Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 8th May 2012, 12:59   #91
BHPian

Default Re: April 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Anybody any ideas how big is the Maharashtra market for the car industry. The increase in sales tax here starting this month would definitely affect sales going forward.

I shudder to think how the next couple of months sales come out.

Cheers
Old 8th May 2012, 18:23   #92
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajat View Post
@ GTO: Thanks a lot for putting up all the hard work and bring in all the numbers.
You are most welcome

Quote:
Why are Chevrolet Aveo (Sedan) numbers consistently so appalling? As a package it doesn’t look as bad as the numbers speak of.
Aveo has Korean roots, so is definitely reliable. However, the overall package is too old & dated. No diesel, and the petrol motor is pretty lacklustre.

Quote:
Is the spike in Honda Jazz numbers due to pending deliveries being fulfilled or does it have other reasons attached to it as well?
Honda Jazz numbers are not representative of demand at all. It's all dependent on supplies, which Honda apparently restricts because of thin profit margins (after the price cuts). The wonderful hatch that has completely failed due to a botched up strategy & operations. Honda is running blind for the last 2 years.

Quote:
Especially 6 Evo Xs is 6 months and 0 in last two months seems shocking to me.
Even as an enthusiast, I would buy the BMW 530d over the EVO X. The Mitsu wasn't as exciting a drive as previous generations of the car and is grossly overpriced (touching 65 lakhs on the road!!). A Porsche costs not so much more.

Quote:
While the Fiesta Classic still clocks decent numbers, why the New Fiesta fails to deliver inspite of being a promising package?
Value : In favour of the ol' Fiesta, and against the new. Though Ford is now giving heavy discounts, it's very difficult to rejuvenate a product that has gained a reputation of being overpriced. Interest in the new Fiesta died down the minute prices were announced. Also, the City, Vento & Verna are clearly superior cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Anybody any ideas how big is the Maharashtra market for the car industry. The increase in sales tax here starting this month would definitely affect sales going forward.
For most manufacturers, it's the No.2 (after the NCR region).
Old 9th May 2012, 11:08   #93
BHPian

Almost all manufacturers have dropped numbers in April 2012 as compared to March 2012. This is probably because the manufacturers have pushed up their dealer shipments in March 2012 to avail pre-budget taxation benefits. This has resulted in an inflated March numbers and deflated April numbers. So, the sales figures of last two months may not truly reflect consumer demand.

One should wait for May 2012 sales figures to spot the real winners and losers.

That said, Swift is doing awesome numbers and it is a great car too.

Last edited by amateurpro : 9th May 2012 at 11:10.
Old 9th May 2012, 16:01   #94
BHPian

@GTO: Is it possible to get variant wise bifurcation?
Suppose i need to know the variant wise sales of the Hyundai Fluidic Verna.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:59   #95
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Just out of curiosity: GTO, you had mentioned earlier that Ertiga is not worth of spending that much amount over Swift. Are you seeing Ertiga as a VFM car now?
Nope, I sure as hell don't see the Ertiga as worth the money over a Swift or Dzire. If I'd to buy a car, it would be the hatchback or the sedan. My statement in the analysis post was more on mass market opinion, and how most other people see the Ertiga as VFM. You should see how my comment was countered on the Ertiga launch thread.

Yes, I did become more receptive to the Ertiga after Viddy's review. Still, I insist it's neither a spacious 5 seater nor a proper 7 seater. I'd probably throw away the 3rd row seat if it ever came in my hands, and give that additional room to the middle-row occupants. And if I needed a 7 seater, it would be either the Innova or Xylo.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 15:22   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Yes, I did become more receptive to the Ertiga after Viddy's review. Still, I insist it's neither a spacious 5 seater nor a proper 7 seater. I'd probably throw away the 3rd row seat if it ever came in my hands, and give that additional room to the middle-row occupants. And if I needed a 7 seater, it would be either the Innova or Xylo.
Agreed but the fact that remains that Ertiga is a hatch with added flexibility of 2 more seats.
In a family with more than 5 members, this can be a single car for all purposes.
You can drive this car to the office and yet plan for a dinner or even a holiday with your family members.
With a normal hatch this flexibility is quite restricted while a MPV like Xylo is too cumbersome and crude for single use. Hatchback like fuel efficiency is the added benefit.

Why exactly will people opt for a Jazz when the Ertiga can do almost everything like the honda with the distinct advantage of an extra seat and diesel engine !
Turbokick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 15:28   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
while a MPV like Xylo is too cumbersome and crude for single use.
Slightly OT:

I have been reading such statement across the forum. Why is an MUV or SUV cumbersome to drive? I have been driving a Scorpio and Innova within city for the past 7 years and never ever have I faced any issues managing it in traffic nor while parking. Yes, it does take up more space than a regular hatchback, but it has never happened that I did not find a slot to squeeze my MUV/SUV.

And I infact I feel its easier to drive an MUV/SUV in traffic when compared to hatchbacks, due to their tall stance and good visibility.
Old 10th May 2012, 15:37   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Why exactly will people opt for a Jazz when the Ertiga can do almost everything like the honda with the distinct advantage of an extra seat and diesel engine !
Ofcourse the free revving I-Vtech is the differentiator! I think Honda engines are the only reason why they are still able to sell their cars in this diesel mad nation
Old 10th May 2012, 15:37   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Slightly OT:

I have been reading such statement across the forum. Why is an MUV or SUV cumbersome to drive? I have been driving a Scorpio and Innova within city for the past 7 years and never ever have I faced any issues managing it in traffic nor while parking. Yes, it does take up more space than a regular hatchback, but it has never happened that I did not find a slot to squeeze my MUV/SUV.

And I infact I feel its easier to drive an MUV/SUV in traffic when compared to hatchbacks, due to their tall stance and good visibility.
What I exactly meant is the controls are definitely on the heavier side and ofcourse the turning radius + amount of space they consume while parking consumes more estimating power.
Hatches are definitely easier to drive than MPVs.
Though I agree that tall stance helps in good visibility.
I checked the Eritga and it should take slightly more space than what Jazz takes to park.
Xylo or Innova are full sized MPVs and are much bigger.
Old 10th May 2012, 15:40   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
...My statement in the analysis post was more on mass market opinion, and how most other people see the Ertiga as VFM...
Thanks GTO, for the detailed explanation.

But while you say "if I need a 7-seater, I'll buy an Innova or Xylo", I will change it as "if I need a 7-seater, I'll hire an Innova or Xylo". Because, I need a 7-seater only occasionally, and not all time. For short distance 7-seater requirements, I still can use Ertiga. Why I need to lug all that mass when I don't need it?

Quote:
In a family with more than 5 members, this can be a single car for all purposes.
That's the sentence to describe the Ertiga!

Ertiga is one compact yet "spacious enough" car for all purposes.

Last edited by romeomidhun : 10th May 2012 at 15:47.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 20:30   #101
BHPian

In what way is Verna better than Vento/Rapid, City and Fiesta? Beats me, especially given the bumpy ride at the rear. Hyundai's CRDI badge doing it all, I guess..

Ford seems to be not bothered much by the steady but sure decline of the Figo. They need to reignite this gem of a car.

Ertiga has taken off and how! Maruti is king of all compacts - be it compact hatch/sedan or even compact MUVs! They should stop pretending not and give a much needed farewell to likes of Kizashi. Shame on SX4 - even with a diesel and auto options, its on its death march.

Last edited by Equus : 10th May 2012 at 20:32.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:42   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
In what way is Verna better than Vento/Rapid, City and Fiesta? Beats me, especially given the bumpy ride at the rear. Hyundai's CRDI badge doing it all, I guess..
The Verna offers all the goodies that a normal sedan buyer is looking for:
1. Super efficient & silent engine.
2. Plush interiors.
3. The widespread network of Hyundai A.S.S

Just came to know today that Hyundai is offering the reverse camera feature in all the variants of Verna, now how do you beat that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Ford seems to be not bothered much by the steady but sure decline of the Figo. They need to reignite this gem of a car.
Lets wait & watch if the The Ford midnight sale on 13th May could have helped ignite the sales of Figo, would be clear in the May 2012 figures.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:59   #103
BHPian

Great compilation GTO. Helps us understand the current Indian buyers demands a lot. However, sad to see the Brio sales going down in comparison to the Swift. I believe its a very well packaged car with a terrific brand image and had hoped it would do better.
But comparitively, if we consider that 20% of Swift sales was Petrol, then the total Swift P sold in April would be approx 3896 units whereas Brio sold 3590. Not bad I guess Wonder why can't Honda do what Maruti did - reuse Fiat's 1.3L multijet engine (national engine) rather than go on and make their own diesel engine spanning almost 2 years.
Old 17th May 2012, 07:23   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Tata Motors, the Indian owner of Jaguar Land Rover, is poised for its steepest fall in more than a year after the company's luxury car unit reported the lowest sales in nine months.

Jaguar Land Rover(JLR) sales fell 31% in April from March, the steepest monthly decline since at least November 2009.

Jaguar Land Rover sales down 31% in April: Report - The Economic Times
Old 17th May 2012, 07:30   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick

What I exactly meant is the controls are definitely on the heavier side and ofcourse the turning radius + amount of space they consume while parking consumes more estimating power.
Hatches are definitely easier to drive than MPVs.
Though I agree that tall stance helps in good visibility.
I checked the Eritga and it should take slightly more space than what Jazz takes to park.
Xylo or Innova are full sized MPVs and are much bigger.
I used to think the same as Raj when I had the Scorpio. However, once I got the Yeti I experienced a different planet entirely in terms of steering, parking, handling, dynamics, comfort and whatnot. I no longer am plagued by back aches and neck aches the way I used to be in the Bolero and Scorpio on account of their wallowy handling on bad roads. God willing I don't want to have to go back to things like the Scorpio or it's ilk. I am absolutely sure that the more modern cars are much better to drive and handle than older technology vehicles.
Cheers.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread