I will remove it before the deadline (DIY) 62 7.64%
I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 3rd August 2012, 17:55   #436
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

I think once you remove the sun films you will forget everything about the ruling etc.

I guess SC has connected the VLT rule and the no modifications to the vehicle rule. Well done.

I wonder how many times this case was adjourned, postponed to a future date etc like all other cases. But then there were no contesting parties to this case at all. Again well done.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 18:32   #437
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
Even more reason why they should have thrown the rulebook at cops and asked them to enforce the existing 50/70 visibility rule.
That rule should be read with the no-mod-to-the-car rule and then the SC ruling would make sense.

Quote:
Now after a two month lull, everyone will wake up again and try to work on a rule that nobody wants. Not the cops nor the common man.
Cops love such rules - helps them make money if everything else is in order. Regarding the common man, not everyone who owns cars puts on films (would be 50:50 at best). So just because some of us who put on films don't like the rule, does not mean everyone has a grudge against it.

Quote:
You and I would usually be aware of the rules and will most of the times have installed legally permissible films after asking the installer 10 times if it is withing legal limits.
Ignorance of the law would not be allowed as an excuse. You asked for legal films (if there is something like that ie - SC says such a thing does not exist), he gives what he "thinks" is legal. Does not absolve us when the cop pulls us over.

With people putting on jet-black tints without bothering about visibility and resultant danger to others or driving with hi-beam on because their blacked-out rear-screen won't let in hi-beams, it was high time some order was brought in.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:16   #438
BHPian

For the first time today, I was stopped at General Hospital Jn, TVM for using sunfilm.

I've been holding out for all this time, but it may finally be time to have them removed.

Bye bye, 6000 bucks....

Last edited by pillainp : 3rd August 2012 at 20:18.
Old 3rd August 2012, 20:50   #439
BHPian

So, the cops have started their hunt for sunfilms within TVM city, and finally its time to get them removed. Feeling so sad to imagine my hard earned money rolling on the floor.

Bad time anyways.
Old 3rd August 2012, 21:24   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillainp View Post
For the first time today, I was stopped at General Hospital Jn, TVM for using sunfilm.

I've been holding out for all this time, but it may finally be time to have them removed.

Bye bye, 6000 bucks....

It seems that it started in Trivandrum also.

Mr.Pillai, was your Sunfilm darker than normal?
Old 3rd August 2012, 21:27   #441
BHPian

It was the medium Llumar.

Not very dark at all. You could see clearly into and out of the car.
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:31   #442
BHPian

I understand that we live in a digital age but looks like that SC has taken evenything in Black and White literally. There are shares of grey in real life and they should have allowed these acceptable shades to exist on cars as well.
Time to call Anna
Old 3rd August 2012, 23:53   #443
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I understand that we live in a digital age but looks like that SC has taken evenything in Black and White literally. There are shares of grey in real life and they should have allowed these acceptable shades to exist on cars as well.
This is exactly the problem in India, in all sections and types of the policy makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Time to call Anna
And this is exactly that Anna can't help with his my lokpal only agenda.

I wish the Supreme Court building was a glass house (for transparency sake!), they'd have had a good view of the nearby India Gate as well.
Old 4th August 2012, 09:52   #444
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

So finally we have a clear mandate from the courts. No films or VLT of any kind over safety glass. That means no sun films, no UV films, no raise up in built curtians/nets not even newspapers to block the sun.

I wonder who is making money in the above senario? Auto manufacturers to charge heavily for in built uv glass?

With this ridiculous ruling, the honorable court is very capable of banning sunglasses tomorrow, saying the police cant see your eyes, to check if you are a potential crimminal or not :P
apachelongbow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 10:01   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
So finally we have a clear mandate from the courts. No films or VLT of any kind over safety glass. That means no sun films, no UV films, no raise up in built curtians/nets not even newspapers to block the sun.

I wonder who is making money in the above senario? Auto manufacturers to charge heavily for in built uv glass?

With this ridiculous ruling, the honorable court is very capable of banning sunglasses tomorrow, saying the police cant see your eyes, to check if you are a potential crimminal or not :P
Court interprets laws. It does not make them. The laws are made by the people we elect.
Old 4th August 2012, 10:15   #446
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoombiee View Post
Court interprets laws. It does not make them. The laws are made by the people we elect.
Agreed. The law stated that there should be unrestricted visibility to allow atleast 70% visible light transmission for front and rear glasses and atleast 50% VLT for side glasses.

Now the court interprets the law to read, no films or mediums of any kind what so ever which block any light. When we have fims which cater to the law's restrictions, why this Taliban Ban on films?

Courts cannot get away by wrong interpretations and then claim they only interpret the law.

An OT example. The Bombay prohibition act. This law states that without a liquor licence one cannot drink, store, manufacture or sell alcohol. How this law was interpreted by Mumbai police to harrass an innocent Mumbai chocolate maker? Can the police and court shrug away by claiming they were following the law?

The law also states the police need to have a search warrant to enter into my premises. My car is my property. How can court ask the police to forcibily strip my car windows of sun films? I can protect my property using force if necessary during a break in. Does it mean I can trash the police man who wants to remove my sun film?
apachelongbow is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th August 2012, 10:32   #447
BHPian

At the junction of Vittal Mallya, Kasturba road, at the traffic signal, I saw the cops picking a couple of vehicles with dark tints and fining them by issuing a challan on their blackberry. I also saw them with a digital camera taking snaps of Vehicles with tinted film parked at Vittal mallya road/ St. Marks road.

Bangalore police appears to be in overdrive after the SC rapping the state police on its knuckles. Which is a good thing. Only if such seriousness was also replicated when it came to use of high beams, arbitrary lane changing, wrong U turn etc.
Old 4th August 2012, 11:24   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Regarding the common man, not everyone who owns cars puts on films (would be 50:50 at best). So just because some of us who put on films don't like the rule, does not mean everyone has a grudge against it.
50:50 ??
Maybe in some place where the sun shines only for 90 days in a year. Definitely not in Chennai, where 9 out of 10 cars have some kind of protective film. And even those 1 out of 10 are those 'showy' types who want to be 'seen' in a car which is actually, a couple of segments higher than what someone in their income group can afford.

Last edited by Daewood : 4th August 2012 at 11:49.
Old 4th August 2012, 12:31   #449
Senior - BHPian

Today I got challaned for Sun Control Films here in Goa. Was firstly surprised as to why they have stopped me, then after informed by the police realised that I forgot this long back. They charged Rs.100/- and told me to remove the same afterwards very very politely.
They also informed that the instruction to them is to remove the film atleast partly and then challan but they are not touching the films.
When reached home and checked the newspaper there is a news mentioning hon'ble SC has warned Police dept to follow the order seriously or face action.
Old 5th August 2012, 20:12   #450
BHPian

Finally I got challaned yesterday for having sun control films on my car. Tried telling that the film is not dark, but they didnt listen to my argument. Had to pay Rs100 as fine. I tried removing the film today, the film comes out very easily, but the glue doesn't. Could complete only 1 door, will take the car to some shop and remove the rest.
Closed Thread