Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2014, 13:32   #1021
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Here is my experience with Ramkay Fiat service, Perungudi, Chennai. I went to them for general service once, and a bad dent on the underside of the chassis once (function of roads I drive on, going through a waterlogged road I hit a stone... it was causing some noise when driving). Both times they were quick and efficient in dealing with the car; I had to leave it there but both drop-off and pick-up got done reasonably efficiently, I thought. The other day, however, I had to replace my left ORVM (just the mirror, the rest of the unit was fine) -- it should have been a five minute job, but they kept me there for 45 minutes because the "system was slow". Another guy waiting there was really losing his cool with them. Finally they checked out the part (it took over half an hour), but then kept me waiting again for the bill, until (after my pressing them) they made a manual invoice instead. I'm sure a "slow system" is as frustrating to them as it is to the customers, and if it is a regular occurrence (it was with Concorde Motors earlier) Fiat really needs to fix this.
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 12:59   #1022
BHPian
 
riturajsharma19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: AS 03
Posts: 129
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

After the TATA-Fiat split up, Fiat owners here in Assam are going through a hellish experience. Now, the only dealership/service center in the state, Green Valley Fiat has closed down leaving the entire state with not even a single dealer or service center. Now what are current owners like me supposed to do? Everytime I post a feedback on Fiat's FB page or through email, this is the reply I get -

Thank you for the communication, deeply regret the inconvenience. Fiat network team is in process of opening new exclusive dealerships in your mentioned area as well all over India. It will take short time to get the new dealerships. If it get open we will inform you by Mass media.

Not that Fiat cars are really reliable or something. For more than a year, I had to confine my drives to a ~50km radius due to numerous issues with the car and Fiat just chose to ignore complaints and this is a Punto that I am talking about, not the earlier Palios or Unos.
riturajsharma19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 13:34   #1023
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 56
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Members, please help me out of my dilemma here. Did my last couple services from Pandit Bavdhan. No major problem as such. Overall experience was satisfactory. For the next (3yr/45k) service, SkyMoto Akurdi is calling up repeatedly for an appointment. Was wondering whether I should try their service this time.
Has anybody been to SkyMoto? If yes, what was the experience like? Any updates here will be really helpful.
deoelect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 14:24   #1024
BHPian
 
Biraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NCR
Posts: 545
Thanked: 967 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
After the TATA-Fiat split up, Fiat owners here in Assam are going through a hellish experience. Now, the only dealership/service center in the state, Green Valley Fiat has closed down leaving the entire state with not even a single dealer or service center. Now what are current owners like me supposed to do?.
This is horrible. If Fiat sold cars in that region, they should be responsible enough to support the customers. First they launched a half-baked partnership with Tata and then realised it wasn't working, now they expect the customers to bear with it. If they aren't able to find anyone willing to take a dealership, they can at least try a mobile-service unit which can cater to basic servicing or collaborate with some local multi-branded service center to offer customised service to Fiat owners. I understand there will be operational or logistical challenges but at least it will communicate the right intent.

Edit: I know Fiat India follows the comments on Team-bhp more intently than the posts on their FB page, thus trying to share one more feedback through Team-bhp. In places where you (Fiat India) have dealers, can you please ask them to go a bit easy with follow-ups? I get two calls per week from Oberoi and 1-2 per fortnight from Kashyap. All the calls have the same scripted pitch - Sir, do you own a Fiat vehicle? How many kilometers has it done? Is it running fine? they sound disappointed when one says all is fine. I have been asking them to stop the follow-up calls, and telling them that I will contact the dealership if I require any support. Their response is that they can't remove the number from their database and they have multiple CREs so, can't guarantee that the calls will be stopped. Guess, it's time to start reporting the numbers to TRAI.

Last edited by Biraj : 15th July 2014 at 14:32. Reason: Adding one more rant
Biraj is online now   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 15:12   #1025
BHPian
 
prakash_ajp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 718 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
Members, please help me out of my dilemma here. Did my last couple services from Pandit Bavdhan. No major problem as such. Overall experience was satisfactory. For the next (3yr/45k) service, SkyMoto Akurdi is calling up repeatedly for an appointment. Was wondering whether I should try their service this time.
Has anybody been to SkyMoto? If yes, what was the experience like? Any updates here will be really helpful.
I can't help you with any useful info about SkyMoto, but my advice is: Why fix something that's not broken? These days it's hard to find service stations that don't make you sorry for going to them. So, I will say stick to the current one!
prakash_ajp is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 15:21   #1026
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

I agree with prakash_ajp. Stick to what works, unless you have a good reason to change (eg location, timings). Also, I don't like to encourage unsolicited phonecalls. If SkyMoto is calling repeatedly, I'd suggest telling them to stop!
rsidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 16:27   #1027
BHPian
 
lapis_lazuli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Zilla Ghaziabad
Posts: 440
Thanked: 429 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
The other day, however, I had to replace my left ORVM (just the mirror, the rest of the unit was fine) -- it should have been a five minute job, I'm sure a "slow system" is as frustrating to them as it is to the customers, and if it is a regular occurrence (it was with Concorde Motors earlier) Fiat really needs to fix this.
I have noticed this as well: if they have to "find" a part which can be replaced as is, with no warranty claim/labour charge etc, their system becomes very slow. They are just not interested in doing miniscule business. In your case the mirror only, costs around 150INR IIRC. I had actually noticed it in a particular ASS: while they were giving "slow" excuse to a customer, the Manager was generating "invoices" for big values, really fast. It was end of day, almost 1700 hours, I could understand the speed! So this "system slow" and "printer not working" are deliberate tactics in most cases. Please ask to see for yourself how "slow" it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Not that Fiat cars are really reliable or something. For more than a year, I had to confine my drives to a ~50km radius due to numerous issues with the car and Fiat just chose to ignore complaints and this is a Punto that I am talking about, not the earlier Palios or Unos.
As I have said earlier, their automated responses are as rich as their spares warehouse stock
Your case, Rituraj, probably, your "mistake" was to buy a "complicated" diesel Punto in Assam. I think you should have running spares stocked from some ASS in Kolkata or Delhi maybe, and rely on the experience of a middle aged, sincere and intelligent local mechanic, whom you have known for years. Get her up and running once, and I doubt it will fail you, if you maintain her well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
collaborate with some local multi-branded service center to offer customised service to Fiat owners.
.
Perfect!

About the rest of your rant, I couldn't agree more.

Slight OT : There is yet another round of silent spare parts price increase happening even as we rant! Have you noticed Fiat doesn't enforce its "cheapest to maintain" (or whatever) statement anymore? (For example, the pollen filter, has risen from 174 to 209 INR). 20 percent....Thats not some exotic part we are talking of! Please check for other parts as well. Somebody told me, the standard labour rate chart we saw at Kashyap, has been removed as well! Can anyone confirm? This means, probably labour charges are set to increase as well!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 15th July 2014 at 16:35.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 16:36   #1028
BHPian
 
riturajsharma19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: AS 03
Posts: 129
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Your case, Rituraj, probably, your "mistake" was to buy a "complicated" diesel Punto in Assam. I think you should have running spares stocked from some ASS in Kolkata or Delhi maybe, and rely on the experience of a middle aged, sincere and intelligent local mechanic, whom you have known for years. Get her up and running once, and I doubt it will fail you, if you maintain her well.
If I look back, buying the Punto indeed seems to be a mistake that I had made, especially after cancelling a Ritz booking. Going with the Ritz would have at least given me peace of mind. However, back in 2011, my decision was dictated by the extensive presence of the erstwhile TATA-Fiat network.
riturajsharma19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 17:01   #1029
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 210
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post
Your case, Rituraj, probably, your "mistake" was to buy a "complicated" diesel Punto in Assam. I think you should have running spares stocked from some ASS in Kolkata or Delhi maybe, and rely on the experience of a middle aged, sincere and intelligent local mechanic, whom you have known for years. Get her up and running once, and I doubt it will fail you, if you maintain her well.
+1 on this. Find a good local mechanic, and for spares, try 99rpm.
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 17:19   #1030
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 776
Thanked: 687 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
After the TATA-Fiat split up, Fiat owners here in Assam are going through a hellish experience. Now, the only dealership/service center in the state, Green Valley Fiat has closed down leaving the entire state with not even a single dealer or service center. Now what are current owners like me supposed to do?

Rituraj - I see that you are in Jorhat. We lived there couple of years back & got our Fiat Uno serviced by the garage opposite the Maruti showroom, on the opposite side of rail tracks, I forget the name. I will try to find out & get back to you.

He took care of our car very competently for 2+ years & managed to source the parts whenever needed. It helps that he owns a few Fiat Unos in his family

Its not authorized Fiat, but you can give him a try.
gsurya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2014, 18:21   #1031
BHPian
 
riturajsharma19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: AS 03
Posts: 129
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsurya View Post
got our Fiat Uno serviced by the garage opposite the Maruti showroom, on the opposite side of rail tracks, I forget the name. I will try to find out & get back to you.
Its not authorized Fiat, but you can give him a try.
That garage is called Oriental Motors. It used to be an authorized Fiat service center during the pre Tata-Fiat days.I got the 4th service done there itself. They stock running spares from the dealership at Guwahati. Now that the dealership is closed, I wonder where they will get the spares from.
Buying spares from 99rpm isn't an issue, however, they haven't resumed stocking linea/punto spares. Once that happens, the situation will get comparatively easier for me.
riturajsharma19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 17:16   #1032
BHPian
 
Sommos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bhilai, CG.
Posts: 984
Thanked: 674 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
That garage is called Oriental Motors. It used to be an authorized Fiat service center during the pre Tata-Fiat days.I got the 4th service done there itself. They stock running spares from the dealership at Guwahati. Now that the dealership is closed, I wonder where they will get the spares from.
Buying spares from 99rpm isn't an issue, however, they haven't resumed stocking linea/punto spares. Once that happens, the situation will get comparatively easier for me.
Don't you have a Fiat dealer at Dimapur, Nagaland; I thought it would be closer to Jorhat than Guwahati.
Sommos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2014, 18:39   #1033
BHPian
 
riturajsharma19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: AS 03
Posts: 129
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Don't you have a Fiat dealer at Dimapur, Nagaland; I thought it would be closer to Jorhat than Guwahati.
Let alone Assam, there is now no dealer/service center in the entire north-east.
riturajsharma19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 00:36   #1034
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 83
Thanked: 46 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

Quote:
Originally Posted by riturajsharma19 View Post
Let alone Assam, there is now no dealer/service center in the entire north-east.
Its horrible that FIAT is not even concerned about owners, let alone improve their ASS. Although my Palio Stile 1.1 has not let me down even once, I am never going to buy a FIAT again. There is not a single service center in NCR that had the AC thermostat in stock.
So much for their independent ASS network.

I hope you find a good FNG and keep sourcing parts from 99rpm.

OT - Wish you had bought that Ritz, Maruti's are relatively trouble free, easy to maintain and have good resale value too, which is a bonus.
bruiser is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2014, 21:04   #1035
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: Fiat revvs away from Tata dealerships. To set up its own distribution network

As an owner you are right in expecting any and all parts to be readily available but then it is not so at all times even at OEMs with the best supply chain logistics.

My Swift was stuck at MSM Okhla for the want of a rear door lock, it took them better part of a fortnight to get it and the less said the better for certain parts of our old '96 model Zen. I have had to wait eons at times for them and then some.

Given their vehicle population and that of the service centres, I feel Fiat is doing a nice job. I specifically remember them staring a campaign earlier this year supporting the Palio. Then again an AC thermostat is not a part that would be on any OEMs regularly consumed parts list, so one is not surprised that it is not in stock. Now for the dealer to be proactive in getting that for you from Ranjangaon or Italy via Ranjangaon is another matter.

In this regard you could get in touch with the service manager of Oberoi Fiat in Sector 63, Noida. This gentleman is a Retired Wing Commander from the IAF and his workshop has been supporting numerous old models of Fiat such as the Siena Adventure, Uno as well as the Palio. Do not limit yourself to talking with the CRE/CRM, Stores guys, SAs etc etc but insist on talking to this particular gentleman. In case they are too far, then get in touch with J. Tuli @ Tuli motors in Wazirpur industrial area. Now this guy is the co owner and is available on the shop floor on a daily basis, the other partner being his brother who looks after sales and again available in the showroom/stockyard daily. I have found both of these dealerships to be quite proactive in ordering parts etc etc.

As for whether you buy a Fiat again or not, that's purely your personal prerogative but I for one would definitely buy a Suzuki again even though they did make me wait for better part of the day because they ran out of spark plugs for my 2008 model Swift.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
Its horrible that FIAT is not even concerned about owners, let alone improve their ASS. Although my Palio Stile 1.1 has not let me down even once, I am never going to buy a FIAT again. There is not a single service center in NCR that had the AC thermostat in stock.
So much for their independent ASS network.

I hope you find a good FNG and keep sourcing parts from 99rpm.

OT - Wish you had bought that Ritz, Maruti's are relatively trouble free, easy to maintain and have good resale value too, which is a bonus.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fiat increasing spare part availability in all its dealerships mints21 The Indian Car Scene 33 12th April 2014 18:39
Nissan India wants its own dealerships, Hover says NO! EDIT: R-I-P Hover GTO The Indian Car Scene 50 9th April 2014 14:48
2011 i10 Asta A/T - its Korean, its new, its fast, its red, and its coming. nirupesh Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 1 8th January 2011 10:45
Fiat mulls separate distribution network airbender The Indian Car Scene 5 13th October 2010 21:24
Revvhead Revvs off Revvhead Shifting gears 16 8th September 2005 14:09


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:05.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks