Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 2nd May 2012, 13:41   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Mercedes SLS AMG : The fastest production car on the Buddh International Circuit

Hey guys, did you check this out? Mercedes-Benz is claiming to be the fastest on the BIC...
I don’t know if it’s true or not but this video I saw on their fan page seems legit.

Somewhere inside I knew it that the SLS AMG can work wonders on the track & till my googling goes, this seems to be a stock car.

Their blog post says so:
Recently, the SLS AMG gave undeniable proof of that fact. The lucky participants of the AMG Driving Academy held at the Buddh International Circuit were able to see the car in its true element when it set the lap record for the circuit at 2:16.57. The F1 track that not too long ago hosted its first Grand Prix had its fastest time blown away by the Roadster with AMG Driving Academy instructor, Norman Simon, behind the wheel.

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd May 2012 at 11:26. Reason: Removing 3rd smiley. Also changing the time from "2.1" to whats mentioned in the video. Thanks.
sanjeev.d is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 13:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fastest Lap on Buddh International Circuit

You mean the fastest production car - so far, right?

I guess the F1 laptimes would be in the 1:30's.

EDIT: Just checked. Fastest F1 Q-lap is 1:24.xx and the fastest race lap is 1:27.xx. So as fast as the SLS is, it will still get lapped in 4 laps in a race with F1 cars - just goes to show how fast F1 cars really are

Last edited by StarrySky : 2nd May 2012 at 14:01.
StarrySky is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:07   #3
BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes SLS AMG : The fastest production car on the Buddh International Circuit

if its 40s slower than the F1 car, then it'll be lapped every 2-3 laps, meaning by end of the race it would be 20-22 laps behind! :P
nipunkul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:08   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

EDIT: Just checked. Fastest F1 Q-lap is 1:24.xx and the fastest race lap is 1:27.xx. So as fast as the SLS is, it will still get lapped in 4 laps in a race with F1 cars - just goes to show how fast F1 cars really are
But the F1 cars will have to ride a flatbed/trailer to reach the circuit. Whereas the SLS can not only reach there on its own, but also take its owner to and from Work on the other days.
1100D is online now   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 10:15   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Mercedes SLS AMG : The fastest production car on the Buddh International Circuit

at 0:50 it appears that he braked very early and I feel he lost almost a second if not more.

Thoughts ?
anand_lukose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:05   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
at 0:50 it appears that he braked very early and I feel he lost almost a second if not more.

Thoughts ?

Thats part of the "slow-in-fast-out" technique. You slow down and then start building speed, mostly applicable to high powered rear wheel drives. Any slide of the rear end, and the resultant fight to gain traction, would make you loose not only fraction of a second at the apex, but also in terms of mementum/top speed in the next section.
1100D is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 11:32   #7
Team-BHP Support

There have been some much faster road-cars on the BIC already (Aventadors, 599s, Gallardos, 458s, etc), but i don't think any of them were going flat-out with a pro driver behind the wheel -- which is the only thing that is allowing Mercedes to flaunt this for the moment.

I wonder what the F10 M5 would do around the BIC (given that BMW //M just had them on there with some pro drivers).

Also Ferrari has had some cars on there (not sure who was driving) : Link + pics (I drove a C63 AMG at Buddh!! Mercedes AMG Driving Academy Launched)

Meanwhile here's a Audi R8 V10 giving it a spin at 2:23.00, with Gaurav Gill behind the wheel - as part of Overdrive's test :

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:12   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Meanwhile here's a Audi R8 V10 giving it a spin at 2:23.00, with Gaurav Gill behind the wheel - as part of Overdrive's test :
cya
R
Agreed. I guess if Gaurav didn't slide around so much he would have been much faster, probably faster than the SLS AMG. Amazing car control though!
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:12   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
I don't think so.

When i had gone for the AMG Driving Academy, they told us that the braking point on the main straight was the overhead signboard. Naturally, that was on the safer side of things, but you can see in the video that :

1) He braked at least 30+ meters after the signboard
2) He's going a lot faster down the straight in the SLS than we did in the C63 / E63.
3) See where Gaurav Gill started braking in the R8 - similar place. The R8 V10 touched 241 km/h on the straight -- in comparison, the SLS was going much faster at 250 km/h!

Could that corner be improved upon? Probably. But it didn't look like an error to me!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd May 2012 at 13:14.
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:29   #10
BHPian

I have always wanted to see a "power lap" board ala top gear. Wouldn't it be nice to see other supercar manufacturers going after the record. There are some members on T-Bhp who have direct contact with the head honchos of the supercar companies. They should try to urge them to set a fast lap. Would be great!

Is it possible for us members to maintain and update a lap time board? Would be quite interesting to follow it.
scuderiamania is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:01   #11
Team-BHP Support

In the right hands, cars like the Lamborghini Aventador, the Ferrari 458 can lap the Buddh quicker than the Mercedes SLS. Not saying that the SLS is slow. It just isn't designed to carve the track like the other two.

I'd like to see the time set by the black Porsche 997 II Turbo S in Mumbai.
suhaas307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

AMG has lost the finesse, now its more about big engines, hard suspension...they seem to have taken the american and easier route!!
shortbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

Mercedes Benz cars were never known for thrir on-the-edge handling, instead they were always deliberately toned down. Would agree that few AMG cars were just big engines and hard suspension, but then, we also have the "black series" cars.
1100D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2012, 13:18   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

True. F1 cars are incredible and even though the top speed via-a-vis the SLS isn't all that apart, the grip that they provide thereby affecting your cornering speeds and the incredible braking are what sets them apart. And the fact that they weigh 850 kgs (including driver).
Zkalra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 12:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Agree with Rehaan.
The only reason they are flaunting the time is they are probably the only ones who have bothered recording a timing with a pro driver.
IMO - Aventador, Gallardo, 458, 599 , R8 V10 with pro driver will all eat the SLS.
Sure gill timed 2.23 with the r8 v10 but am pretty sure she will go substantially quicker with a pro at the wheel.
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote