Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Old 30th May 2013, 19:44   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

If they are removing octroi @4.5 % in Mumbai and then charging LBT at 4% then what is the point ?

Just charging under different heads ? There should be some flat rate all across Maharashtra, then it makes sense. As long as I'm within the state and paying common State Road Tax what difference it makes ?

First pay road tax and then pay corporation, for what ? Anyway, parking at all places are Pay-n-Park.

Cheers
MKP
mkpiyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2013, 20:58   #47
BHPian

Default Re: Car registered outside Mumbai, but using in the city? PAY OCTROI, says the BMC

Hi everybody
Mumbai Mirror of 28/5/2013 has a picture of Sachin Tendulkar driving his BMW registration no MH 46 ......
No doubt he would have a proper address in his name under that jurisdiction but the purpose of this drive is to weed out cars that avoid paying full taxes and yet are used in Bombay city.
Wonder if he has ever been stopped by our cops.
Regards

Last edited by faustus77 : 30th May 2013 at 21:02.
faustus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 11:38   #48
BHPian

I had a query

I have a proper house registered in my name in Goa. I will be shifting to Goa maybe in 3-4 years from now. I was planning to buy a Ertiga in Goa. Obvious reasons are as it is cheaper by around 50k and also I will be moving there it will be easy to sell.

I go to Goa once a year by road and the address on my driving license is of Mumbai.

I wanted to know if I can drive the GA reg car freely in Mumbai in my case of a genuine address and how. I have the electricity bills etc and also the documents registered in my name.

Please guide. Thanks.
TaurusAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2014, 12:35   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
I wanted to know if I can drive the GA reg car freely in Mumbai in my case of a genuine address and how. I have the electricity bills etc and also the documents registered in my name.
Yes you can. The address is legit and you have the papers to prove it. I have my ML registered at my factory address and have been using the car in the city as well for the past 5 years now with no issues at all.
speedy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 10:36   #50
BHPian

Kind of an urgent query, i am moving to Mumbai on a temporary basis. I will be there for 8-10 months for a project and hence I am planning to take my car from Delhi (DL registered).

Obviously i do not want to re-register my vehicle in Mumbai. A friend told me there is some one year tax system which I can pay to the RTO and get a letter from them for the same and hence avoid on LBT/Octroi etc.

Any idea how to get it done, what are the requirements and is there any other alternative available as well?
kaks15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 11:24   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaks15 View Post
Kind of an urgent query, i am moving to Mumbai on a temporary basis. I will be there for 8-10 months for a project and hence I am planning to take my car from Delhi (DL registered).

Obviously i do not want to re-register my vehicle in Mumbai. A friend told me there is some one year tax system which I can pay to the RTO and get a letter from them for the same and hence avoid on LBT/Octroi etc.

Any idea how to get it done, what are the requirements and is there any other alternative available as well?
I have driven other state car in Mumbai for 4-5 years without an issue. Have crossed several nakas in and around Mumbai multiple times without even being stopped. Mumbai being the financial capital and also a tourist destination, no one bothers to stop other state cars.
gauravdgr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:12   #52
BHPian

Thanks but i would still prefer if there is any official way out
Old 22nd October 2014, 12:16   #53
BHPian

Quote:

Hi,
I had personally asked for 1 year tax at world RTO. It's not possible anymore.
Just keep your toll bills, PUC and some petrol bills from Delhi.
Hopefully there won't be a problem. I drove a KA car for over 4 years without an issue.
Never jump a signal.
If you are ever stopped, be nice and smile.
Generally Mumbai cops only stop you to ask your name (checking for alcohol smell) and not otherwise.
Keep your car simple, avoid flashy accessories/dark tints etc. Avoid attention.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:18   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks but i would still prefer if there is any official way out
The official way, is to have an out of state driving licence. The problem occurs when the car is registered outside but the driving licence has a local address. No worries as long as both are out of state.
lapsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2014, 15:30   #55
BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions guys, duly noted. However i am a bit surprised that there is no one time payment to RTO etc. where i have an official document stating that i am authorized by the RTO to use the car in the state.

Different taxes for different state, complicated tax structures and they do not have any official way out for someone who wants to actually work according to the system.

Need to watch 'Nayak' again today
Old 18th September 2016, 12:52   #56
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,

Can I change mulu car's registration number from MH-14 to MH-02?

For example - If I buy a used car in Mumbai registered as MH-14, can I change the registration number to MH-02 so that I can have the number of my choice?
Epic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 13:10   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

For example - If I buy a used car in Mumbai registered as MH-14, can I change the registration number to MH-02 so that I can have the number of my choice?
I dont think you can change the car plate from MH 14 to MH 02. Once you get the car changed to your name and address, they will ask you to pay up the octroi as well.
M00M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 13:30   #58
BHPian

Post deleted - not required.

Last edited by invidious : 18th September 2016 at 13:31. Reason: Didn't realize it is an old thread.
invidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2016, 16:18   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi guys,

No inside MH its not possible to change the number if transferring within MH. The RC card will get registered to the new RTO but the number remains.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2016, 17:51   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
... The RC card will get registered to the new RTO but the number remains.
Do we need to pay the Octroi along with it? And what's the amount charged for a pre-owned car registered outside the Mumbai city limits?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote