the cash on the table.
Skoda is a brilliant brand and on my recent travel to Spain and France, I noticed most cabs at the airport were Skoda Octavias in white. The driver told me no other car can do 1,00,000 miles without any engine repairs at this price point.
It's a shame they don't bring their real gems to India.
Relativity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:24   #62
BHPian

Ha! And Skoda does it again. I'm sure the Scout is a wonderful car especially considering build quality incomparable to anything in its league. But, with this pricing, I'd be better off to call it a sheep in wolf's clothing.

I don't get this foolish act of Skodas. One of the foremost foreign players in the Indian automobile market, recently, they celebrated 10years, and yet they haven't understood the needs of the market? Rubbish! Or is VW intentionally treating them as the unfortunate sibling? I doubt they'd do that, because either way VW wins. Isn't it?

I've sent several emails to Skoda reporting issues that customers face at their service centers. And that they need to focus on the service aspect a lot more. Once that's fixed, the sales numbers will automatically come in, for the kind of cars they build - most if not all. Only to be replied in the Skoda classic manner, "PLEASE TELL US YOUR VIN NUMBER AND WE WILL REVERT TO YOU." Almost like an automated system that responds to all emails alike.

Sigh! Depressing indeed. And interesting for the fact, that I can steal some accessories from the Scout for my Fabia.
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:08   #63
Team-BHP Support

Skoda these days has finally joined other manufacturers which try to fool us frequently with Limited Editions and Special Editions. I do not like their new all show no go approach, first it was the Laura vRS with just the cosmetic mods, a shame considering all other countries get full blown vRS. Then it was the Yeti 4X2, which to me is as pointless as it can get, if i ever buy the Yeti it will be for that brilliant AWD system along with other things. Now this Scout, with just the cosmetic changes, not even raised GC, AWD is asking too much.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:20   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relativity View Post
The driver told me no other car can do 1,00,000 miles without any engine repairs at this price point.
It's a shame they don't bring their real gems to India.
Quite a few of us here drive cars in this segment which are running reliably for more than 1,50,000 miles

No doubts about your 90Bhp Punto doing similar mileage , but then ,all that depends on how good /reliable your Fiat service center is . That is the reason , most of us stay away from Fiat cars ,but end up buying other brands with the same Fiat engines .

BTW ,no offence meant . The Punto 90 bhp has always been my favorite car on this side of 10 L INR

About the Skoda Fabia , I have always liked it more than the pathetic Polo . We have a Polo in the family , that recently had a clutch replacement at 1200 kms .And that too after 3 weeks at the dealership where no one had any clue on availability of spares . It was only after I posted on their FB page that things started moving .

Off late , I have been seeing increasing number of Fabias and Yetis on Bangalore roads . I was assuming that Skoda ,having been in the market since so many years , is finally getting it right .So I was surprised when I read that sales of the Fabia had actually dropped in March 2012.Wish Skoda had priced this car significantly lower than the Swifts. And dunno , why is everyone obsessed with the ugly new Swift and the new Dzire. Guess ,its MULs A.S.S

Last edited by speedsatya : 3rd May 2012 at 11:23.
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 11:15   #65
BHPian

I guess most of us would already have lost interest in this variant, but chanced on "http://goaonwheels.com/new-models/skoda-scout-launched-in-goa/" which has pictures of the actual vehicle in a showroom. Well, unless my eyes are playing tricks, Skoda seems to have deleted the rear wipe/ wash also. They had earlier deleted this from the standard Fabia also, but recently have fitted it back on the Elegance variant.

Edit: Unless I am wrong on the matter above, I would like to know what that cladding is made of- some gold alloy, maybe. Else, no way for a 90k or so premium and deletion of ABS and rear wipe/ wash!

Last edited by Yeldo : 8th May 2012 at 11:19.
Yeldo is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 18:28   #66
Senior - BHPian

What??? Is that the Scout?? Isnt the scout supposed to be a compact wagon?? More like this:

Name:  112.jpg
Views: 2397
Size:  24.8 KB

New Car Launch in India: Skoda Fabia Scout launch in Jan 2012!
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2012, 18:32   #67
Team-BHP Support

^^ International Scout looks like the pic you have posted but in India we get some accessories added to standard Fabia, that's it!
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 07:26   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Skoda these days has finally joined other manufacturers which try to fool us frequently with Limited Editions and Special Editions. I do not like their new all show no go approach,
Indeed. Tell me what you think after reading this. :P

SKODA India - If You Drink, We Drive campaign

I couldn't hold my breath laughing after someone shared this on my facebook timeline.. Haha. The paths Skoda treads to do the undone!
mempheS.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 19:36   #69
Senior - BHPian

So you ant to pay Rs. 9,30,000 OTR Delhi for this masterpiece called a gussied up Fabia scout without ACC, rear wash/wipe and defogger/ steering mounted audio controls and just for this cladding thingy? The interior is fabric.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs-20120521-18.25.21.jpg  

Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs-20120521-18.25.30.jpg  

Skoda Fabia Scout launched @ 6.79 lakhs-20120521-18.25.49.jpg  

sidindica is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 20:44   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
So you ant to pay Rs. 9,30,000 OTR Delhi for this masterpiece called a gussied up Fabia scout without ACC, rear wash/wipe and defogger/ steering mounted audio controls and just for this cladding thingy? The interior is fabric.
Thanks, sidindica for the images. The cladding I infer is made of ruthenium electroplated Element 79. So actually Skoda should have added another zero or two on the right of the price- tag.

Last edited by Yeldo : 21st May 2012 at 20:46.
Yeldo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 02:13   #71
BHPian

Skoda won't even manage to improve Fabia sales by 1% with this launch. Fabia no wonder is good looking, solid, typical European hatch but it's around for quite some time now & started to show its age. This was the wrong time to introduce Fabia Scout with a price point that gets into Rapid's/Vento's territory & its a 3 pot engine after all. In spite of being priced so high, it does not even half the features that an i20 has at a much lower price point. This is a wrong strategic move by Skoda who believed to get some more juice out of the Fabia Model, but are mistaken.
SrikantDora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:15   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrikantDora View Post
Skoda won't even manage to improve Fabia sales by 1% with this launch.
I would say FIAT has done a better job with their 2012 Punto by increasing GC & other small but useful changes like better AC, lighter grey & black interior, based on customer feedback.
Going by their market perception, they have atleast managed to maintain whatever small numbers they do month on month.

IMO Skoda's objective behind this would be something similar. Just maintain current numbers.
S.MJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2012, 13:47   #73
Senior - BHPian

Its subjective , for me the Fabia still had a pretty contemporary design and the last refresh which was given by the company helped greatly in that , i wished though they had retained the projector headlights , they look great on the scout.

But the more i read about the scout , the sadder i feel for it really , the company has just not given it enough of a pad to launch itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrikantDora View Post
Skoda won't even manage to improve Fabia sales by 1% with this launch. Fabia no wonder is good looking, solid, typical European hatch but it's around for quite some time now & started to show its age. This was the wrong time to introduce Fabia Scout with a price point that gets into Rapid's/Vento's territory & its a 3 pot engine after all. In spite of being priced so high, it does not even half the features that an i20 has at a much lower price point. This is a wrong strategic move by Skoda who believed to get some more juice out of the Fabia Model, but are mistaken.
puchoo is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2012, 14:58   #74
BHPian

I had a detailed look at the Scout recently while checking out the Rapid at Vinayak Skoda recently. While I loved the Rapid, the Scout is stillborn at that price. Patient brought to hospital Dead on Arrival. At least raised ground clearance would have given it a chance to make a case for itself. I see any on the road, and I'm reminded that god created people with lots of money, and lemons as well. The last I checked, a lemon cost Rs.4 a piece in the market in Bangalore. Now I really understand what that person who decided the price was thinking.
rpmx1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2012, 23:56   #75
BHPian

Does anyone else think of this as a successor to the Skoda Felicia? Notice how the last pillar is wide just like on the Felicia? The Felicia was meant to be a low-priced hatchback. And a 3-cylinder engine on a 6.8L car?

If all manufacturers sell their low-priced hatchbacks and sedans as luxury vehicles in India, I wonder why they would even bother selling overseas - they'd have better margins in India :-D
k_nitin_r is offline   Reply With Quote