Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 12th July 2012, 20:07   #316
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Does FIAT actually want to sell their cars? I've registered for a Punto MJD Test Drive on Fiat India website over the last weekend and haven't received any call back/ followup call yet. Strange ain't it. I already have a GTX and I am in the market for a Punto Diesel but they (fiat) don't care.
Radnam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 21:21   #317
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnam View Post
Does FIAT actually want to sell their cars? I've registered for a Punto MJD Test Drive on Fiat India website over the last weekend and haven't received any call back/ followup call yet. Strange ain't it. I already have a GTX and I am in the market for a Punto Diesel but they (fiat) don't care.
Fiat has got company. We have members complaining the same of other manufacturers, even members who don't get test drives after registering their number on a visit to the showroom! But, if Fiat was serious, they could have made the dealer call the requester. Or the mechanism is made corrupt by the dealer themselves who are not really interested in selling Fiat cars.

Leaving Fiat's commitment apart. On the other hand, if you are hell bent on test driving a Fiat, put a mail at the CEO's desk at Fiat -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Since I had booked online for TD of T Jet about 3 weeks back, I put a mail at the CEO's desk at Fiat. The reaction was instant and the territory sales incharge contacted me the very next day for a suitable time for the TD. I also received a mail from Fiat HQ. I was shocked to know later that the TD vehicle came from 250KM just for me.
thoma is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 21:27   #318
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is bit irritating. But, do get to know that when I was searching for a Diesel Sedan, I paid a visit directly to a Hyundai Showroom (Express Hyundai) in Chennai to TD the Diesel Verna. To my surprise, they told me that they don't have any TD vehicle for Diesel Verna. I did not get to drive one even after visiting the showroom directly. My point here is, there is no point in blaming Fiat for whatever they do or don't do .

If you are seriously considering buying a Fiat, it is better to call your location dealer and ask them for a TD.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 12th July 2012 at 21:29.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2012, 21:30   #319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radnam
Well in the days when the VW brand had some novelty and offers were not aplenty on their models, the VW dealer here, who was newly opened back then, did not bring us test-drive vehicles of Polo and Vento even after promising the same over phone twice. In contrast the Fiat salesperson brought us their test-drive cars multiple times.
After sales and service has been a different story, though!
one-77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 09:09   #320
BHPian

[quote=rameshnanda;2838035]This is bit irritating. But, do get to know that when I was searching for a Diesel Sedan, I paid a visit directly to a Hyundai Showroom (Express Hyundai) in Chennai to TD the Diesel Verna. To my surprise, they told me that they don't have any TD vehicle for Diesel Verna. I did not get to drive one even after visiting the showroom directly. /QUOTE]

Even I have the same experience. I have a santro and the dealership is known to me. Inspite of that I never got to TD the diesel Verna. This attitude of the dealer was very irritating and I have never considered the Verna again.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 10:26   #321
BHPian

Guys I have a very different experience from FIAT.

4 days ago suddenly "Check Engine Light" started glowing on my Linea. I did a scan and found O2 sensor malfunction as error code. It was either I needed to change the air filter or O2 sensor. I tried to procure both from Tata but to no avail.
I sent out a mail to Fiat i.e (service@fiapl.com) and within 30 minutes I got a reply back to send my vehicle number, service station and contact number. And in the next two hours I got a call from Tata Motors service station to give them a suitable time to resolve this issue.

FIAT takes service of their vehicles pretty seriously and they are pretty responsive but need the same kind of suporrt from Tata. I mean when you send a mail you do not get a standard reply like "Thank you for your mail. Your feedback is important to us , somebody will get back to you shortly. Instead we see wheels in motion.
vikrantj is online now   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 11:20   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
Guys I have a very different experience from FIAT.
That's true Vikrant. Last week I need to avail the RSA from Fiat for my blunder. Here's my experience in my ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2833527 (A Poetry on Wheels - My Fiat Linea MJD)

Two days later, I got a call from Fiat to get my feedback on the RSA and the promptness of service. They asked if I am very satisfied, Satisfied or not satisfied. I told them, I am very Satisfied .
rameshnanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 11:31   #323
Senior - BHPian

I have completely different experience to tell, i had some problem in my car regarding AC. I had send mail to various people in FIAT and TATA. Only reply i was getting was from TATA, after 2-3 conversation, all the FIAT people blocked my email :-/. At last it was tata service who resolved my issue.
Rahulkool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 11:51   #324
Senior - BHPian

From my family's experience this is too little too late. Fiat shot itself in the foot with a tie up with Tata, a brand that's hardly known for quality. I guess desperate situation led to desperate measures.

Having owned a Palio 1.6 GTX for over 10 years now, all I can say is that the experience with Fiat India's service centres - ranging from downright unpleasant to mediocre at best - has left us with a bitter taste. The car on it's own has been a pleasure to drive. The car has had its issues with spares. It is now given to a local garage who, though not able to match ASC standards of Toyota/Honda/Maruti et al, is reliable and cheap.

It's Fiat's loss as I doubt we'll be buying a Fiat car again. At least not until the after sales is at par with industry standards. Time will tell.
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 12:49   #325
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does FIAT actually want to sell their cars? I've registered for a Punto MJD Test Drive on Fiat India website over the last weekend and haven't received any call back/ followup call yet.
Perhaps it will sound strange, but its not that uncommon. I have a couple of examples.
1. A year or so ago, I contacted Hyundai, Maruti & Fiat for TDing the i20, SX4 MT and Punto. Hyundai didnt bother to call back and when I went to the showroom, they grudgingly showed me an i20 sandwiched between a wall and an i10. None of the doors could be even opened and they didnt give a TD either. I went to another dealer for a walkin TD, but the impression had been made. Maruti very promptly made one call and sent the SX4 AT. Not really useful either, but they were prompt in saying they didnt have a MT TD car. Fiat called thrice from different places (I think customer care, regional office and dealer) to confirm if I had booked a TD, but finally the dealer said that I had to come to the showroom for a TD. It doesnt help that Pandit Auto gives a barely 1 km TD which comprises 4 right turns as soon as you get out of the showroom.

2. A few weeks ago, I contacted Maruti & GM for Swift & Cruze (different purchases). There was no Swift or Dzire available for TD or demo with that Maruti dealer. For the Cruze TD, I had specified a dealer located next to my office, but got a call from someone located 15 kms across town. I refused the TD, will take it from near office when convenient. I dont understand how difficult it is for them to understand and follow specified preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
From my family's experience this is too little too late. Fiat shot itself in the foot with a tie up with Tata, a brand that's hardly known for quality. I guess desperate situation led to desperate measures.
This is unfortunately a known story for Palios. Fiat did bungle up big time. But if you speak to anyone in a Fiat showroom, you will understand their eagerness at avoiding a repeat of this scene with the Punto/ Linea and whatever else they launch here later this year.
While Tata may not be known for quality, they do fix issues that crop up. Fiat cars are fantastic, which I am sure no one disputes here, but I also understand that the Palio nightmare is offputting. I wish Fiat were able to convince us otherwise.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 12:58   #326
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
This is unfortunately a known story for Palios. Fiat did bungle up big time. But if you speak to anyone in a Fiat showroom, you will understand their eagerness at avoiding a repeat of this scene with the Punto/ Linea and whatever else they launch here later this year. .
I hope so too selfdrive..it's really sad to see a great car let down by its own manufacturer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
While Tata may not be known for quality, they do fix issues that crop up. I wish Fiat were able to convince us otherwise.
Oh believe me I have no issues whatsoever with Tata's service for their own models. My bro's 2002 Safari was treated very well and it was truly service with a smile. There was no hesitation whatsoever on part of Tata or the auth service centre to replace or adjust any malfunctioning part.

BUT when it came to Fiat - it was a different story right from Sales ('Saar why do you want Fiat, bahut problem hai spares mein! Tata ka no questions asked spares replacement milta hai. Aap fikar mat karo') to after sales service. Fiat was a like a step child. Very regrettable seeing a bunch of cars that can run circles around any Tata car to be treated this way.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 18:09   #327
BHPian

Its not good to curse fiat for attending to the customers woes .Be it Hyundai ,or for that matter newer entrants are equally placed in this regard.
Moreover the standing Tata-Fiat jv is something which hinders and to an extent discourages the pre sale and after sales services .
The industry bench mark of providing the td is seldom followed by other car makers ,though i did test drive punto before buying one.
Now the HYUNDAI didnot have any EON for test drive ,what they brought to my place is the car intended for me .
So ,I would give my thumps up to fiat despite the hiccups in after sales services
regards
praveen singh
blueblooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 23:44   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Tata's service for their own models. My bro's 2002 Safari was treated very well and it was truly service with a smile. There was no hesitation whatsoever on part of Tata or the auth service centre to replace or adjust any malfunctioning part.

BUT when it came to Fiat - it was a different story right from Sales ('Saar why do you want Fiat, bahut problem hai spares mein! Tata ka no questions asked spares replacement milta hai. Aap fikar mat karo') to after sales service. Fiat was a like a step child. Very regrettable seeing a bunch of cars that can run circles around any Tata car to be treated this way.
I am not sure we read too much between lines. I totally understand why the sales person said that. But there is no logic why a service person should differentiate between Tata or Fiat.
teamveevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2012, 23:49   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamveevee View Post
I am not sure we read too much between lines. I totally understand why the sales person said that. But there is no logic why a service person should differentiate between Tata or Fiat.
I don't believe I said the service centre would differentiate on paper. But it would in reality as the service centre load would be heavily tilted in favour of Tata vehicles compared to their sorry European 'cousin'.

More Tata vehicles sold thru a dealership means they make more money from sales + service of those cars/vehicles. Low selling Fiat cars are seen as an overhead. All this from personal experience @ a pretty large dealer in Pune. We gave up on going to Tata dealers after that.
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2012, 18:48   #330
BHPian

Let’s hope this time FIAT does all the right things.
In the thread “FIAT’s a.s.s. let the real owner speak” http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-speak-21.html (FIAT's A.S.S, let the real owners speak.) post number 302 clearly indicates that the new models Bravo and Panda are soon going to be launched. That’s really good news for FIAT aspirants. So Bravo shall be launched in India (My PCs Bravo screensaver, which I never bothered to change for last many months must have had its effect also ).
Launching Panda I think is right step as there was no model below Grande Punto.
As a common man IMHO FIAT should do the following things:
1. Please put that FIRE engine in museum, it is outdated compared to the competition. (same is case with other manufacturers like Skoda, Volkswagen who have not yet introduced TSI like engines)
2. Develop and introduce the 1.2 TJet engine and use it in Grande Punto and other smaller cars to be launched with different power output (without charging premium for that).
3. Re-launch the successful Palio with revamped interiors with 1.2 TJet engine, the platform is very relevant even today.
4. Recruit the previous FIAT technicians wherever possible.
5. Improve AFTER SALES SERVICE, because as the saying goes “well diagnosed is half cured”, in case there is any issue.
FIAT top brasses must be working on it, but still my points.
HydroFuel is offline   Reply With Quote