Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2012, 12:43   #256
BHPian

Default re: Petrol price hiked by Rs. 7.50. EDIT 1st March 2013 : Up by Rs. 1.4

This is Getting too much Now. Given the petrol prices " hyundai introduces Petrol Price Lock Assurance program for customers"

was Looking for ad in todays Delhi;s TOI Online and found this Article. A Noble way IMO to get some sales. Few pages back , some body was Predicting the same thing. Strange Coincidence

Hyundai introduces Petrol Price Lock Assurance program for customers| Zigwheels.com
Old 25th May 2012, 14:04   #257
BHPian

Does anyone remember the 2009 campaign ad by congress? You'll be "R.O.T.F.L.S.H.T.I.R.O.A.R.A.A.C.R.O.M.A.I.L." ing - Rolling On The Floor Laughing So Hard That I Roll Onto A Road And A Car Runs Over Me And I Live.

The sheer sarcasm of this video in these times.
Enjoy and have a great day. I still wonder why they are drowning bikes into the lakes. Ecological and Economical waste. That bike would have sold easily at a good price.

Regards
Old 25th May 2012, 14:27   #258
BHPian

I have no intention to continue the discussion on diesel price here. Maybe we can continue here.
fast&furious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 14:30   #259
Senior - BHPian

Even the BJP in Karnataka will meet the CM and ask him to reduce the taxes.

Also, I read that Andhra has more tax (33 vs 31 %)than Karnataka but the base price of fuel is less in Andhra which makes it cheaper there.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 14:38   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Even the BJP in Karnataka will meet the CM and ask him to reduce the taxes.

Also, I read that Andhra has more tax (33 vs 31 %)than Karnataka but the base price of fuel is less in Andhra which makes it cheaper there.
I am not sure, if prices in hyderabad is lower than blr.
But I feel true picture of economics deciding the pricing would be given by the Shell prices, which is costliest in Hyderabad in India.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:04   #261
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Just saw a Breaking News on www.economictimes.com -

Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 1066
Size:  80.1 KB

Unbelieveble Quater Profit of BPCL after Tax is Rs. 3,960 Crores, while durting same period last year it was - Rs. 935 Crores.

Please read above figure carefully - it is only for Quater 4 which means full year Profit will be atleast twice or three times of the above figure.

Where have all the losses gone??

Thanks,

Last edited by Jignesh : 25th May 2012 at 15:05.
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 15:36   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
This is Getting too much Now. Given the petrol prices " hyundai introduces Petrol Price Lock Assurance program for customers"

was Looking for ad in todays Delhi;s TOI Online and found this Article. A Noble way IMO to get some sales. Few pages back , some body was Predicting the same thing. Strange Coincidence

Hyundai introduces Petrol Price Lock Assurance program for customers| Zigwheels.com
At this rate of Petrol price hikes, I would rather own a Diesel Car than locking myself onto a "petrol car" which gives a mild heart attack every time they increase the petrol price.

I was about to decide on a petrol Hatch but i am leaning heavily towards an Oilburner now.
My options and assessments are below (Just listed -ves as i am less happier with positives but more worried about negatives . Something that Doesn't bug me keeps me happy)

Car -ves
a) Indica/Vista - Old design, Tata Service, unreliable quality
b) Micra -too small a service network
c) Polo - 3 pot Engine, high cost of spares, Safety issue,{Read Vento fires, vento and Polo being same plateform concerns me}
d) Swift - Not much change from old swift, Waiting period
e) Ritz - Looks not upto palate
f) Beat - Unknown Resale Value, Small boot
g) Figo - Low Mileage, uneven service, Bland Looks
h) I20 - Pricing
i) Liva - Bland Looks, design, Build quality
j) Punto- Fiat Brand, Uneven Service
i) Fabia- Skoda Service

Unfortunate thing for buyers like me is there are hardly any kind of discounts available on any of the diesel, on the flip side manufacturers have increased the pricing of their diesel models so much you can't get a diesel model unless you are willing to shell out atleast 110+ grand just for that diesel engine only the MRP, the actual price difference from petrol to diesel car based on discounts on petrols may turnout to be even higher.

Looking just at the negatives and my requirements of having a diesel only i may just settle one of the Beat or Figo.

Missed the "Midnight Sale" launched by Ford, not sure though that they offered any discounts or offers on ford Figo Diesel (Normally there is no discount or gifts on figo diesel),
Ford India Midnight Sale: 4,000 vehicles sold in one day

I just saw another sale planned by their crosstown rivals Chevy through TV ads (Blockbuster Weekend or something like that)
Chevrolet Blockbuster Weekend

Considering no manufacturer is offering any discounts or freebies on any of the diesel vehicle, this should be an window of opportunity for diesel buyers.

If nothing else atleast there wont be any more worries on monthly fuel bills. All other plus and minuses put together the beat diesel looks the best buy to me for the moment. Not sure how it is for others, but i sure like the looks of beat which when combined with a chevy service and great mileage should do the job for me.

Last edited by anu21v : 25th May 2012 at 15:45.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:44   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the VTEC guy View Post
While this petrol hike is already done there has been a talk about increasing diesel prices for some time or putting additional tax on Diesel cars. I thought of doing some analysis to figure out whether such a move(additional tax on new diesel vehicles) is going to help in balancing the diesel subsidy. Below is snap shot of my analysis. Took the data from April month segment wise sales figures, applied some assumptions and came to a figure of approx INR 9200 crore on annual sales of cars (may'11 to apr'12). Not sure if this number is too high or low to compensate the diesel subsidy. Not considered the commercial vehicles as don't have the data. Tried to consider the % diesel car sales and average price of car per segment on the higher side. Also considered 10% flat additional tax for diesel cars irrespective of the segment to arrive at above figure.
Assuming that this figure is sufficient would it not be injustice to new car buyers as the cost will be recovered from them while there will be millions of old diesel cars that will continue to enjoy the subsidy.
The annual diesel tax re-compensation transfer is quoted at Rs 67000 crores. The Tatas and the M&Ms in the world will straightaway ensure that the government doesn't impose such a tax on utility vehicles. The argument will be that a majority of them is used for rural transport. Take away Rs 3300 crores from that value. Even some B2 vehicles might be exempted. Tatas will clamor that a majority of their cars are sold to the taxi segment used for public transportation. So effectively they might end up with only half of Rs 9200 crores. Compared to the value of Rs 67000 crores it would probably end up at 5% of it. This conundrum will need a dictator to fix.
Old 25th May 2012, 17:57   #264
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

What a irony we have in this Country:

A lower middle or middle class person can manage to buy only a Honda Activa Scooter & his running cost will be Rs. 2 (Petrol rs. 80 & mileage of 40 kms per liter)

At the same time a upper middle class or rich person can buy a CNG Car & his running cost will be less than Rs. 2 (CNG Price of approx Rs. 35 & mileage of 16 to 20 kms per KG). Also a Diesel Car running will be not more than Rs. 2.5 per KM

It is strange that the Government is always claiming that it is protecting interest of Aam Aadmi, but what it is actually doing is make life harder for Aam Aadmi & life easier for other classes.

Thanks,
Old 25th May 2012, 18:21   #265
BHPian

Quoting Rediff: (Take the blatant spelling mistakes as a part and parcel of Rediff's usual excellence in journalism).

http://www.rediff.com/news/report/mu...l/20120525.htm

Last edited by NinadJoshi : 25th May 2012 at 18:24.
Old 25th May 2012, 21:43   #266
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Just read a News Article on The Times of India: Latest News India, World & Business News, Cricket & Sports, Bollywood & I don't understand whether to laugh or cry after reading it: Petrol price hike: Congress presses for relief, govt says no rollback

Full Article: Petrol price hike: Congress presses for relief, govt says no rollback - The Times of India

If Congress is pressing for Petrol Price reduction & same is what is demanded by parties like TMC, DMK, etc then who in Government saying no to rollback?

Is this sloppy journalism by Times of India or Political parties are trying to fool public?

Thanks,
Old 25th May 2012, 21:47   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh

Is this sloppy journalism by Times of India or Political parties are trying to fool public?
No, it's not sloppy journalism.
It's a sad commentary where the leader of government of India is not the leader of the leading party in government of India.
Sounds confusing?
Old 26th May 2012, 08:39   #268
BHPian

I believe managing the rupee was very critical, this is what RBI did in 1991 when there was a huge crisis and India had to pledge gold. RBI doled out upto 16% interest on dollar deposits, even now if RBI doles out 8% we can easily tide over the falling crisis of rupee. The irony is that international crude prices are on downward spiral but due to depreciating rupee we are compelled to increase the price of petroleum products. It is time that politics is not played on the public, the states should be advised to cut sales tax to 10% level and centre can reduce duties, the price of petrol will actually go down if this move is undertaken. Thank god diesel is spared for the time being otherwise inflation would go spiralling out of control.

With this steep increase in price of petrol, day will not be far off when we will see end of demand for petrol cars, and those who are owning petrol cars may not fetch a decent resale value. It is time we bid goodbye to favourite petrol cars, what do you feel guys

Last edited by ukderebail : 26th May 2012 at 08:41. Reason: add info
Old 26th May 2012, 10:44   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukderebail
With this steep increase in price of petrol, day will not be far off when we will see end of demand for petrol cars, and those who are owning petrol cars may not fetch a decent resale value. It is time we bid goodbye to favourite petrol cars, what do you feel guys
What you say is very true. Overall cost of running petrol cars and bikes are just increasing with every fuel hike. When this expenditure starts to eat through people's income drastically then everyone is going to stop buying petrol. Soon petrol cars are going to be very rare in the country and perhaps a day would come in which India would be the only country in the world with no petrol cars. Diesel vehicles are turning out to be a very good investment with recovery period now less than 2 years.

Manufactures can only offer discounts upto a certain limit after all making the cars do cost lakhs and not thousands. All these petrol lock and other schemes are only a trap for the petrol car buyer because after 7months they are going to be left with a vehicle whose cost of running increases half yearly.

This being India we cannot hope that the next political party that comes into power will be any different than the present one. As one BHPian pointed out we are living in a Kleptocracy and the common man will just be fooled by the votebank politics into prostration to a power who doesnt give a damn about the aam aadmi's problems.

This government is very much axing the branch which they campaigned about back in 2009. It is funny how they have proceeded with their entire rule. A prime minister who doesnt speak to the masses, a finance minister whose only solution seems to be increasing taxes on every damn thing, a political leader who has no connect with the population and a young turk who just seems to deliver false promises. It is because of the callousness and lackadaisical attitude with respect to change that has resulted in complete policy failure.

Id like to end with a quote which may sound off topic but it does explain quite a lot why we have become such a country.
"The worst illiterate is the political illiterate, he doesn't hear, doesn't speak, nor participates in the political events. He doesn't know the cost of life, the price of the bean, of the fish, of the flour, of the rent, of the shoes and of the medicine, all depends on political decisions. The political illiterate is so stupid that he is proud and swells his chest saying that he hates politics. The imbecile doesn't know that, from his political ignorance is born the prostitute, the abandoned child, and the worst thieves of all, the bad politician, corrupted and flunky of the national and multinational companies" - Bertolt Brecht.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 12:25   #270
BHPian

Doesnt this mean that Govt is trying to encourage diesel? And isnt diesel more polluting that petrol?
I have seen n number of debates over this, but each time a Cruze zips past emitting black smoke all around, cant digest the fact that petrol pollutes more.
Can someone throw light into this?
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread