I will remove it before the deadline (DIY) 62 7.64%
I will remove it before the deadline (from a shop) 73 8.99%
I will ground my car and wait & watch for the order to change 375 46.18%
Mine are factory fitted and I can't remove them 39 4.80%
Voters: 812. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 14th August 2012, 02:05   #586
BHPian

Default Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Yeah, why just the tax? It should be the entire invoice amount including labour charges. But even that is a ridiculous solution because its just taxpayer's money that is being used to compensate for destruction of property. Similarly, companies, workers, shops, etc., should also demand compensation. But why should the tax payer pay for all this? Just because an absurd law and its absurd interpretation by one hon'ble individual? Absurd situation, absurd laws, absurd...
Exactly. I paid a huge amount of money to get my sunfilms and it is in the legal limit and I am not taking them off.

What I find strange is except the honourable SC judge no one in this country of 100+ crore people seemed to know about the correct implementation about the law, not the manufacturers (as they were selling sunfilms as accessories), not the dealers, not the RTO, not the police and even not the government who gave the licence to all the 3Ms and Garware people to sell their product in the Indian market.
.sourov is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 12:12   #587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs

erm..why only tax. They were sold as legal, remember!?
3M India should be taken to court. They still advertise sun control film for cars on their website which the court has now ruled as illegal! And so should Garware! They still have sun control automotive films on their website!
Old 14th August 2012, 12:30   #588
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Your reaction to the Sun Film Verdict? EDIT - Ban in effect post 25th July judgem

I removed the films from my Alto yesterday and the difference is immediately felt. Felt too hot.
I was protected by the films since 1999/00 and recalled the first tough filmy experience of that day out at night and amid traffic and heavy rains in the city.
Old 14th August 2012, 12:50   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedate View Post
Last night I was talking to a senior citizen(90+). He was telling me that, the law for maintaining 70% VLT and 50% VLT could have came out because, the safety glass celluloid layer(the central layer) used to darken all by itself, causing a tinting effect. So in 10 years time, the car`s front window will look like a yellowish(golden) tinted glass, reducing visibility.

A google search returned the following website with text

"The only disadvantage of early laminated glass was that the celluloid centre layer could discolour over time, leading to a tinted effect and even becoming opaque and separating; this is not uncommon on vintage cars."

Car Glass | The Knowledge | Features | octane
+1
That was the real reason why CMVR talks about 70/50 rule. Said the same a few pages back and the Supreme Court 'fans' didn't agree. If it was legally possible for the auto experts who wrote the rules in 1991 to testify, the verdict would have been different.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:00   #590
BHPian

Now guys (and gals). I really think we have spoken enough on this topic. We can seriously make a difference here. If each of us can collect a list of companies, like 3M and Garware, that continue to advertise sun films for cars, shops and dealers that continue to sell sun films and put them on cars, and register a complaint in the right forum - police, consumer court or even civil court that they are cheating the public because the product and service that they are continuing to sell has been declared illegal by the honorable supreme court, I think we can precipitate matters here.

Can we transform from a forum of words to a forum of action? Can we start collecting and posting the "illegal" activities of these entities and then collectively take action?

Here I start:
Product Companies still advertising sun control film for cars:
http://solutions.3mindia.co.in/wps/p...Control-Films/
http://www.garwaresuncontrol.com/pro...utomotive.html
http://www.v-koolindia.com/ - although their website doesn't seem to explicitly mention cars, their home page shows a car fitted with sun control film.
http://www.llumarindia.com/auto.htm

Last edited by ananth_iy : 14th August 2012 at 13:02.
Old 14th August 2012, 13:19   #591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_iy View Post
Here I start:
Product Companies still advertising sun control film for cars:
3M India: Sun Control Films
Automotive Window Tinting | Car Window Shades & Tinting | Automobile Window Tinting
V Kool India - although their website doesn't seem to explicitly mention cars, their home page shows a car fitted with sun control film.
Welcome to LLumar website
Has the Supreme Court banned selling Sunflims? I thought they just ordered public not use sunfilm on the vehicles..
Old 14th August 2012, 14:07   #592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k149in

Has the Supreme Court banned selling Sunflims? I thought they just ordered public not use sunfilm on the vehicles..
True. But if someone is selling sun films and advertising that it can be fixed on cars, would that not be illegal? They can advertise sun films for window panes for homes etc and that would be ok, but explicitly mentioning it's use in cars...?
Old 14th August 2012, 14:46   #593
Senior - BHPian

How strict is the enforcement of this rule in non-metro areas of TN and Kerala? I don't find police in Bangalore are very serious about it. Still see a lot of vehicles, including company buses running with very dark tints.
Old 14th August 2012, 15:19   #594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo
How strict is the enforcement of this rule in non-metro areas of TN and Kerala? I don't find police in Bangalore are very serious about it. Still see a lot of vehicles, including company buses running with very dark tints.
I agree. But you know what this will become another of those cash cows for the Administration. Whenever they are low on collection, they can pull you over and get 300 Rs from you. The same way they do to helmets today!
Old 14th August 2012, 15:45   #595
BHPian

Quote:
I agree. But you know what this will become another of those cash cows for the Administration. Whenever they are low on collection, they can pull you over and get 300 Rs from you. The same way they do to helmets today!

