I will remove it before the deadline (DIY) 62 7.64%
I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 9th July 2012, 14:20   #331
BHPian

Default re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Spotted a traffic constable clicking a snap of my Getz on his digital camera near ITC flyover. It was a straight road and AFAIK I was following all the rules, except for the tints.
Refreshing the BTP site to check if there are any fines against my car!
Old 9th July 2012, 14:36   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Default re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgement

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Spotted a traffic constable clicking a snap of my Getz on his digital camera near ITC flyover. It was a straight road and AFAIK I was following all the rules, except for the tints.
Refreshing the BTP site to check if there are any fines against my car!
yep, almost all junctions now have a cop carrying a digital P&S. it is easier in case of a dispute and less hassle for them. i've seen them using this primarily for people jumping signal though.
Old 11th July 2012, 22:01   #333
BHPian

Any news about the verdict? Or is the verdict on 19th July? What will the court do? Has the ruling been challenged or is the court reviewing it due to the public re action?
Old 11th July 2012, 22:21   #334
BHPian

I was fined 100 rupees last week at Calicut for tinted glass. Haven't taken them off though.
The same cop had charged me 400 bucks for speeding at the same spot last month.
Frustrated because our cars have very light tint and I was doing just 80 kmph on a straight stretch on a very good road. They were stopping people at random and many others who were more serious offenders were not being stopped. :(

Last edited by one-77 : 11th July 2012 at 22:26.
Old 12th July 2012, 08:52   #335
BHPian

Spotted cops in EC near by 3M office building yesterday. An 10 was pulled over and cop was pointing to the tinted windows. Car was driven by a lady and she handed over her license to cop. So i think it was for sun film. Guys going towards EC please beware.
Old 12th July 2012, 14:36   #336
BANNED

just got an update on the FB page of a group who is petitioning against the ban.

'Yesterday's hearing of the P.I.L's filed could not come to any conclusion and now the next hearing is on 19 th July 2012 at 14:00 . If no decision is taken on that day then this case will come under (Pending Petition) cases and then leave all hope for at least 2.5 years that this decision will be reverted"
Mindgrinder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2012, 14:58   #337
Senior - BHPian

Yawn.
People are still following the case?

Guys understand this is India.
Traffic police have kept quiet since for them its a cheque which they can encash anytime.
Like times of festival and so on.

Let the courts drag their feet, let people bribe their way out and let traffic police make some side money.

Sad but true.
Old 12th July 2012, 15:04   #338
BHPian

Ban on tint films in vehicles: SC to hear review petitions on July 19 - The Times of India

Check the link,
Old 12th July 2012, 15:06   #339
BHPian

I am eagerly waiting for 19 July for the first hearing of the petition against SC verdict. I am avoiding places where I know cops are there to welcome me. I hope the SC verdict changes and atleast 70-50 rule is in place.
Old 12th July 2012, 20:02   #340
Senior - BHPian

I Feel there should be a stay-order on 19th. Film Manufactureres would definetly "push" internally and we should see a stay.

Anyway, even if this cash cow (fines) is lost, I regret to say that they average Motorist (Non-TBHPians) does NOT follow traffic rules and there is enough fine money waiting to be collected, even though the Sun film rule may be put on "Stay".
Old 12th July 2012, 23:50   #341
Senior - BHPian

Was stopped on the SH between Gundulpet and Mysore for checking. Saw a lot of out station cars being challaned, looks like the cops want to make a quick buck before the stay order comes in place
Old 13th July 2012, 08:44   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
I Feel there should be a stay-order on 19th. Film Manufactureres would definetly "push" internally and we should see a stay.

Anyway, even if this cash cow (fines) is lost, I regret to say that they average Motorist (Non-TBHPians) does NOT follow traffic rules and there is enough fine money waiting to be collected, even though the Sun film rule may be put on "Stay".
Taking that though a little further, I would like to add that there is no reason for the cops to not challan the people driving with dark films even after the stay order. That would show to the world that they are really sincere in curbing down the menace ( as projected in the initial PIL ) and would ensure that people stick to the films that meet the legal requirements. But then you can also call me over optimistic...
Old 13th July 2012, 11:02   #343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Spotted cops in EC near by 3M office building yesterday. An 10 was pulled over and cop was pointing to the tinted windows. Car was driven by a lady and she handed over her license to cop. So i think it was for sun film. Guys going towards EC please beware.
yesterday again there were cops checking for tints, but they were selective. there were two cabs in front of me and they let them pass and caught only the private vehicles!! this is daylight robbery!

Name:  _MG_6925.JPG
Views: 1100
Size:  140.3 KB

Name:  _MG_6924.JPG
Views: 1100
Size:  106.6 KB
Old 14th July 2012, 22:49   #344
BHPian

My luck almost ran out today. Was going to a regular check up for my pregnant wife. To my surprise, I was stopped near the crowded Tidal park signal. There was no place to even park the car. The policeman told me that SC has banned sun films and it should be removed. We were already running late for our appointment and removing the sun film at that point was not possible at all.

I politely told them, that I knew about that order and will remove it after July 19th review. He told me that there will be no review and it should be removed now. He seemed a bit polite though, so I told him that I will remove it, but we have an appointment with the doctor for my pregnant wife and we can't afford to waste time here. He looked into the car and was confused on what to do. I was ready to pay the fine, when he told me to carry on, and asked where I had to go, and warned me that on the way other police will be checking so remove it asap. I couldn't believe my ears, thanked him and just rode off.

On the way and back I kept to the right most lane, saw two more places (Santhom & Adyar signal) where police were checking for sun films. On the way back a beemer (which overtook me a few seconds back) was stopped by police at Santhom. Guess it was my lucky day. I can't imagine travelling without sun films in chennai, waiting for July 19th, till then, the car stays in the garage.
Old 17th July 2012, 14:31   #345
BHPian

On my way to the office at the junction before Delmia circle, there were at least 5 cops stopping cars with sun films. On spot fine of 100 with challan. A couple of drivers tried to step the pedal and speed, were pictured doing the getaway! For once I felt good for removing the sun films.

What was even surprising was a couple of smarties were tagging along the cops ready with blades and water spray bottles to get into action!

Last edited by sumathindra : 17th July 2012 at 14:32. Reason: edits
Closed Thread