Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 9th January 2013, 11:03   #526
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

I think Bangalore is getting another FIAT showroom near Domlur. Good news for FIAT lover of Bangalore.
Today morning I saw one showroom with big Punto poster and opening/coming soon message. Its on starting of inner ring road, near to Domlur fly over.
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 11:50   #527
BHPian

Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Hi delhites

The wait for fiat exclusive setup shall be over soon
As per senior fiat official in nxt 1.5 months there are 3 setups expected in delhi ncr
1 in greater noida and 2 in okhla and west delhi

Cheers for FIAT
Thanks Namit. So as per my understanding, I guess they'll be an offshoot of / converts from current TATA dealerships:

1) Noida: Oberoi Motors
2) Okhla: Rama Motors
3) West Delhi: Tuli Motors, Raja Garden

The one that I visit - Autolinks, Vasant Kunj doesn't seem to be in the picture. Me and my father have good relations with service advisers at this centre as for the past 6 years we have visited to get my Indigo (now sold) and dad's Sumo Grande MKII serviced. It is always full of TATA cars and wished they opened a separate centre to service FIAT cars.
jessie007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 12:28   #528
BANNED

Any one know if there is a plan for Gurgaon or in around south west Delhi ?, I go to ABS motors ( as I bought from them) all the way to Hero Honda chowk but since My next service is due after Warranty, I would like to get service around Vasant Kunj area.
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2013, 12:39   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
I think Bangalore is getting another FIAT showroom near Domlur. Good news for FIAT lover of Bangalore.
Today morning I saw one showroom with big Punto poster and opening/coming soon message. Its on starting of inner ring road, near to Domlur fly over.
Yes, That is KHT Motor's Fiat showroom. I was in talk with KHT fiat Sales Guy on second week of Dec'12 for buying Linea ( was expecting some bulk discount), But did not happen eventually.

Even I have talked with him yesterday and he has confirmed that, By Jan'13 end , New showroom will be open.
double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 02:17   #530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessie007

Thanks Namit. So as per my understanding, I guess they'll be an offshoot of / converts from current TATA dealerships:

1) Noida: Oberoi Motors
2) Okhla: Rama Motors
3) West Delhi: Tuli Motors, Raja Garden

The one that I visit - Autolinks, Vasant Kunj doesn't seem to be in the picture. Me and my father have good relations with service advisers at this centre as for the past 6 years we have visited to get my Indigo (now sold) and dad's Sumo Grande MKII serviced. It is always full of TATA cars and wished they opened a separate centre to service FIAT cars.
Not necessarily in that fashion bcoz one thing for sure Tuli motors no way neither deserves nor r they rated highly by Fiat mngmnt

Oberoi is a certainty bcoz of there existing association via fiat caffee operations
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2013, 10:02   #531
BANNED

Fiat has opened their first exclusive dealership in Noida Ph. 2. Its Kashyap Fiat, AD is Hindustan times.
jacksons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 08:27   #532
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Fiat is planning to open up 100 dealership before the end of 2013 and is targeting opening 70 of them before end of March 2013. Also on the cars is the launch of sporty Punto Abarth as per the news report. Link attached.
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/17967841.cms
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 08:35   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by namit View Post
Not necessarily in that fashion bcoz one thing for sure Tuli motors no way neither deserves nor r they rated highly by Fiat mngmnt
Does it really matter how they are rated by Fiat Management? It's not as if dealers are going to rushing in to get a Fiat Dealership. Fiat barely sells any cars.Their attempts have failed multiple times. If they are looking for dealers, I think they would have to pretty much accept whoever wants to be a Fiat Dealer and has the resources.
carboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 09:29   #534
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Does it really matter how they are rated by Fiat Management? It's not as if dealers are going to rushing in to get a Fiat Dealership. Fiat barely sells any cars.Their attempts have failed multiple times. If they are looking for dealers, I think they would have to pretty much accept whoever wants to be a Fiat Dealer and has the resources.
Not really, what you have written is exactly the opposite of what is happening. They are serious to whom they are awarding the dealerships and there are a whole set of guidelines that must be met to get a dealership.

I cannot divulge more details on this, but let me assure you its very difficult to meet a few of those stipulations set by FIAT.

Lets see how it actually turns out in reality.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 09:36   #535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Not really, what you have written is exactly the opposite of what is happening. They are serious to whom they are awarding the dealerships and there are a whole set of guidelines that must be met to get a dealership.

I cannot divulge more details on this, but let me assure you its very difficult to meet a few of those stipulations set by FIAT.

Lets see how it actually turns out in reality.
I am not saying they are not serious. What I am saying they aren't in a position to be discriminating. People who have the resources to setup a dealership are also pretty discriminating.

Long back, I wanted a girlfriend who looked like Katrina Kaif. I was highly discriminating. Unfortunately, she also was very discriminating and wanted a boyfriend who looked like Salman Khan - so it didn't work out for me.

Dealers who are able to meet difficult stipulations will be able to get dealerships from a car company which actually manages to sell a few cars.

Last edited by carboy : 11th January 2013 at 09:56.
Old 11th January 2013, 09:59   #536
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does it really matter how they are rated by Fiat Management? It's not as if dealers are going to rushing in to get a Fiat Dealership. Fiat barely sells any cars. Their attempts have failed multiple times. If they are looking for dealers, I think they would have to pretty much accept whoever wants to be a Fiat Dealer and has the resources.
Last few times, they wanted to launch the Palio or Uno which were directed at making an entry into the market.
This time it is different. They have not only the Fiat brand to launch and revive, but also 3 premium brands - Jeep, Chrysler and Abarth which will be entering the country. Needless to say, their criteria for dealer selection will be different, and from what I heard, Fiat was flushed with a lot of applications from prospective dealers.

Quote:
I am not saying they are not serious. What I am saying they aren't in a position to be discriminating.

Long back, I wanted a girlfriend who looked like Katrina Kaif. Unfortunately, she wanted a boyfriend who looked like Salman Khan - so it didn't work out for me.
Boyfriend and girlfriend scenario is, in my opinion a very bad example to compare with . Fiat is a billion dollar MNC with arms and tentacles spread all around the globe in different sectors, and dealers are their selling agents with investment power of say, max 10-15 crores. They can select whomever they feel might sell their cars well. Its not as though they are a local electric bike company like Yo-Bikes which is trying to take its first step.

Quote:
Dealers who are able to meet difficult stipulations will be able to get dealerships from a car company which actually manages to sell a few cars.
If they sell a lot of cars (like Maruti dealers), the per-car profit/commission will be low for the dealers, not many dealers will like that. Becoming dealers for mass market cars doesn't guarantee huge success or profitability. In fact, they are always under pressure to meet the targets/ high demand and are arm-twisted by the mass-selling companies most of the times. They (car makers) dump stocks, set unachievable targets and don't reimburse/replace dead stock like damaged cars, etc. There are dealers who look beyond arrogant mass-selling car makers and want to carve a niche elsewhere.

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th January 2013 at 10:07.
KarthikK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 10:13   #537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Last few times, they wanted to launch the Palio or Uno which were directed at making an entry into the market.
This time it is different. They have not only the Fiat brand to launch and revive, but also 3 premium brands - Jeep, Chrysler and Abarth which will be entering the country.
How is Chrysler a premium brand?
Also didn't Fiat already have premium cars like Fiat 500 earlier.

Quote:
Fiat is a billion dollar MNC with arms and tentacles spread all around the globe in different sectors, and dealers are their selling agents with investment power of say, max 10-15 crores.
There are a lot of other Billion dollar MNCs with arms and tentacles spread all around the globe - like Ford, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagon etc. So why would a dealer want to go with Fiat over any of the above?

Quote:

They can select whomever they feel might sell their cars well. Its not as though they are a local electric bike company like Yo-Bikes which is trying to take its first step.
Yeah. But they aren't competing with Yo-Bike for dealers. They are competing with Companies which are at least as big as them and at the same time already have a far better track record than them. I am sure Yo-Bike dealers may more than eager to get a Fiat Dealership.

Quote:

If they sell a lot of cars (like Maruti dealers), the per-car profit/commission will be low for the dealers, not many dealers will like that.
There are a lot more brands which lesser than Maruti but far more than Fiat. However, if a dealer is hell bent on not selling much, Fiat is probably a good choice
Old 11th January 2013, 11:22   #538
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In a country where beige interiors and a boot can make a car 'premium', I don't see why they can't establish Chrysler here in the upper segments. Of course, its not going to be a mass-seller. The brand is relatively unknown here, and how they establish/market the brand will determine its success relative to the competition in whichever segment it lies. It is not for me to decide about 'premium'ness of any brand, and it is not related to the intent/topic of this thread.

Quote:
Also didn't Fiat already have premium cars like Fiat 500 earlier.
Where was the marketing for this car? Non-existent. Even if it had marketing, since we were talking about CBU hatches, how many Mini Coopers and Beetles do we see on the roads? All of these were, are and will be market duds anyway, as long as they are CBUs.

Quote:
There are a lot of other Billion dollar MNCs with arms and tentacles spread all around the globe - like Ford, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagon etc. So why would a dealer want to go with Fiat over any of the above?
Because they
1. Were already Fiat dealers who were happy with the way the company dealt with them, in spite of the comparatively low sales.
2. Believe in the vision/roadmap that Fiat has conveyed to them for the next 4-5 years and beyond, and they want to be a part of that growth wave (if it happens).
3. (Dealership owners) themselves are enthusiasts who want to be associated with the Italian brand and its subsidiaries for its enthusiast-products, rather than sell boring A->B commuter cars like everyone else.

Quote:
Yeah. But they aren't competing with Yo-Bike for dealers.
I mentioned Yo bikes as an example, because Fiat is in the auto industry for 100+ years now and is a well known brand which doesn't need to be 'desperate' and beg for dealers. Sorry if my post was understood differently. I didn't mean to compare company-to-company with an electric cycle maker who wants to be 'heard' or else risk dying.

Quote:
They are competing with Companies which are at least as big as them and at the same time already have a far better track record than them.
True. They have lagged behind in many departments, ranging from Marketing, advertising to servicing, and paid the price. Now they want to pick themselves up and give it another shot, which I don't see anything wrong with. Like I said before, perhaps the dealers believe in the roadmap of Fiat to continue staying with them.

Quote:
I am sure Yo-Bike dealers may more than eager to get a Fiat Dealership.
If they have the investment power and meet Fiat's stipulations/requirements for a dealership, I don't see why not.

Quote:
There are a lot more brands which lesser than Maruti but far more than Fiat. However, if a dealer is hell bent on not selling much, Fiat is probably a good choice
Here's a recent press release
http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/f...#ixzz2Hddzklcu

Quoting an important portion from it:
Quote:
At the corporate strategy meet in Mumbai, Fiat made it amply clear that it only wants to cater to the enthusiast market of India. Fiat believes that ‘Petrolheads’ constitute 24% of car buyers in India and the Italian automakers will only focus on them.
If dealers want to be associated with an enthusiast-focused brand over the next few years, their priority is obviously not just sales numbers.

Last edited by KarthikK : 11th January 2013 at 11:27.
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 11:35   #539
BHPian

While the news that FIAT is trying to focus on petrolheads exclusively is heart-warming, i can't help but wonder why they don't want to look at making used of their renowned diesel technology. Unless they know something about upcoming Govt. plans to deregularize diesel or levy more taxes on diesel cars.

Nonetheless, Punto Abarth in 2013 is absolutely mouth-watering!!!
paliontile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2013, 14:16   #540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not saying they are not serious. What I am saying they aren't in a position to be discriminating. People who have the resources to setup a dealership are also pretty discriminating.
Firstly, if they were not serious they would not set stipulations in the first place and give every tom dick n harry a dealership. Quite a few applications (people who owned other delearships who sell a lot of cars in Bangalore) were rejected because they did not meet the requirement set by FIAT. I dont think one of the stipulation is definitely "Not selling any cars"

Quote:
Long back, I wanted a girlfriend who looked like Katrina Kaif. I was highly discriminating. Unfortunately, she also was very discriminating and wanted a boyfriend who looked like Salman Khan - so it didn't work out for me.
This is a sad example to compare with dealership applications scenario of FIAT and a girl friend selection you mentioned. Dealership is a business and will need stipulations whereas girlfriend thing is different and you know there will be one way communication most times and the other person will only be in a postion to receive instructions.

Quote:
Oh really, then dealers who sell BMW, Audi, Volvo, Merc and other brands which sells only a few hundred cars will need not worry about any requirements set by the manufacturer, because these requirements need to be met only if you sell a set number of cars.

Quote:
On a land where Honda, Hyundai, Toyota, Skoda can become premium brands in India why not Chrysler. It depends on how they strategize and get market acceptance.

Quote:
Yes, agreed there are a lot car makers which makes cars for the masses, whereas there are a few other car makers which like to cater to the niche segments, so whats wrong in it.

FIAT can never be a manufacturer like Maruti to sell in large numbers and will never be. I dont see anything wrong in it.

Last edited by nkrishnap : 11th January 2013 at 14:19.
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote