Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 11th May 2012, 20:06   #241
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Hello,

Has anyone recd any email from Tata - Fiat about this matter? I recd the attached today.

Attachment 926044
yeps. I got it as well. Good move to keep the existing customers informed. Unlike the last Fiat stint where they forgot that there were a few who actually bought and loved their 178/Uno cars.

I am pretty pleased with the Tata service as well. The question is, will the new service centers have the same SAs from the existing centers? If Tata stops servicing the Fiat cars, then the mechs/SAs trained by Fiat will have to be re-trained on Tata vehicles. The existing showrooms would already have enough SAs to cover their Tata requirements.
This means that either these SAs will be absorbed by Fiat or they will go jobless :(

Currently, there are at least 6 Service Centers in Bangalore (2 Concorde, 2 Prerana, 1 KHT, 1 Aadya)( Pls correct me if I'm wrong). The last I read, Aadya was opening up a Fiat only Service stn. But that will be far up in north Blr. What about the rest of the folks? Secondly, will the one service center be able to take up the load of 6?

While during the transition period, will Tata centers be step motherly to Fiat cars? To be honest, I do not know the answer. However, I guess the picture will get clearer when I go for my 3rd year service in June. Anyone else getting their car serviced meanwhile, could you please put in your feedbacks. It will give us a feeler on what to expect.
aqualeo2040 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 20:37   #242
tud
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

I just got the mail and I was about to upload it.
This was a really good move to keep existing customers in the loop, all though its a very diplomatic mail, we can expect a lot of surprises at the service station.
Hoping Fiat comes back with a bang in their 3rd innings!
tud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2012, 23:03   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post

If you are referring to that as a merit then it is agreeable and suzuki deserves success for reading the market right, their pricing has always been bang on. (Ertiga is the latest example) service availability has no comparison in India.
That, in my eyes, is one kind of merit. Most of India sees it that way and I don't think that's very wrong.

Of course, having a car that aims higher and doesn't want to murder its occupants at the first sign of trouble, is also merit. I choose on this set of merits, most don't but then I'm not representative of most of India anyway.

The fact is that in the eyes of the consumer, and of many consumers, Maruti is probably the most complete package - owning a car is not just about buying a car.

Fiat would do well do emulate some of their aspects - demonstrate commitment, invest heavily, correct perceptions, make promises and stick to them, and stop relying on a fan base to sell its cars.
cranky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2012, 19:00   #244
BHPian

I tend to totally agree with cranky.

This is an observation about automobile market in India i.e. a Microsoft like business works way better than Sun Microsystem types.
People knew that Sun products were class apart from Ms's and Ms is very well known for its low quality of systems and software, despite they are the leaders. Fiat is following the Sun way, thus they are closer to get doomed in analogy.
"Execution" is the key here. Words like "Build quality", "handling", "durability" etc. are secondary. If those were the primary requirements then PAL would not have the gut to launch Rio.. Also for that matter Tata would have been selling only trucks today.

There are just handful of people who actually can 'sense' quality. I have seen this sense missing in many people. (Slightly OT here) e.g. is those people replying to the "You have won a lottery" spam emails.

No offense, but I feel the same way about i10, Indica, Indigo and Safari customers ( I know many in my close vicinity).. Please take a chill pill for this statement, just my personal thoughts.
Speed Pujari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 00:07   #245
UKR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
While during the transition period, will Tata centers be step motherly to Fiat cars? To be honest, I do not know the answer. However, I guess the picture will get clearer when I go for my 3rd year service in June. Anyone else getting their car serviced meanwhile, could you please put in your feedbacks. It will give us a feeler on what to expect.
I have the same concern regarding quality of service and commitment levels. And there is reason to be concerned if a recent incident with the Fiat SA in Prerana motors Hosur road is anything to go by. I had done the second service there last year and the work was satisfactory. So I had called him up last month to inquire about the timing chain replacement that was being done by Fiat under warranty and whether I could get it done there for my Linea. He immediately shot back saying that for this work they would accept only those vehicles bought from them and that I can go to my dealer where I had bought it. I told that it was bought from Trivandrum and would have to drive down 750 kms if I am to get to them. But he was indifferent and suggested to check with Concorde where they might accept my car!! I called up Fiat customer care to report this and requested for a complaint to be raised, but the reply was that their system was down and hence couldn't take any complaints. Looks like the step motherly treatment has already started and more importantly there is no one who cares about it.
UKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 19:47   #246
BHPian