Can't really compare this with helmet and seat belt enforcement. Those two are life savers and complying is basic driving hygiene.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:33   #596
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal

Can't really compare this with helmet and seat belt enforcement. Those two are life savers and complying is basic driving hygiene.
The comparison was not from a perspective of their importance in the scheme of things but more from our attitude to their enforcement. If the Administration seriously was concerned about the common man's safety and life, they will ensure that people wear helmets and seatbelts not stop a few 2 wheelers whenever the coffers are short on budget. Anyway, that is OT.

All I am saying is that this sun film will be another of those where you will pay each time you get stopped. If the Administration is serious about preventing crime, they will pull the shutters on the manufactures and car decor shops that fix sunfilms on cars or levy heavy fines on them if they are caught fixing sunfilms on any car. Not stop motorists and ask for 100Rs.
Old 14th August 2012, 16:35   #597
BHPian

Believe this SC judgement will boost the morale of aam aadmi (Mr. Avishek Gupta, or whatever the name is) and hope he is encouraged to take up the case for minimizing traffic related genuine nuisances / safety threats like
  • Usage of shrill-sounding high decibel dual / multi-toned horns / unnecessary honking: Positive nuisance and already illegal, can have health effects, builds road rage. But for poor implementation and resultant one-upmanship, even the humble bicycle bell would be audible.
  • Usage of ultra-bright headlights and driving with high-beam in city: Same as above, just replace sound with light. Moreover, blinding light can also cause accidents.
Above practices are positively harmful with no benefit in sight. OTOH, sunfilm, that offers several benefits even when within reasonable VLT limit, is now banned completely because traffic police cannot check the VLT - because luxmeters cannot be deployed by the traffic police (someone said available for USD 13-15?). Talking about no permissible modification without RTO approval, would aftermarket seat covers, music system, floormat etc. be banned too? Not to talk about aftermarket horns, headlamps, tyres, carpet and so on!

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 14th August 2012 at 16:36.
Old 14th August 2012, 17:20   #598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
3M India should be taken to court. They still advertise sun control film for cars on their website which the court has now ruled as illegal! And so should Garware! They still have sun control automotive films on their website!
Quote:
Now guys (and gals). I really think we have spoken enough on this topic. We can seriously make a difference here. If each of us can collect a list of companies, like 3M and Garware, that continue to advertise sun films for cars, shops and dealers that continue to sell sun films and put them on cars, and register a complaint in the right forum - police, consumer court or even civil court that they are cheating the public because the product and service that they are continuing to sell has been declared illegal by the honorable supreme court, I think we can precipitate matters here.

Can we transform from a forum of words to a forum of action? Can we start collecting and posting the "illegal" activities of these entities and then collectively take action?
wow! you seem to be really angry with the sunfilm manufacturers for some reason .

The websites are not updated after the judgement was upheld. That is all! Where is the need to flame these companies for not removing these pages? They may have simply been waiting to see if the judgement came in their favour.

Walk in to any 3M car care outlet and try purchasing a 3M sunfilm - you cannot. They have all been instructed not to apply sunfilm on any car. As long as it is fixed in the ground level (selling/applying in shops/showrooms), that is what matters. What appears on the company website is not relevant. Besides, where are they 'advertising' sunfilms? They are not marketing it in the open. It is you (or us) who manually searched every nook and corner through the website to find the specific page describing their sunfilm range. They are the owners of their websites. They can have whatever they want on their sites' pages.

P.S - remember that VIPs are exempted from this law, so 3M can argue that VIPs may want to browse the website to see which sunfilm range to go for!
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2012, 18:59   #599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Walk in to any 3M car care outlet and try purchasing a 3M sunfilm - you cannot. They have all been instructed not to apply sunfilm on any car. As long as it is fixed in the ground level (selling/applying in shops/showrooms), that is what matters.

Mmm, not fully though. Down here in south, we can see brand new cars with sunfilms. My friend recently got garware installed from accessory shop. The shop didn't try and stop the sale and was gleefully going ahead with their job.

Now, why the person opted for the film in spite of the court banning it is one thing, and shops commercially going against the order is another thing. Maybe this is what ananth_iy meant to highlight.
Old 14th August 2012, 19:22   #600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK

wow! you seem to be really angry with the sunfilm manufacturers for some reason .
Don't get me wrong. There is no anger at all. I am only trying to garner the support of the rich and powerful. Even a 100 of us arguing with cops on the road will not help us, but if 2 or 3 of these powerful ones take it to heart, they can get a revision of the norms "to bring clarity". Fundamentally, it is the lack of clarity in the rule that permitted an interpretation that we are at the receiving end of.
Closed Thread