Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 8th September 2012, 13:50   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Does Figo still carry the VFM tag among the Diesel cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Figo is a great car but you cant compare it to the ney Swift. The new swift is better than the Figo in all aspect except Handling where I feel Figo has a slight advantage. Or may be I am biased towards its low slung body.
Most of us feel the same. More than handling & body roll, its the steering feel which is a big differentiators IMHO. I would say chassis is up there with the Ford/Fiat. I have really pushed the new Swift. I miss the cocooned effect though. The outside noise, stays outside. (I am trying my best to not sound biased )

Quote:
Other than that Swift is miles better. The engine has a lot more grunt. It is more refined. The gearshift is slicker. The interior quality is a lot better and most importantly it looks fresh. The Zdi version has no shortcommings. Yes the Figo may be a bit more spacious, but then there are a lot of equipments missing.
I frankly find the interior quality up-to mark. On rest points I do agree.

Quote:
Having said that I think Figo is still the car to but if you dont want a Swift for some reason. The main thing Figo lack is a good powerful refined engine. The 1.5 TCdi can turn the tables. I hope Ford has plans to introduce it in the Figo.
The Figo needs a better engine, yes. Even the Swift should have the SX4's 90PS engine. There is no dearth of need of more power. I said it specifically about me.

I feel that as an all rounder Swift fares better. Sales figure too prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Yes, I got a reason not to buy swift due to its Braking problems at low rpms. One of the person in MSIL has agreed that New 2011 Swift does not pump sufficient vaccum to the brake boosters at low rpms. So while we reverse or drive in bumper to bumper traffic in half clutch, if brake is pressed 4-5 times, the brakes become very hard and will not brake.
The ZDi has no braking issues, period. In my circle there are two ZDi's and I keep swapping the Cars. One has done over 10,000kms & the other is somewhere at 1,500kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Have you experienced this with the VDi or the ZDi?
As said, ZDi has no issues. Haven't driven the new Swift in petrol or V/L variants with the diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
HighOctane is right, but I think it is only the L and V variants which suffer from the 'weak brakes' syndrome. And the problem is more pronounced in petrol variants than in diesels, due to lesser vacuum being generated in petrol variants. After this issue was reported by moralfibre and a few others here on team-bhp, I test drove the ZDi and tested for this braking issue repeatedly; couldn't find anything wrong anywhere with the ZDi's brakes. I've never done a test drive with the ZXi new version, guessing it should not suffer too much due to bigger boosters.
Isn't it more pronounced in the diesel variant? Yes, the ZDi has no issues what so ever and after reading moral's thread, I urged my friends to go in for the Z variant despite waiting periods & putting up more money up-front.

OT : You decided on your Car?
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 17:52   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel
OT : You decided on your Car?
Sorry for OT: His heart is on Scarlet Punto 90HP !
HighOctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 18:07   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The one advantage for Sohc is it weighs less and lighter engine & less complicated require less efforts and fewer moving parts to turn one camshaft.
You are right saying it weighs less. It also has lower friction. But the advantages of DOHC overrules its drawbacks.

Quote:
Swift has dual overhead camshaft. The main advantage if Dohc is that it incorporates four valve per cylinder, two intakes & two exhausts.
You dont need a DOHC to have 4 valves per cylinder. 1.3L swift, Honda city 1.5 are such examples.

Quote:
Where is the bluetooth connectivity? Boot space just 210 ltrs compared to Figo's 284 ltrs
You have aux & usb brilliant sound quality. 4 speakers + 2 tweeters. You cant ask for all. Les boot space, thats right. But then you have more headroom.

Quote:
Not lot of equipments, just rear power windows, head rest for rear seats. Auto climate controls, but for that you need to pay 1.02 L more for ZDi
I think you missed alloys as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
They sales are better as it is a Maruti product not just because it is a good product. If Swift was launched by Fiat it would still sell a handful.
oxyzen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 18:53   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen

You dont need a DOHC to have 4 valves per cylinder. 1.3L swift, Honda city 1.5 are such examples.

I think you missed alloys as well.
Yes Honda is master of variable valve timing - Vtec on SOHC

Titanium comes with Alloys since Nov 2011.
Old 8th September 2012, 18:56   #140
Mik
BHPian

@Oxyzen: The Figo Titanium got an upgrade in late 2011. It has alloys and it also has USB. Frankly, the music quality on the Figo is superior to most OEM stuff of other manufacturers in the same price bracket.

Ultimately, it boils down to what one wants from a car.
If you want lots of gadgets and features along with excellent city credentials: i20 is incredible VFM.
For me, the single over-riding factor was the fun-to-drive factor so i was left with only three options this side of 8 lakhs.
Figo Titanium Diesel, Linea Tjet+(after the discounts) and the Punto 90HP Sport.

A bit OT, my wifey gave approval for all three. She just asked me - which one do you really want.
The answer was TJet+ in my heart - but practicality and then more importantly, VFM kicked in and i picked the Figo. Doesn't mean that my heart doesn't skip a bit if i see a Tjet on the road
Mik is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 22:43   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Precisely the reason I said sales figure too... The product is good & with MUL, the sales are bound to hit the ceiling.
Quote:
They sales are better as it is a Maruti product not just because it is a good product. If Swift was launched by Fiat it would still sell a handful.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2012, 23:51   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
@Oxyzen: The Figo Titanium got an upgrade in late 2011. It has alloys and it also has USB. Frankly, the music quality on the Figo is superior to most OEM stuff of other manufacturers in the same price bracket.
Is it? Then it is great.
Music quality is decent not good. The one on swift is good. Trust me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
Ultimately, it boils down to what one wants from a car. For me, the single over-riding factor was the fun-to-drive factor so i was left with only three options this side of 8 lakhs.
Figo Titanium Diesel, Linea Tjet+(after the discounts) and the Punto 90HP Sport.
Good choice.
Might I ask to add Swift ZDi and Rapid Base (diesel) model as well. At least go for a TD in both before finalizing.

Quote:
Precisely the reason I said sales figure too... The product is good & with MUL, the sales are bound to hit the ceiling.

Last edited by oxyzen : 8th September 2012 at 23:53.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 00:10   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Music quality is decent not good. The one on swift is good. Trust me.
@Sheel: You have driven New Swift and Figo. Please comment on Music system, if swift's Nippon is better or Figo' Kenwood is better.

Last edited by HighOctane : 9th September 2012 at 00:15.
Old 9th September 2012, 00:33   #144
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Might I ask to add Swift ZDi and Rapid Base (diesel) model as well. At least go for a TD in both before finalizing.
Thanks. I had taken an extensive test drive of the ZDi as well, twice - from different dealers (once in the rain - ABS worked pretty well). It didn't make it to my top three choices because of the turbo-lag, slightly tamer throttle response and handling compared to the older Swift(my perception - could be off the mark) and the constant feeling of it being overpriced compared to the competition.
5 consecutive weekends were spent in various showrooms test driving everything apart from a Skoda and Volkswagen. Somehow, the negativity associated with the showroom and A.S.S stories put me off. Also, ABS and airbags were mandatory features for me which the base models don't have.
Mik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 00:52   #145
Senior - BHPian

Sep-Oct could be VFM months for the Figo. With the refresh around the corner, there are discounts to be had. Even on the diesel variants. I am hearing discounts in the range of 30K (factoring in corporate discount).

On the other hand there is vague visibility around Swift ZDi deliveries (4-5months). Plus zero discounts.

These couple of months the Figo Titanium will be around 1.2L cheaper than the Swift ZDi. IMO a nice time to get one, since the refresh does not really seem to promise much in terms of feature addition.

Last edited by shuvc : 9th September 2012 at 00:55.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 09:10   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@Sheel: You have driven New Swift and Figo. Please comment on Music system, if swift's Nippon is better or Figo' Kenwood is better.
I found them to be even. Honestly. Nothing which would really differentiate between the two.

Quote:
Sep-Oct could be VFM months for the Figo. With the refresh around the corner, there are discounts to be had. Even on the diesel variants. I am hearing discounts in the range of 30K (factoring in corporate discount).
True that.

Quote:
On the other hand there is vague visibility around Swift ZDi deliveries (4-5months). Plus zero discounts.
Three instances where the ZDi was delivered in 10 days flat. Yes, some cash exchanged hands, but thats it...

The topic has taken a new turn, from being a VFM to being compared with the Swift. I believe none of the Swift owners are battling it out here, but few Figo owners are sweating it out. The Figo is a good buy at the price it comes & if I had 1L more, the 90HP would be it. No questions asked.

If the Car was overpriced, no one would have waited for 6 months as there are alternatives. A bit of herd mentality works as well.
Sheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 09:18   #147
Senior - BHPian

If I were to buy a diesel hatch today, I would buy Figo.
I agree that the interiors are not up to the mark;but if one can live with it, the savings can be invested in a petes box for extra power.

Swift makes 75 BHP, Figo makes 68 BHP, just 7 BHP.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 09:45   #148
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, Ford has started giving this discount for Figo, starting from end-August. The offer is still on. The discount is Rs 28,000/- on diesel Titanium. The corporate discounts and other things remain on top of that! No other car manufacturer has any discount on their diesel models.
Now, that makes it a really VFM car as long as the offer lasts. Even otherwise.
My luck, just a day after I got the delivery of my Liva GD, the Figo offer started!!!
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 10:13   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Work on the equiliser and get the bass & trebele to max in both & see the difference for yourself.

However that should not be a big deal. The Head unit if Figo is fine. Change the front Speakers to components and you are good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
If I were to buy a diesel hatch today, I would buy Figo.
I agree that the interiors are not up to the mark;but if one can live with it, the savings can be invested in a petes box for extra power.
I agree whole heartedly. A petes box is must with Figo. But still it cant match up to Swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Swift makes 75 BHP, Figo makes 68 BHP, just 7 BHP.
It is the torque that matters. ANd torque is up in Swift by 20%. Thats a lot.

Last edited by oxyzen : 9th September 2012 at 10:17.
oxyzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2012, 13:03   #150
Senior - BHPian

Further update : Apparently it's not 30k ! Around 40k+ discounts are possible including corporate discount ! So till stocks run out in a month or so, the Figo Titanium could be 1.3L cheaper than the ZDi. That too with almost immediate delivery.

Sure shot VFM compared to any other similarly spec'd diesel hatch.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote