Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 20th May 2012, 23:24   #271
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Fiat India plans 80-100 dealerships in the next 18 months - The Times of India

Same News In TOI.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 10:23   #272
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

If this news reflects the focus of the top brass on Indian market, then it is good news. They have to follow through with their commitment by bringing in more models. No way are they going to increase their market share by another 1% by just having Punto and Linea in their line up

The biggest issue for them is that they do not have a car below the Punto that can be tweaked to cater to the lower end of the B2 segment (similar to the Figo - spacious, frugal and easy to maintain)

Even the above press note doesn't talk anything concrete about future model line up or whether they will bring in Chrysler. That's bad
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 10:28   #273
Senior - BHPian

A spacious car like the Panda with in 3.5 to 4.5 lakh range would increase their market share by a couple of percentage. I see it inccreasing from less than 1% to 3-5% with right planning and marketing in the next 2-3 years.
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 10:56   #274
Senior - BHPian

In terms of space the Panda would be a good option, but Fiat may not be able to price it in the range of Figo
mallumowgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 10:58   #275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
In terms of space the Panda would be a good option, but Fiat may not be able to price it in the range of Figo
I guess they can if they use existing bits from Punto and Linea with slight modifications. Remove a cylinder block and reduce the prices by 75000-80000
amtak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 11:05   #276
Senior - BHPian

With many of us questioning the business sense it makes in investing in a Fiat Dealership and about how hard it is going to be for Fiat to find dealers, guess how many applications Fiat India received ? - 300..!!

http://www.mydigitalfc.com/news/fiat-needs-12-18-months-begin-its-solo-journey-18
Quote:
...Atanasio said he was thrilled to receive 300 applications to open exclusive Fiat dealerships when the company announced parting of the ways from Tata Motors on May 2. “Even the majority of the 178 existing Fiat-franchised Tata dealers in 129 cities will open dedicated Fiat only dealerships across the country,” he said.

I'm sure everyone is looking at the bigger picture and with Fiat now talking about bringing in new brands, lot of people are willing to invest. This is a good sign Fiat. Please make the right moves now.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 21st May 2012 at 11:07.
fiat_tarun is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 17:46   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
With many of us questioning the business sense it makes in investing in a Fiat Dealership and about how hard it is going to be for Fiat to find dealers, guess how many applications Fiat India received ? - 300..!!
I hope Fiat look into this subjectively and consider all aspects of the applicants and their experience before finalising them as dealers.

If this exercise is conducted objectively then it will be a challenge for Fiat as they want the dealers to work for them not set rot from within.

No point in getting a dealer who sells only because he does not have any competition in town.

I think this is where Maruti, Hyundai and Honda to an extent do well. They have shoddy and suspect dealers but also a good dealership in the same town. So there is a better chance that business is transferred to another dealer than to another manufacturer.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 18:02   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I hope Fiat look into this subjectively and consider all aspects of the applicants and their experience before finalising them as dealers.
Yes, most definitely. The execution will be key. I'm sure the first option will be given to existing Tata-Fiat dealers in a city and if they refuse they might go ahead with somebody else.

One of the articles mentioned Millennium mobility (Pune) is setting up an exclusive Fiat service centre. I was wondering why Millennium became a Tata only dealer once they were appointed. Now it all makes sense..!
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 21:48   #279
Senior - BHPian

Got a letter of assurance from FIAT -
Attached Images

raj_5004 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2012, 23:41   #280
Senior - BHPian

A win-win situation for both Tata and Fiat.
Fiat.Now the operations in US (Chyrsler, Jeep and Dodge) streamlined and is profitable. The future product road map for next 3-5 years is finalized and production plans are under control. Small car platform of Dodge/Chyrsler in US is replaced with Fiat's, it is now time to focus on developing countries (read India). They will be able introduce more global models in India and around the world and resources (finance, and people) to do so.
Tata.Learned a lot from Fiat about small cars and technologies. That shows in its latest products. Tata needed this help to transform its passenger car division. Also it was able to recover fraction of money TM invested in Fiat thru the distribution of vehicles.
Now FIAT could take responsibility for its on problems, instead of blaming Tatas for its state in India and do some thing about it, with out approval from TM.
About the Fiat Cafe, in 5-10 years, i see more and more Auto retailing will be done in this format. Why would the dealer stock an inventory?. The saving in Inventory Carrying Cost can be passed to the buyer. The touch points will have the models on display and can arrange test drives. Order the car online or kiosks at the cafe and deliver the car to the dealer of your choice. Nissan successfully did this with its LEAF EV, many should follow this in the future.
teamveevee is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 02:57   #281
BHPian

What if Europe economy is in problem, especially Italian economy suffers in coming couple of years? What effect it can have on global scenario especially on Fiat India, starting another fresh inning.
Can anybody point out whether there is increase in sale offer of Fiat cars, resale value further going down?
HydroFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 13:27   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
What if Europe economy is in problem, especially Italian economy suffers in coming couple of years? What effect it can have on global scenario especially on Fiat India, starting another fresh inning.
Can anybody point out whether there is increase in sale offer of Fiat cars, resale value further going down?
Its precisely the European economy thats driving companies like Fiat to look at emerging markets like India in a different light. Now they are taking some concrete, decisive steps to up their game here. Initially the resale might be the same - as in low - however if they stick to their long term plans I have no doubt that in some years the resale value of Fiat cars are bound to notch up.
pavan15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2012, 14:28   #283
Senior - BHPian

I too got the "Letter of Assurance" from Fiat. It's a nice gesture from Fiat. Could not spot any spelling mistakes in the letter
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 12:38   #284
BHPian

Saw this news
Fiat to make a third attempt at gaining Indian automobile market share - The Economic Times

quoting ""The biggest car park of Fiat's existing customers in Asia-Pacific is in India. The biggest parts operation is situated in India and it has highest brand awareness in the Asia-Pacific region,", yet people in india have to wait endlessly for the parts to be replaced in their car.

I was told by TA** that timing belt for Palio 1.6 Sports has not yet come despite ordering...

Seems Antansio do not understand the ground situation. Im still running my palio 63K kms without any timing belt change. I need one as service interval specifies timing belt change for every 60K kms...
mahadev_kc is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2012, 13:37   #285
BHPian

So what will Fiat do if it fails the third time too (the chances for which are very high), will it pack up or again tie up with a local player?

Personally, I feel Tata should have sold Fiat cars under the Tata badge, with some sort of premium differentiation. That would have definitely brought in more numbers.
rrsteer is offline   Reply With Quote