Newspapers, Billboards filled with news about FIAT after a long time.... Its great. Appreciate FIATs step to focus on strengthening its sales process. But when the company has invested so much in the country and definitely there is a huge potential to expand, why not FIAT open Company Owned Company Operated Service Stations atleast in all state capitals to start with. These should be adequately stocked with parts (probably the source to all other service stations in the state), have best technicians.... This should help the company directly understand the various issues on the cars and improve the whole product. Also will help assess the quality of service provided by the TATA service stations. This should also give the customers much required confidence to invest in FIAT products.

Hope atleast a pilot in all metros would be attempted.
tosathyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 14:58   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky View Post
That, in my eyes, is one kind of merit.
agreed,
All I wanted to say was Indians rate merit differently than Europeans.

It has nothing to do with reputation... Infact 3cylinder Polo selling in such numbers is a testament that Indians aspire for brands.

FIAT Service has a bad name in India and that is one of the reasons why they sell less cars, their cars are generally well built, by Indian standards, and nice vehicles overall. They have also addressed the fuel efficiency issue with the MJD.

I feel they need to tackle only two hurdles in India
1. Perception (very very difficult)
2. Service Quality and Availability(heavy investment)

I also have a doubt - Does FIAT sell over the counter spares? If no Why not?
Like genuine maruti parts, do we get genuine FIAT parts at authorised dealers?
Slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 18:12   #248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I also have a doubt - Does FIAT sell over the counter spares? If no Why not?
Like genuine maruti parts, do we get genuine FIAT parts at authorised dealers?
I think, Yes. I had taken some stuff over the counter directly from the spares shop at Concorde, Cochin. I remember getting a wheelcap, then a mirror assembly - none of the parts were major ones though.
binaiks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 00:11   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaiks

I think, Yes. I had taken some stuff over the counter directly from the spares shop at Concorde, Cochin. I remember getting a wheelcap, then a mirror assembly - none of the parts were major ones though.
I think recently they stopped OTC sales, I had to fight with people at RF Motors for a bottle of coolant. They were adamant that they will top up the car but not sell it over the counter. In the end I managed to get the bottle.
nkg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 15:16   #250
Senior - BHPian

Fiat will be launching the punto 90 hp in "sport trim" this Friday. The regular 90 hp will be discontinued. Will come in red, white and black and with decals, chrome exhaust tip etc. Putting this here because the news is yet to be confirmed.
sidindica is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 15:54   #251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Replied this mail and after that again there customer care is dead. Given two reminders in past two days. no reply !!!
They can at least tell me that its going to take xx days, please wait, but no they will ignore you because they have already sold the car . and less said about FIAT management, they are so busy selling 600 cars a month they have to block the customer email ids who are asking for help. Here at least tata is not blocking the mail, i would say.

To those who think part availability is not a problem.
I am complaining to left AC vent for past 3.5 years(i am not kidding, almost every service from 2nd service i have been asking them to change it) and still not response. Looking for 3rd brake lamp from past 6 months. Everytime the SA will tell me that he will call me back in one week time regarding when it will be available.

Now i went to a shop in GP road which had prominent FIAT logos and deals only in FIAT parts. I talked the the shop owner for a while and he told me that he has given order multiple times to FIAT but mostly send only 30-40% of the total order. There is also too much delay in delivering the parts and few parts have no supply for past 2-3 years. Hes planning to shift to some other brand. same story has been told me many times from tata service center, earlier i did not used to believe them but now i think all the parts availability problems are from FIAT only. The management is totally useless and unresponsive to the customer after selling a car.

Another update to this ordeal

below is the mail, losers at tata service have send me

"

Dear Sir / Madam,

Greetings from VST Motors!!

We regret the inconvenience caused to you

Please refer the discussion we had with you today in our workshop.

And You were visited our workshop the spares available also confirmed to you. But it will not come under warranty.

We have explained to you but you won’t accept to do the paid service and you didn’t gave the approval to do the work.

We once again regret the inconvenience caused to you.

Pls do contact the undersigned for any support

We assure you our best services always.

xxxxxx xxxxxxx

CRM-VST SERVICE STATION,

Mt.Road.

"

I have not visited the service center today, i have not talked to this person even on phone regarding this. This mail has been send keeping all persons in CC whom i have been communicating with regarding the problem.

For the problem i have given this person contact no by tata motors few days back. But i have booked a appointment for the problem, which is on 21st. I have replied this mail that all information is false and i have not visited the showroom.

Last edited by Rahulkool : 15th May 2012 at 15:57.
Rahulkool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 16:04   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Fiat will be launching the punto 90 hp in "sport trim" this Friday. The regular 90 hp will be discontinued. Will come in red, white and black and with decals, chrome exhaust tip etc. Putting this here because the news is yet to be confirmed.
The Sport is a Limited Edition 90HP to be launched in 3 Colors .

The Regular 90HP will continue.
FastLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 16:51   #253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLove View Post
The Sport is a Limited Edition 90HP to be launched in 3 Colors .

The Regular 90HP will continue.
Are you sure that it's Limited Edition? Punto T-Jet makes more sense for the LE version.
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2012, 18:22   #254
BHPian

My service experience with Tata dealers is mixed. Have tried 3 service centers in Thane/Mumbai area (Balaji Cars Thane, Fortune Cars Thane, Forture Cars Powai). 1st is the worst. 2nd one is OK. 3rd one is acceptable. Recently went for the 45K service for my Linea. Find the experience at my ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...jd-e-pack.html (Proud Owner - F. Red Fiat Linea MJD E-Pack)

IMO, the change is welcome. Hope FIAT handles the transition well.

Quote:
I am pretty pleased with the Tata service as well. The question is, will the new service centers have the same SAs from the existing centers?

In most Service shops, the so called FIAT SAs already handle Tata cars (not sure if its different in Bangalore). So, the SAs may choose to continue with the existing Tata dealership, that would impact FIAT, as FIAT would lose the knowledge/experience gained by those SAs over a period of time. They would have to start training new batch of SAs at the new dearlerships (unless they manage to retain/source FIAT trained SAs). Expect some teething problems to start with.

Quote:
If Tata stops servicing the Fiat cars, then the mechs/SAs trained by Fiat will have to be re-trained on Tata vehicles. The existing showrooms would already have enough SAs to cover their Tata requirements.
This means that either these SAs will be absorbed by Fiat or they will go jobless :(
Autocop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2012, 13:42   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocop
In most Service shops, the so called FIAT SAs already handle Tata cars (not sure if its different in Bangalore). So, the SAs may choose to continue with the existing Tata dealership, that would impact FIAT, as FIAT would lose the knowledge/experience gained by those SAs over a period of time. They would have to start training new batch of SAs at the new dearlerships (unless they manage to retain/source FIAT trained SAs). Expect some teething problems to start with.
How are the service personnel paid? I believe they are salaried. I think they would prefer to move to the Fiat service centre because they would be paid the same, but since there would be fewer cars to service at Fiat they would not have to service as many vehicles in a day. Fiat might get to choose the best of those available.

I also wonder if Fiat will bring more models into India soon, since maintaining a portfolio of two is not going to attract many investors in the A.S.S sector. They must require minimum volumes to be profitable, and even including all the old Sienas, Palios and Petras, there aren't that many to go around at the moment.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote